Need help from NJ people...

I've been on the pre/post cruise boards trying to get answers but there just doesn't seem to be enough traffic there. I am trying to figure out if it's better to stay in Jersey City or in Elizabeth (Newark Airport). I have heard good things about the Hyatt in JC but it doesn't sound like it's very close to the pier?

What is the best way to get to the pier from JC if we stay there. If Elizabeth is better anybody have ideas for hotels and what is the best way to get to the pier and how much? Thanks for all your help.

Carrie

HI NINI, Yes like they said above the pier is in Bayonne. We're going to Manhattan after our cruise for a couple of days but thats a whole other story. Gonna have to figure out the best trasportation to get to Mid town from Bayonne too.

Does your parents like it here? I am sooo ready for a cruise in October in Canada to get away from the Houston heat and humidity. I can't complain about the last few days though...been really unusually nice.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Carrie

Elizabeth is closer to bayonne than jersey City. Prior to boarding the ship I would stay at airport as the likelihood of getting a taxi who knows rhe way to the pier at Bayonne from jersey City is less slim. neither location offers much in the way of ambiance and is really more of a stopping point. The best option, book a flight that allows you to go straight from the airport to Bayonne or enough extra time to stay in Manhattan for several days.

The Hyatt - Jersey City is a lovely hotel with a great view of downtown Manhattan http://jerseycity.hyatt.com

Jersey City and Elizabeth are equally distant from the pier in Bayonne. If you stay at a hotel in Elizabeth - it will probably be on the side of the route 9 or near the turnpike... not exactly a great site, but for overnight, it's ok. There is a nice mall in Elizabeth called Jersey Gardens and also a large IKEA, not much else in this area, besides the airport. If you stay in Jersey City - you are a short Path (train) ride into NYC. Jersey City itself is so-so. Of course the taxi driver will know how to get to the pier from Jersey City. Look at the map on the hotel's web-site and you'll see military ocean terminal to the south of the hotel... that is now Cape Liberty.

Either way you are looking at a 10 minute cab ride to the pier.

Hope this information helps.

Laurie --- from Staten Island

if your coming in in the evening the night before the cruise stay at the Marriot or Marriot Courtyard by the airport. There really is not alot to do in this area unless you want to go to Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island or NYC.

For those interested in a fast tour of the city, I have done this in one days time.

9:00am take path train to WTC. $3.00 rdtrp ticket. From, WTC, walk past Trinty Church to Wall St, then over to South Street Seaport. Walk back 4 blocks to subway and take it to 34st. Walk over to Empire State Building and go up. $11.00 now. After this walk uptown on fifth ave passing NYC Library and one Block from Grand central Station to Rockefellar Plaza and St. Patricks Cathedral. From there walk over to 9th ave and 44 st and have dinner on restaurant row. All dinner are Price fixed for about $20.00 Before dinner stop at Tickets booth in Times Square (42nd and Broadway in middle, cant miss it) and buy half price tickets to a show. have dinner, go to theater, Take subway back to Path at MSG and then back to NJ and then back to your hotel. Should arrive back at hotel around 12:00am. Then get a good nights sleep because you will need it. Total cost for everything including show and dinner should be no more then $100.00 per person, if that much.

I'm staying pre cruise at the Waldorf Astoria and need any info on getting to the pier in Bayonne. How long would a car service take to get there? Any preferences in Car Services that are reliable and resonable? Has anyone done this yet? How soon do I call a Car Service before we need picked up? I live in San Diego and we're used to driving ourselves and not relying on Taxi's and Car Services. If it wasn't for the luggage we would consider taking the Bus, Train, subway.....from Midtown to Pier.. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks

We've reserved at the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City (not at the airport) before our cruise. Does anyone have any opinion on this hotel? It sounded like it should have a view of the Manhattan skyline and is not far from the water.

Carrie,

We just arrived home today from the 8/8 Canada cruise. We stayed at the Hyatt on 8/7 (night before cruise) and on 8/13 and 14 (two nights after the cruise). We've stayed in a lot of hotels in NYC, and the Hyatt in Jersey City is now our preferred NYC area hotel.

