Anyone that books during hurricane season (esp. Aug & Sept.)

Maryandi

Yes, folks, this is what you get : missed connections, hotels under seige, full of refugees, ship can't get back to port, ship can't refill food, ports available sometime, alot of manouvering to make nice for you-not always possible.

You get the picture- so don't book now and expect perfection and all your money back and whining and boo hoo. You are gamblers and sometimes you get the Bear and sometimes the Bear gets you.

Good Luck and 'gooder luck' to all my fellow Floridians on the west coast !

MaryAnn

Post is pretty much same as the Princess board.

Just because you may have a rule in not cruising the Caribbean in August/September, doesn't mean other people must follow suit. Just as you may have reasons for travelling a certain time of the year, these same Aug/Sept cruisers do also. The last I saw, the cruise season doesn't all of a sudden stop for this time period.

Of 13 cruises, ten have been in hurricane season, 9 in September and 1 in August. We have always had a great cruise...the itin was changed only twice. Once from western to eastern...ok with us ...we love St.Thomas! The other time was a southern cruise...we just did the itin backwards and had perfect weather. The cruise line will never put it's passengers or ship in danger. The weather is still great in September. We have another booked for next month and can't wait! It is our favorite time of the year to cruise!!!

Post is pretty much same as the Princess board.

Just because you may have a rule in not cruising the Caribbean in August/September, doesn't mean other people must follow suit. Just as you may have reasons for travelling a certain time of the year, these same Aug/Sept cruisers do also. The last I saw, the cruise season doesn't all of a sudden stop for this time period.

I don't think the OP was saying not to cruise, but cruise with your eyes wide open. And, don't whine, complain, seek compensation, etc., if things do not go as expected. I remember several years ago when pax on a CCL cruise came very close to rioting (literally) when the ship missed many ports of call. They had taken over a part of the ship, en mass. One of the things they were "demanding" was an open bar as compensation --- yea, I'm sure giving them that would have helped the situation immensely.

My West Point "upbringing" always reminds me of an important 4-word phrase -- i.e., the "consequence of your actions"........!!! That's what I think the OP is trying to drive home, nothing more, nothing less!!

I also have cruised several times in September and no it has not been perfect. I have also cruised in months like March/April and there has been problems too. My anniversary and birthday fall at this time and I am williing to take the chance. Prices are cheaper and in September the kids are at minimum. It's worth it to me. Not all complain!

You are gamblers and sometimes you get the Bear and sometimes the Bear gets you.

As far as your gambling analogy, I think your odds of getting in a car accident on the way to the pier are greater than getting hit by a hurricane at sea. I hope you're not thinking of driving to the pier.....

That's exacly what I mean. We, who cruise now, are gamblers, and should go with the flow.

I have read many reviews here and other places on the web from people who are demanding free cruises, money back, etc,etc - those are the people I was addressing not the ones that know the element of risk going in.

In no way was I targeting or demeaning anything that is going on now and my tone of writing was not meant to be so harsh.

The Princesses on the other board - thought I was insulting hurricane victims or something. (we have victims in my family right now).

MaryAnn:cool:

OR those cruisers could be school teachers or other workers who can only get time off during hurricane season. Hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30. If that's not enough, there have been hurricanes during most of the other months of the year. Yes it is not as common, but in the tropics there are no guarantees. Living is the gamble. It is easy to say that you can avoid this or that danger by being elsewhere. Let's see, there are blizzards, tornadoes, ice storms, hurricanes, earth quakes, droughts, high crime areas, terrorist attacks etc. Now exactly WHERE is it safe?

A note about the thread Wowzo began on the other line, the one where members thought he/she was "insulting hurricane victims or something": The thread was begun with a red FROWNY face rather than a yellow SMILEY face and was worded in a slightly more negative way than the post that Wowzo began on this board. I have read both and am surprised at the difference and curious as to the motivation. I invite you to read and compare both threads and to draw your own conclusions as to why the responses that followed were different.

I don't think the OP was saying not to cruise, but cruise with your eyes wide open. And, don't whine, complain, seek compensation, etc., if things do not go as expected. I remember several years ago when pax on a CCL cruise came very close to rioting (literally) when the ship missed many ports of call. They had taken over a part of the ship, en mass. One of the things they were "demanding" was an open bar as compensation --- yea, I'm sure giving them that would have helped the situation immensely.

My West Point "upbringing" always reminds me of an important 4-word phrase -- i.e., the "consequence of your actions"........!!! That's what I think the OP is trying to drive home, nothing more, nothing less!!

The OP was specifically about cruising in Aug/Sept and hurricances. Perhaps next time, the poster could point out the "many people" whining and asking for a free cruise, money back, etc BECAUSE of hurricanes. I just don't see that specifically. The posts that I have read were, in general, supportive.

IF, the OP was a generality about whining and complaining (which it wasn't), these types of post can be tuned out by not reading.

