thoughts on tipping

For example if you dined in Portifino once, Chops once and skipped the main DR once because of a shore excursion, etc. (therefore ate in main DR 4 x on a 7 day cruise). AND had great service BTW.

What is fair for tipping the DR staff?

Wife thinks we should tip as though we used the main DR for all 7 nights. The staff work hard and I realize that, but what if we ate in winjammer all 7 evenings? or in the main DR only once? etc. Tip for the full 7 then too? Doesn't seem right or fair to me.

anyone care to share their thoughts?

thanks

I would tip for the 7 nights. I can't see punishing the staff because I ate in the WJ. Also, the WJ is staffed with the dining room staff on rotation. Every 4 weeks the waitstaff has to do one week in the WJ. Look at it this way, by tipping your waiter, you are tipping the staff in the WJ.

When you ate at the specialty restaurant you tipped there. If i miss a meal in the main dinning room i persoanlly do not decuct from the waiters tip although i realise i have double tipped (the specialty restaurant). If i were to miss 4 nights at the main dinning room i think I'd deduct for sevices I did not receive.

the staff at dinner are also the ones that have been waiting on you in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch as well as the dining room for those meals. You would really be doing a disservice to them if you don't tip the full amount

i agree with sue l. - and cruise182- and is why we ALWAYS tips suggested amt and more when service dictates that- when you look at what they do for you in all the areas of service and the little bit asked for as a sugg amt per day- you realize you tip more than that at a land based restaurant - so just do as dw asks and tip the full 7 day amt- off soap box- thanks for listening

They are there..waiting for you. Ready to provide quality service.

From another point of view..if you were at a resort, and the dinner bill ..alone...for 2 ran to $100.00 per night, for a week you would tip $105.00 On a ship you pony up $7.00 per day for breakfast, lunch and dinner and in between meals and snacks.

The recommended tip is cheap compared to on shore expectations

I tip for every night, regardless of where we decide to eat. Just because we decide not to show up doesn't mean that they're off the hook and get to have the night off, and I feel that they deserve to get paid for busting their tushes.

Laura

If I eat in the DR at all during the cruise then I tip the full amount. If I eat all meals in the WJ and/or specialty resturants then I let the head waiter know that I will not be eating in the DR and then I don't tip DR staff at all. I do however tip nightly at whatever venue I eat at.

Every 4 weeks the waitstaff has to do one week in the WJ. Look at it this way, by tipping your waiter, you are tipping the staff in the WJ.

Why would tipping the DR staff mean that you are also tipping the WJ staff. I have talked to the staff in the WJ during dinner as we eat their frequently for dinner and according to them the only tips they receive during their week rotation in the WJ is what people leave them in the WJ. They don't get anything from the DR staff. This is why when I eat in the WJ for dinner I tip the staff that waited on me in the WJ. As I stated before if I eat even one night in the DR I also tip there but please remember to tip the dinner WJ staff as well if you eat there.

I tip as well. It seems silly to me to tip in the DR if I am not eating there, but the waiters work really hard and it's such a small amount in comparsion to the money spent on the vacation. I wouldn't fault someone that didn't though. It is double tipping.

I really don't understand why it is necessary to tip the dining room staff if you don't eat in the dining room? Why can't you just tip where you eat each night? I know the dining room staff is available to serve you, but so are the waitstaff in every restaurant but I don't tip them if I don't dine in the establishment where they are working.

I really don't understand why it is necessary to tip the dining room staff if you don't eat in the dining room? Why can't you just tip where you eat each night? I know the dining room staff is available to serve you, but so are the waitstaff in every restaurant but I don't tip them if I don't dine in the establishment where they are working.

Because the wait staff that serves you breakfast and lunch are the same people that service your table. So if you do not tip your waitstaff, then you probably should tip the staff in the windjammer as they are the same people. They only make $50.00 a month. The rest is from tips.

Good thread posted to day talking about how much they get paid and how tipping works.

How we work the tipping is. We tip per day we eat in the dinning room. Any meals we miss we tip the person in the Windjammer directly. The week they work the Windjammer they do not get tips unless you tip them directly.