First of all, it's gorgeous. You simply cannot get that view of the NYC skyline unless you are on the Jersey side of the Hudson. So close you can touch it. We had adjoining rooms...a king for dh and myself, and two doubles for our three kids (girls in one bed, boy in the other). $158/night for our room; $88/night for the kids' room. Our view of the Statue of Liberty was thrilling.

The hotel is easy to get to off the Turnpike Extension (exit 14C), while the Pier is 14A...only about a 10 minute drive.

Can't tell you much about the restaurants in the hotel, because we spent all of our free time in NYC. The PATH train is steps from the hotel, and for $1.50/person, takes you into the city -- either midtown, or to the new station in the World Trade Center (where you can catch a subway line anywhere in the City.) The PATH train had us in the city in 10 minutes. We went to dinner in Greenwich Village on 8/7, and strolled around the West Village afterward. Returned to the hotel around 11:30PM. On 8/13, (upon returning from the Voyager) the girls and I went to see Beauty and the Beast on Broadway while my husband and son saw the Mets play at Shea (about a 40 minute PATH/Subway ride for them).

8/14 (Saturday) we spent in Central Park and then later on Times Square. DH and my oldest daughter went to Maadam Tussaud's Wax Museum, while I took my son and daughter to Toys R Us to ride the ferris wheel. We had expected to have dinner in the city, but by 7:30 PM it looked like Charley was heading in so we headed back to the hotel. Walked a few blocks to dinner at a Pizzeria Uno.

Checked out this morning, and already dh and I are planning another getaway (this time a romantic one) to the J.C. Hyatt.

It really is a gorgeous property!

The Hyatt runs a shuttle van to the Pier. We elected to drive ourselves and Park at the Pier, because that was only $60 for the week, vs. leaving our car at the Hyatt for $20/day plus paying for the shuttle. We noticed when we were leaving that the Hyatt has a self-pay lot a block from the hotel that we didn't know about, so we had to pay higher Valet parking charges.

Also, Jersey City Science Museum is located off exit 14B (between the Pier and the Hyatt) and it's very popular. It has an IMAX theater. If we'd had more time, we'd have taken the kids. I imagine it would be a good pre-cruise excursion if you get there around 10AM or so and then head over to the ship around 2PM. We were allowed to board the ship at 3PM.

We have used two car services to get to the airport and I live locally -- both are fine. Nothing fancy -- older model Lincoln Towncars. Not sure of the name of the companies but the numbers are easy -- 212-777-7777 or 212-666-6666. Good luck. The price for both of these companies is not much more than a yellow cab.

I'm not from NJ, but my travel friend is. We have gotten an incredible amount of helpful info from these boards. If you go into http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com, you will see a link regarding RCCL ships leaving from Port Liberty in Bayonne. I printed this out and sent it to my friend in NJ, which helped her decide how to get there. The information includes maps, driving directions, parking rates and other transportation, etc.

Happy cruising! ML

Hi Carrie,

We're going to Canada also in October and then staying in Midtown for a few days after the cruise. Haven't decided on the best way to do this yet either, so if I find something out I'll let you know and if you get any good information on this please pass it my way.

Being a native New Jerseyan, IMHO neither Jersey City or Elizabeth are "wonderful" places to visit. With that said, I lived in Elizabeth for two years, so I know first hand. There's not much to see or do in these towns, it's basically just a stopping ground for you for your cruise.

I would choose JC just because (as others have said) there's more to do in that area. The Jersey Gardens Mall is huge, altho don't expect to get any bargains! IKEA is a big furniture store, but it's not like u'll be buying furniture on your visit. The Liberty Science Museum is great, but that's an all day affair. Unless you just plan on taking in a planetarium and/or IMAX show and not doing the exhibits (which are at least 3 floors worth of neat stuff).

U might want to just plan on staying at a nice hotel, that way whichever city you choose, u can just hang out at the hotel, go in their pool, and not bother trying to do any sightseeing on your first day/night.

debbie

Archived