AB Room with a toddler

manclad

We shall be doing the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Star in October.

Myself, my wife and my son (will be having his second birthday on the cruise) are booked into an AB type room and luckily for us his grandparents (who are coming over from England for the cruise) are going to be in a mini suite next door.

A couple of questions:

Will my parents be able to do things like the special boarding etc. with us or will we be split up?

Any advice on what we should bring re. toddler?

Does the second (kids bedroom) have a crib in it or do we need to request one?

Will my parents be allowed to have breakfast with us in our room - I really like the idea of not all having to head out for breakfast.

Finally - Are the AB rooms OK space and storage wise (little kids need a bunch of stuff)!!

Myself, my wife and my son (will be having his second birthday on the cruise) are booked into an AB type room and luckily for us his grandparents (who are coming over from England for the cruise) are going to be in a mini suite next door.

A couple of questions:

Will my parents be able to do things like the special boarding etc. with us or will we be split up?

Will my parents be allowed to have breakfast with us in our room - I really like the idea of not all having to head out for breakfast.

Finally - Are the AB rooms OK space and storage wise (little kids need a bunch of stuff)!!

Shouldn't be a problem with your parents boarding with you.

There are no cribs in any cabins unless you request one. I've heard others say that they preferred to bring their own pack and play type unit and use that. I'm not sure if the crib will actually fit in the 2nd bedroom now that I think about it, it may have to go in the living room area.

You can have breakfast with anyone you want. Just place the order the night before, there will be a form to fill out and hang out on the door or give to your bulter the prior evening. If you want something that isn't on the list just write it in.

The AB will have plenty of storage space......we didn't use 1/2 of the storage on our last cruise in an AB on the STAR.

A couple of questions:

Check out the family board for lots of great tips for traveling with a toddler!

If you booked through a TA, the TA will have to request the crib for you. If you booked through NCL then you can do it yourself. Make sure to call them the week before you sail to confirm the crib request. We brought my daughters favorite bedsheet and blanket to make her feel more at home.

Bring a baby monitor to put in the kids room. There are 2 doors plus the pocket doors between the master bedroom and the kids room. You can't hear anything from the kids room without a monitor.

Also, if your child can open doors, block the hallway door with a suitcase, stroller etc at night, as they could wander right out into the hallway since the kids room opens into the alcove, you'd never hear it if you are a sound sleeper.

A crib would fit in the kids room. They gave us an actuall crib rather than a pack n play which we've always have in our AFs.

We also always bring one of the those small inflatable pools to put on the balcony since diapers aren't allowed in the regular pools.

You'll love the AB!

The 2nd bedroom is small and as long as the bed isn't made out, you will be ok putting a crib in it. We took our daughter when she was 18 months and requested the down comfortors and made a bed on the floor for her. that way didn't have to worry about falling out of bed and she would have never went for a pack n play. (comfort reasons) The doors are somewhat heavy and I can't imagine your child being able to open the door alone. I too would probably put something in front of the door as your bedroom will be secluded and you may not hear if the door opened. I would bring a monitor too.

The AB suite is wonderful. You'll be so spoiled you may not want to cruise another line. We sailed several other ships after the AB suite on the Star and nothing else compared. (with the exception of our sailing the star again in the garden villa)

If you have other questions, feel free to ask!

But just one for now.....

Do they have high chairs in all the restaurants?

There will be highchairs in all the diningrooms, including the specialties BUT they don't always have the trays that go with them. So if your little one is a climber, you might want to consider bringing a small booster seat from home. We were so glad we did! The one we have folds up and has a shoulder strap that can be hung from the handle of our stroller. If you think your son will be okay with a highchair without a tray you can leave the booster at home!!!!

Hi!

What cabin # are you in? We were on the star June 06 and was in an AB with 2 boys (6 & 9). You have the perfect set up! It is awesome. The separate bedroom has a sofa that pulls out into a full sized bed and then the single bed that is like a top bunk. There is a separate bathroom and closet/storage area in that small room. Our steward propped open the room during the day and we closed it at night when the boys went to sleep. You should have plenty of room for all the extras.

Here are a few answers to some of your questions...

We had friends sailing with us and they boarded us all together. It wasn't a problem at all!

There is a built in DVD player in your room, so if he has any special movies.

Our butler took our orders for our in room meals the day before we wanted them. Remember you can order from any of the rest. to be brought in. We ordered from 3 different rest. for our meal for one night. You will have enough space for all of you in your suite to sit and eat at the dining table. Just place your order for everybody. (yes, they will even bring peanut butter/jelly and grilled cheese for the little guy)

Just for thought.....you have a large garden tub in your suite that has a picture window that looks onto the balcony and outside. My youngest would get a pillow and lie down in the window with his binoculars. That was a favorite spot..............hey if all else fails....let the little guy sleep in the huge tub...:p

Have a great cruise.......

The AB will be great for you situation. Sleeping on the floor might be a great solution if he is not ready for a bed.

Hint - think seriously about buying one of those $20 umbrella strollers. Too many people travel with those strollers that are about the size on Ford Focus and wonder why they have trouble getting around.

You might want to vist the FAMILY boards as well.

Archived