Deck Chair Hogs

As I have reviewed the various discussion topics, it seems that one of the biggest complaints is deck chair hogs. It seems that RCCL does not enforce the rules in conduct policy in this instance (the saving of chairs is not allowed).

We are going on our first cruise with RCCL in July (LOS), and believe me, I do not want to get in an argument with someone, but I am not above moving someone's stuff if they are not around. I would ask those in the area first.

Have others done this?

never bothered to move someones things always was able to find a chair somewhere ! Not worth getting into an agument with someone....

We always leave someone at our chairs keeping an eye on things, esp when we take a dip in the pool or a trip to the restroom..we try not to be away from chairs for longer than 15 min.

I would NEVER touch somebody else's stuff..........too much liability issues to be honest in today's world........but I sure wouldn't hesitate telling a pool attendant..............

Normally I can find a deck chair at the pool.........now the WORST is the theatre chair hogs.:)

Last cruise I was on the deck police were out in full force! It was awesome.

Matter of fact, I lucked into two chairs next to each other and was blamed for moving some guy's stuff. I did not, in fact, touch it. It had been removed by the pool staff.

Matter of fact, I lucked into two chairs next to each other and was blamed for moving some guy's stuff. I did not, in fact, touch it. It had been removed by the pool staff.

WOW, that I would like to see. I so wanted to move peoples stuff last March but do not have the nerve. Who wants to get in a fist fight on a cruise? I want to be tan, not black and blue:p

I don't move their stuff, I just add my own stuff to their chair. I always bring a bag full of old underwear. I turn the underwear inside out so the skidmarks are visible. I then leave these little gifts right on top of the chair hogs personal belongings.....:eek:

Just an idea....

Print out some real authentic looking cards/sheets of paper with a RCI logo that says "Please Do Not Save Chairs" on them and place on the chairs being saved. Then sit back and watch the fun.

That has got to be one of the most unique (and funniest) ideas I've heard. If someone tries it, please post and let us know how it went.

We were on the Liberty last week and we had tickets to the ice show on Friday.

Because of intra-family miscommunication, we ended up getting to the theatre just before the show started. We perused the seats for empties and were willing to split up but we did notice about 6 seats WAY up front (by the stage) so we headed for them.

When we got all the way up there and approached the seats, the guy on the end (the empties were next to him) said he was saving the seats for his wife and daughter. We pointed out that the Cruise Compass clearly states that there is no saving of seats allowed and that the show was about to start (the lights were dimming by this point. I certainly didn't want to disrupt people trying to see the show by climbing back out and going to other seats). He was all huffy but my DH and I sat there and my kids took two behind us. There were still three or four seats there, so how many people was he saving for? A few did eventually come and sit with him.

By the way, a few other people, after us, came for those seats and left when he said they were saved. It was very disruptive for those trying to see the start of the show and those who had come all the way to the front and then had to start their search again.

Chair saving is a pet peeve of mine.

For the shows, I intend on getting there about 20 minutes before the start and if the room is full of saved seats, I will ask an RCCL staff to help me find two seats. Surely the chair hogs would not tell a staff member that the seats are being saved for others??? ;)

Happy Cruising To All

Chubbas XX

On a recent cruise, I was seriously peeved when there were rows of seats with towels on them in the Solarium!! So I said in a loud voice that I am not putting up with this and am calling security as my elderly mother would like to sit down. Everyone 'got busy' and two loungers miraculously became vacant:D :eek:

On a recent cruise, I was seriously peeved when there were rows of seats with towels on them in the Solarium!! So I said in a loud voice that I am not putting up with this and am calling security as my elderly mother would like to sit down. Everyone 'got busy' and two loungers miraculously became vacant:D :eek:

Good on you....if nothing is said then they win :D :) :D

Chubbas XX

I personally think that moving someones stuff from their chairs is rude and unneccesary. Thnk about it, would you want some stranger touching your stuff? Some people just don't have the decency to bring their stuff with them. Face it, there will always be people like that in the world, but what goes around comes around...