Richard, please have a look at wowzo's Princess post - you will note a harsher tone and understand perhaps why the post struck a chord with the "princesses".

My favorite month to cruise in is September. Perfect weather, low cruise fares, round trip air for $98, cheap hotels, and don't have to fly out of Rochester in the winter. I'll take my chances with a hurricane, and go into this knowing full well that our entire itinerary could be changed, we might miss ports, miss flights, have rough sees, etc... Call me adventurous, but I'll take my chances, and wouldn't even consider whining about it.

If you are not a person that can "roll with the punches", don't book during hurricane season. If you are more flexible, then it's a perfect time to cruise!

We have cruised many times in Sept., maybe 15 times. And will again in 3 weeks. Yes its a gamble and so far its been OK.[knock wood]. Remember Aug. Sep. are the peak months, but "hurricane season lasts 6 of 12 months. Many from the north don't realize that and can have unexpected cruise interuptions/changes because an early or late storm hit. Also June, July, and August are all in the season but many parents consider only that school is out and vacation MUST be taken then. If those folks have hurricane problems, of course they'll be upset. Thats why there are so many disclaimers on the cruise tickets.Good luck to all cruisers all year.

Dan

We are sailing the western Caribbean in mid-Oct. DH is hoping for a little hurricane or other type of excitement. He says anyone in the cruise ship business should be able to provide good food, service and accomodations during a non-event cruise. If during a cruise that has unusual circumstances you still a good time with good service and accomodations, then they have truly succeeded.

I live in the midwest. We have to deal with blizzards here from mid October until the end of May. It's a crap shoot either way. My best cruises have been in September and November. My worst was in January (#$@# weather) and rough seas. A fall cruise will always be my first choice. The weather is beautiful. There are few kids and the prices are pretty good. I get insurance just to be on the safe side.

I agree. On Paradise we arrived in Belieze in May to find high waves everywhere and it was pretty obvious we weren't going to make it in (Personally I didn't want to tender in those condtions anyways) So the port was closed and we had to leave...

OMG the whining! "I only booked this cruise to go to Beleize I want all my money back..." Blah, Blah Blah!!! When Explorer of the Seas was diverted to an eastern itinerary I though I'd have to throw someone overboard! "San Juan is too poor!" I'm sure Grand Caymen in a tropical storm would have been soooo much better than PR on a sunny day! Ugh! Persoanlly, all my diversions meant better weather as we avoided storms. That's the great thing about cruise, islands don't move out of the way of a storm, ships go someplace with better weather.

I live in the midwest. We have to deal with blizzards here from mid October until the end of May. It's a crap shoot either way. My best cruises have been in September and November. My worst was in January (#$@# weather) and rough seas. A fall cruise will always be my first choice. The weather is beautiful. There are few kids and the prices are pretty good. I get insurance just to be on the safe side.

Lilylady - I'm with you!!! We even do all land vacations out of season (April & October usually). We go to the Outer Banks every year in October, rent an oceanfront house, almost have the beach to ourselves, our dog runs unleashed on the beach, the weather is phenomenal - not 95 degrees w/95% humidity, no reservations are needed for most restaurants and there's no traffic!

Wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

It was funny about the poster who mentioned the near-riot after ports were changed. We did have to change ports from Cozumel to Nassau to avoid Isabel, and on RCCL, when the captain made the announcement, he apologized for the inconvenience and let everyone know that drinks WERE INDEED free all day until the first seating at dinner.

That's being proactive! Lost some drink dollars, but put everyone in a good mood and I'm sure we all kept the party going even after we had to pay for drinks again!

Brian

It seems to me that if for some reason you want to vacation in September a cruise is a good choice. At least the ship can rearrange itinerary to avoid a hurricane but if you are booked in a land based resort that is in the path I guess your vacation is pretty well shot.

Sometimes when you post something 2x - the wording is different.

The critic's ( that's CC) all have a point of view - as I have.

We all know people on cruises that have complained all the time - so - it's nothing new but no less pleasant.

Has anyone gone to the cruise section of planetfeedback.com ? That is full of whiners (and some legit, if you believe it all)-those are the people to whom I was referring.

I was trying to think what about your original post got to me:confused: and I think I know what it is now.

I think that because it seemed to come out of nowhere and left me thinking 'I didn't say anything'.

Most of us that travel around this time would never think of complaining if something happened due to a hurricane.

I think that maybe you should have directed your post to an individual who was actually complaining instead of second guessing those who haven't complained.

I think that most of us are fully aware of the change in the weather that has recently happened and we'll deal with whatever the consequence of booking at this time are.

I Imagine, to many of our Northern Friends.....Hurricanes are the last thing to enter their mind when planning a cruise......It's not a regular part of their lives.

Call me a Bleeding Heart, but I feel sorry for anyone whose plans get messed up.

I've also been on Many Cruises in September and October and have never encountered a serious problem.

They just change itineriries or sail around it.

Of course, living in Florida, I don't have to worry about missed flights.

x

Archived