Good thread posted to day talking about how much they get paid and how tipping works.

How we work the tipping is. We tip per day we eat in the dinning room. Any meals we miss we tip the person in the Windjammer directly. The week they work the Windjammer they do not get tips unless you tip them directly.

I agree with that. Tip who serves you that day. Are there rules that say you can't tip the WJ staff? If you eat there for dinner, you should tip them.

I am trying to understand the staffing and tipping differences between Carnival (only cruised with them so far) and RCI. I always left the suggested tip amounts on my account and then tipped my steward and his assistants extra as well as my dining room waiter and assistant extra on the last night.

On our last cruise my asst. waiter was in the buffet area every morning for breakfast and usually was there at lunch time. The buffet there is self service including your drinks and refills. The only crewmembers there are those who bus the tables or welcome you when you come in.

What service are you tipping for in the WindJammer buffet area? I am reading comments that say you tip those in that area daily as you eat there. I am a little confused. Do they serve anything to you like your drink refills, etc? Do you tip them like a waiter/waitress in a land based restaurant by leaving it on the table?

Sorry if this is a dumb question :o but I do always try to make sure I tip accordingly and want to understand how it is normally done.

Not sure if this helps.

The crew member that cleans the buffet, fill the buffet, clear tables, help with trays, and the like...are the same people that work in the dining room. Being that they do not have a salary, they work for tips alone. So if you dine and tip in the dining room as suggested, no real reason to tip in the WJ unless someone went "above and beyond". If however, you do not eat/tip in the dining room, then I feel that you probably should tip in the WJ. JMHO

Not sure if this helps.

The crew member that cleans the buffet, fill the buffet, clear tables, help with trays, and the like...are the same people that work in the dining room. Being that they do not have a salary, they work for tips alone. So if you dine and tip in the dining room as suggested, no real reason to tip in the WJ unless someone went "above and beyond". If however, you do not eat/tip in the dining room, then I feel that you probably should tip in the WJ. JMHO

The DO have a wage. They do not work for tips alone.

The DO have a wage. They do not work for tips alone.

I wish people had their facts before posting!!

Please see the contract of a waitress that I posted. She asked me to post it and was interested to have guests know the facts as they are.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01560587hmZjoT

next time it may be wise to know something before posting something as fact. what i posted is fact and established. So if you have any proof, please provide!

thanks

I wish people had their facts before posting!!

Please see the contract of a waitress that I posted. She asked me to post it and was interested to have guests know the facts as they are.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01560587hmZjoT

next time it may be wise to know something before posting something as fact. what i posted is fact and established. So if you have any proof, please provide!

thanks

It doesn't matter, it's none of our business what or how the crew are paid, it's their business.

What service are you tipping for in the WindJammer buffet area? I am reading comments that say you tip those in that area daily as you eat there. I am a little confused.

Most are talking about tipping the Windjammer staff IF you eat there for dinner.

Do they serve anything to you like your drink refills, etc? Do you tip them like a waiter/waitress in a land based restaurant by leaving it on the table? Sorry if this is a dumb question :o but I do always try to make sure I tip accordingly and want to understand how it is normally done.

Not a dumb question. It has been my experience at dinner the waiter/waitress will at a minimum get you drinks, refills and clear your table. I've personnaly had the wait staff help carry plates, get seconds on food and bring dessert to the table

It doesn't matter, it's none of our business what or how the crew are paid, it's their business.

Yes..THEIR business...and if THEY want to share their business so be it!!:)

Perhaps you feel better not knowing that they rely on tips.

Most are talking about tipping the Windjammer staff IF you eat there for dinner.

Not a dumb question. It has been my experience at dinner the waiter/waitress will at a minimum get you drinks, refills and clear your table. I've personnaly had the wait staff help carry plates, get seconds on food and bring dessert to the table

Thank you, that does clear up some of the confusion. We normally eat in the main dining room at dinner and only from the buffets at breakfast or lunch so my normal tipping habits will still apply in the same way. :)

Archived