ACK, I'm WAITLISTED on my cruise!

doorcountydi

I called my HAL rep Bill to book the Noordam out of NYC on October 20... having received the special Mariner flyer about the 11-day cruise being $899 for an inside cabin. The website showed $1129 as the lowest price.

I called RIGHT AFTER they'd finished booking those good deal rooms... as a matter of fact, all inside cabins were already booked.:eek: :eek: :eek:

So I'm on the waitlist... and here's my question: the inside cabins on the website range from $1129 to $2500+. If one of the $2500+ opens up instead of a lower price, is that my only option, to pay that much (2.5x more than I'd planned)?

Has anyone had the experience of being waitlisted? If so, is it common that rooms DO open up, and if so, is it only last minute so my flight would then be expensive? :( I'd hate to jump to a later cruise (I NEED MY CRUISE FIX! I'd leave tomorrow if I could), but I'm getting nervous already that I might be swinging in the wind.

Diane

Diane,

More than likely, something will open up on or immediately following Final Payment date. This cruise is as good as sold out and there may not be anymore bargains to be had on it as is the case when demand for cabins exceeds the supply of cabins.

I am seeing inside cabins on the Halloween cruise for less than $1,000 and balconies for about $1350 P/P. You might want to consider booking this cruise, now. These message boards are sponsored by a variety of travel agents. Why not give a few of them a call and do some comparison shopping. More than likely they can beat HAL's own price. Good luck.

P.S. I am not sure if you have seen or sailed in the least expensive inside cabins on the Noordam. They are teeny-tiny so plan to spend the majority of your time out and about.

Diane, think positive but don't hold your breath!

Don't know for sure but on a waitlist I'd say that, when your name comes up, you'll be offered what is available - short notice I'd guess, on a 'take it or leave it' basis. Any idea how long the waitlist is?

We once booked a 'guarantee' in the category of our choice and had a great upgrade.

Fingers crossed for you!

Was waitlisted last year on Princess and I didn't like the chances of not going the least bit. After Final Payment we moved maybe 4 places on the list. Then 2 places and sat at #22 for the longest time. Work with your TA. In my case she new someone on the inside and I was able to jump to a cabin (No. 0) in a matter of hours. This was probably 3 weeks out and the docs followed shortly. I guess that is what I get for waiting so long, until the last minute, 3 months out. AK was great.

Thanks everyone... I AM first on the list, so that's encouraging at least. I don't like the thought that I might have to pay whatever the going rate is, but I'll see how it comes down. I may get nervous and switch to the later cruise.

I either book inside or a regular outside cabin, as I'm hardly ever in it--just to sleep, shower, change clothes, etc. This time I'm most likely traveling alone, as my sister can't afford to lose the time at work right now, so that makes it more "roomy" for me.

I called my HAL rep Bill to book the Noordam out of NYC on October 20... having received the special Mariner flyer about the 11-day cruise being $899 for an inside cabin. The website showed $1129 as the lowest price.

I called RIGHT AFTER they'd finished booking those good deal rooms... as a matter of fact, all inside cabins were already booked.:eek: :eek: :eek:

So I'm on the waitlist... and here's my question: the inside cabins on the website range from $1129 to $2500+. If one of the $2500+ opens up instead of a lower price, is that my only option, to pay that much (2.5x more than I'd planned)?

Has anyone had the experience of being waitlisted? If so, is it common that rooms DO open up, and if so, is it only last minute so my flight would then be expensive? :( I'd hate to jump to a later cruise (I NEED MY CRUISE FIX! I'd leave tomorrow if I could), but I'm getting nervous already that I might be swinging in the wind.

Diane

Have you considered going November 10 instead?......plenty of availability there and many insides open. I would book a Category K inside guarantee and let HAL upgrade you.

I have learned long ago that the mailers have a short shelf life. Prices are based on supply and demand and if the demand is great, you aren't going to see it stay at that price.

All mailers are good for is an indication on what HAL is figuring (at the time of printing) will be cruises that might need a boost to fill up.

Would you mind e-mailing me? I think I can give you more specific info...without breaking CC rules.:)

Archived