Replace Johnny Rockets with In-n-Out burger

thread got me looking, but can not find one - heading to UC Berkeley this weekend - have one near there anyone know?

Lucky that I have to go to Prescott AZ twice a year, and In N Out a required stop; Have a JR here in Daytona Beach and would prefer In N Out on board

I believe the closest one to Berkeley is in Oakland. Looks like it's near the airport. There are many around the Berkeley area. I would check out their website for locations. I now have one in my home town. I remember many of times my husband and I would always stop on our way down to southern california. Love In and Out!

BPWJR,

There is an In-N-Out in Oakland, or across the bay in downtown San Fran.

Check out the website:

http://www.in-n-out.com/locations.asp

Type in Berkeley in the city, and California in the state. I saw three locations - one in Oakland, one across the bay in downtown San Fran, and one north of Berkeley.

Good luck - I would make the drive even if it is out of the way. Also - have one for me, the closest one to me is a 4 hour drive.

Cheers,

Are you talking about The Greeks in Milford? I worked at their competition, Paul's, while I was in college.

NO, The Greeks in Milford was opened by former workers at Tomlinsons which is in Bridgeport.

God I haven't been to Pauls in a few years , they always had good food :)

Are you still in CT?

I have never tried that place. Dh and I always look for new places to go for a good hoagie. Now I can tell him that I found a place thanks to you!!!!:) What other local spots do you like?

Can't beat a Wawa hoagie in Havertown. Moved to SJ and they make them different here. Try Cawley's Tavern on West Chester Pike if you are looking for a great steak sandwich. I miss Delco food. Not only can you not find a good steak sandwich or hoagie we are over run by Italian restaurants and must have a ban on Irish Pubs.

Now on topic, my son got a burger from JR's on the ship and it looked the same and he said it tasted the same as the one in Windjammer. Didn't think it was special at all.

In honor of every In N Out Burger fan on this thread since I am off today I am going to go through the Drive Thru and order a double CB (with onions), and fries WELL DONE (as suggested kindly by a CC poster). No milk shake. They are delicious but way too filling.

I am really sorry that some of you don't have access.

In the picture the hamburger patty actually looks bigger than in reality.

The hamburger comes wrapped in paper.

See the sauce at the bottom.

Just wanted you to see what you can expect when you have the opportunity to enjoy your first one.

I had my first one in California on vacation and had to wait sev yrs until one was built here in Az. You wonder why they don't branch out any faster than they are.

home_center.jpg

Thanks for the info. We do have a place similar called five guys burgers and fries. They use all fresh never frozen beef and fresh cut potatos as well. I have never been to JR's yet but I'm sure it can't compete with the place you have described. All of this burger talk is starting to make me hungry. LOL:)

Five Guys . . . cajun fries . . . . yummmm . . . .

(falling into saturated fat induced trance . . . .)

As much food as I over-consume on a cruise, the LAST thing I need is 24 hour access to Five Guys burgers and fries! :D

Oh, and to have a Sonic here for the tater tots and malts . . . . sigh.

We have In and Out burger here in AZ. The burgers are Ok and the shakes are really really good but the fries are horrible (limp) so I pass the place by. I've never had JR so I cannot compare but I would like to know about their fries. If they are not nice and crispy I would pass them by as well.

I always ask for my fries "well done". They aren't as limp.

Edited......this is the first time I didn't read thru the entire thread before posting and now I see why I should always read the entire thread first. I see so many others recommended the same thing.

One last thought. I think the reason they show a double cheeseburger is because the hamburger patty is so small looks really skimpy in a regular cheeseburger.

home_center.jpg

Man that does look tasty :)

Ya know since this thread started I have been checking out the websites of these places to get a look at all the food you guy have been talking about that we sadly cannot get in Connecticut.

Yes i know that in print ads and commercials they pay food artists a lot of money to make food look especially fantastic. But i have to say In and Out Burger and Backyard Burger look really really good :)

Compared to the , the crap they serve at Mickey D's and Burger King doesn't even look like food :(

DISNEYBLONDE: Congratulations on your new home, many years of happiness there :)

While In N Out is great and I grew up eating and loving them, I have to admit, I feel "Bakers Drive-Thru" cheeseburgers are even better. (There's something about the cheese is better. I'm not sure what it is but I think its a thicker slice. And the way it melts on the burger is perfect.)Unfortunately, Bakers is only in the Inland Empire area of southern California.

http://www.bakersdrivethru.com/newweb/02-24-07.php

There used to be one about a mile from my house, but it closed. (Which I don't understand because there was always a bunch of people in there whenever I went.) Now, the closest one is about 10 miles away, so I only go there for lunch if I happen to be running errands in the area.