I personally think that moving someones stuff from their chairs is rude and unneccesary. Thnk about it, would you want some stranger touching your stuff? Some people just don't have the decency to bring their stuff with them. Face it, there will always be people like that in the world, but what goes around comes around...

I think it is extremely rude and unnecessary to hog chairs and if they cared that much about their stuff, then they shouldnt leave it unattended for hours on end :mad:

Chubbas XX

We were on the Liberty last week and we had tickets to the ice show on Friday.

Because of intra-family miscommunication, we ended up getting to the theatre just before the show started. We perused the seats for empties and were willing to split up but we did notice about 6 seats WAY up front (by the stage) so we headed for them.

When we got all the way up there and approached the seats, the guy on the end (the empties were next to him) said he was saving the seats for his wife and daughter. We pointed out that the Cruise Compass clearly states that there is no saving of seats allowed and that the show was about to start (the lights were dimming by this point. I certainly didn't want to disrupt people trying to see the show by climbing back out and going to other seats). He was all huffy but my DH and I sat there and my kids took two behind us. There were still three or four seats there, so how many people was he saving for? A few did eventually come and sit with him.

By the way, a few other people, after us, came for those seats and left when he said they were saved. It was very disruptive for those trying to see the start of the show and those who had come all the way to the front and then had to start their search again.

Chair saving is a pet peeve of mine.

...when it is legitimate. My wife and I went to the Marquee show las week with some others in our group. We went in and claimed our seats and shortly thereafter nature called and said, "NOW!!" I complied...my wife had to turn several folks away and even the explanation that I had to go to the rest room didn't seem to be appreciated. She felt quite guilty...

It never crossed my mind that when people left belongings on pool chairs, they intended to come back for them. I just assumed everybody followed the rules and that they were not "reserving" chairs, but simply were leaving out items they no longer wanted in case someone else wanted them. I always bring an extra suitcase with me when I cruise and have filled it up with items people left on the chairs by the pool and then I donate them to the homeless in the port of disembowelkation. Makes for a great tax deduction!

IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM JOIN THEM! I NOW AM PART OF THE CHAIR HOG CLUB. I RESERVE MY POOL CHAIR AT 9AM.

GOT TIRED OF CRUISE AFTER CRUISE GOING TO THE POOL AT SAY NOON AND ALL CHAIRS ARE SPOKEN FOR. HALF OF THE CHAIRS THERE IS NOBODY LAYING ON IT JUST EMPTY CHAIRS WITH PERSONAL STUFF ON IT TO SHOW IT IS RESERVED. ONE CRUISE I HAD TO LAY ON THE FLOOR WITH MY TOWEL :eek:

NOW THAT I AM A POOL CHAIR HOG I GET THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE :)

The only time that I have had a problem finding a chair is at sail away when absolutely everyone is on deck! And I would never consider moving someones personal items from a chair to use it' date=' I'm a big wuss! :D [/b']

Yes, you are!! :D :D

On a recent RCCL cruise my wife and I went down at 7:00 am to get some seats by the pool. There were towels, books, thongs (oh sorry flip flops not underwear) on just about every chair near the pool.. Funny thing was that there were only about 25 people at the pool that early.

I just went up to the Pool Staff and asked them to assist me in finding two deck chairs preferably near the pool. They gladly assisted by picking up towels and books and placing them behind the bar. Nuff said...

When the elderly lady and her blind son came to sit in their seats...no kidding. :eek: Someone actually did come up around 10am to claim their seats and I let them know where their belongings were. Nothing else was said.

Thanks you Pool Staff.

By they way... we went to the Solarium pool the last sea day and the same Pool staff person was removing items from chairs that had been there for over an hour with no body in the seat.

Why sweat the small stuff...let the staff do the dirty work.:D

This is great to hear. In case I need to complain, could some of the experienced cruisers suggest as to who it would be most effective? Thanks in advance.

I do not want to go overboard on this. It is a vacation, and getting mad hurts me, not the other person.

BTW, anything that I value would not be left for any length of time.

Archived