So if you are ever in the San Bernardino, Riverside, or Ontario area of SoCal, give their cheeseburgers a try.

:eek: Do they allow that kind of talk on these boards???

lol

I was wondering if anyone mentioned the bumper stickers that I remember when I lived in LA. The original bumper sticker said "In-N-Out Burger". But some were known to modify it when it was on their car, so that it read "In-N-Out urge" :D

Never had In & Out or Johhny Rockets, so can't comment. The best places out here are: Cheeburger Cheeburger, Five Guys, and Fuddruckers. Any of those would be a nice addition to a Cruise Ship.

Krystal is a Southeast US thing. Tiny little paper thin burgers. It is defintitely someting to do once in your life, but you won't care to do it twice.

We have Cheeburger Cheeburger here. Johnny Rockets is a pretty similar concept, but I think I like Cheeburger Cheeburger better, because of all the intereesting combinations of toppings you can choose from.

You wonder why they don't branch out any faster than they are.

They don't branch out faster for a reason...

This is not some big stock-driven public company...it's a FAMILY operation, believe it or not, maybe one of the most successful in history...

There are some other quirks as well that separate them from the McDonalds and Burger Kings of the world...

They pay their help better...

Their "benefits" far exceed what the big corporations give their employees...

Their managers seem to stay with them forever...

They don't have freezers...everything is delivered fresh daily...

Basically, they personally oversee every store...

The fear is that if they branch out too far and too fast and venture too far from home, they will lose a lot of that...

There has been a small rift in the family in recent years though (since the matriarch's death)...Some family members want to go big time while others want to keep it local...It's an ongoing struggle right now...

Krystal is a Southeast US thing. Tiny little paper thin burgers. It is defintitely someting to do once in your life, but you won't care to do it twice.

Whoa now! You've gone from preaching to meddling! :D Krystal is God's gift to the human taste bud. I spent 16 days in the Republic Of Georgia several years ago eating some of the most wonderful things I have ever tasted but when I got back home, the first place I went from the airport was to Krystal. The burgers may be small but the way they steam the buns with the onions - aaahhhh! :D :D :D

Started in 1948 in Southern California. For most of their years, they were just a small chain family owned and operated here in So Cal. In 1993, the owner died in a plane crash and the rest of the family (his children) took over. It is still a family run chain, but since his death, they have expanded into Nevada and Arizona. They are made fresh daily and never frozen, and if you go there, you will see that they use real potatos for their fries and cut the potatos daily, all day. There is always a line, no matter what time of the day or night you go. And the drive-thru line can be 30 mintues long or more. Can you tell I love them?

mmmm, sounds yummy. I have also never heard of it.

Whoa now! You've gone from preaching to meddling! :D Krystal is God's gift to the human taste bud. I spent 16 days in the Republic Of Georgia several years ago eating some of the most wonderful things I have ever tasted but when I got back home, the first place I went from the airport was to Krystal. The burgers may be small but the way they steam the buns with the onions - aaahhhh! :D :D :D

Must be the "chili pup" keeping them going. I guess somebody like the burgers since this place hs been around forever.

They don't branch out faster for a reason...

This is not some big stock-driven public company...it's a FAMILY operation, believe it or not, maybe one of the most successful in history...

There are some other quirks as well that separate them from the McDonalds and Burger Kings of the world...

They pay their help better...

Their "benefits" far exceed what the big corporations give their employees...

Their managers seem to stay with them forever...

They don't have freezers...everything is delivered fresh daily...

Basically, they personally oversee every store...

The fear is that if they branch out too far and too fast and venture too far from home, they will lose a lot of that...

There has been a small rift in the family in recent years though (since the matriarch's death)...Some family members want to go big time while others want to keep it local...It's an ongoing struggle right now...

Maybe the benefits and the fact that its still family owned explains why they have most pleasant employees. They ALWAYS have a smile and pleasant voice. When they say, "Welcome to InNOut...How are you today?...May I take your order?", etc, they say it with a smile on their face that looks genuine and they sound like they are really happy to wait on you. I've even asked to speak to the managers to tell them what pleasant employees they have. Their service is the best.

Formerly from Southern Cal and have been living in St. Louis for 14 years, we're currently in Northern California & the bay area on vacation. My husband has made 5 visits to In-N-Out since our arrival.

His response after a bite of that first single cheese/animal style, "Oh sweet mommy!"

Archived