airline new restrictions

redjuliet

What can you bring and what can't you bring now on airlines? I heard you could only bring so much as in small bottles of shampoo individual toothpaste, etc. Also what about hairspray? Does anyone know what all the guidelines are?

Thanks

What can you bring and what can't you bring now on airlines? I heard you could only bring so much as in small bottles of shampoo individual toothpaste, etc. Also what about hairspray? Does anyone know what all the guidelines are?

Thanks

the best thing to do is call your airlines that you're flying with and ask them specifics on what you're allowed or what you're not, we get a lot of questions about it, but it's different policies for different places that you're flying as well, if you don't know the 800# for them, you can call the cruise line and who-ever you get can just give you the 800# for your airline that you're going through, we have a whole list of all the airlines, but I know that even hand lotion is only allowed for certain amount of oz. the airlines get tricky about it, but if you find an "actual" website that has it listed you should deffinately post it...

:) makes you wonder sometimes if the airlines are even sure what's really allowed and not anymore... you know it's a good ? when they say leaf blowers are not allowed:D

In your carry-on, your liquid items must be in containers no larger than 3 oz, and all the bottles/tubes must fit in a single one quart resealable plastic bag.

Mascara and lipgloss count as liquid, but lipstick does not.

As a comparison, my liquid foundation comes in a one oz bottle, travel size toothpast is less than one oz, travel size hairspray is 2 oz.

There is great inconsistency from airport to airport as to how the TSA employees apply the rules, but going to the TSa website, as cactusrose recommends, will tell you what the rules are.

It's just carry on bags that have to comply to the TSA's 1-1-3 rule. Some aerosol items are not permitted even in checked baggage. See the TSA web site for a complete list of rules using the link kindly provided by CactusRose.

That has got to be the stupidest rule of the many that TSA has set forth. Why the sealed duty free liquor can't go on the plane but the little bottles of lotion can only if inside a zip lock. Who in the administration owns stock in Dow Chemical?

Just want to make sure I have this correct - what I used to carry on as the "bathroom bag" - large duffel with shampoo, hairspray, make up etc. is still OK to take with the larger size containers as long as I check it as luggage and don't carry it on?

Yes, you can bring whatever you want in whatever size you want, you just have to check it as luggage. Since that luggage gets thrown around, I always put the shampoo, hairspray, etc in gallon ziplock bags incase of a leak. That way it wont be all over the suitcase.

My sister on our last cruise forgot about the rule and after standing in line for 30 minutes to get through security check, they pulled her aside, pulled all the bottles out inspecting them and then made her go all the way back to the luggage check in to check the small carry on. But my other sister slipped through the cracks with large bottles in her carry on. Guess they were too busy chatting when her bag went through!

Also keep in mind that if being carried on, the CONTAINER has to be labeled as less that 3 oz. So, if you have a 4 oz. toothpaste that's clearly only half-full-- still can't pack it, because the packaging says 4 oz.

Also, someone mentioned duty-free-- you CAN carry that on (any size) if you buy at the airport duty-free (they deliver it, sealed, to the door of the plane during boarding), but must check it if you have a connecting flight after you clear customs. Obviously duty-free liquor bought outside the secure area of the airport has to be checked (i.e. from the ship, a port, whatever).

Ok, I think what is being said is if I buy duty-free in the airport it can get on the plane as carry-on, only if you have a non-stop flight? If you have a connection, how can you get it back to check-in at another stop? Or do they hold it @ the gate?:confused:

Yes, airport duty-free can only be a carryon on that one flight. So, for example, if you fly from Cancun to Cleveland to Tulsa, you can have it on the Cancun- Cleveland leg, but not the cleveland-tulsa. However, when you enter the US from Cancun (in Cleveland, in our little example), you actually claim your bags to take them through customs, then recheck them for your connection on the other side of customs. So, while you're in line for customs, or once you're through, put the bottles in your checked luggage, then recheck the bags.

That said, I have only done the airport duty free when I had non-stop flights. However, I've had international-domestic connections before and this would have worked on any of them (other than the fact that I NEVER have enough room in my luggage to stick anything else in!)

(Though, now that I think of it, I am NOT sure if this would work if you're cruising from San Juan, as I don't remember whether you clear customs, and thus get your checked bags back, on flights returning from Puerto Rico-- does anyone know? It should definitely work for foriegn/non-US-territory ports, though.)

the best thing to do is call your airlines that you're flying with and ask them specifics on what you're allowed or what you're not, we get a lot of questions about it, but it's different policies for different places that you're flying as well, if you don't know the 800# for them, you can call the cruise line and who-ever you get can just give you the 800# for your airline that you're going through, we have a whole list of all the airlines, but I know that even hand lotion is only allowed for certain amount of oz. the airlines get tricky about it, but if you find an "actual" website that has it listed you should deffinately post it...

:) makes you wonder sometimes if the airlines are even sure what's really allowed and not anymore... you know it's a good ? when they say leaf blowers are not allowed:D

The airlines aren't sure because they don't make the rule -- it's the TSA's rule and their enforcement thereof, and I think the original poster would be taking a chance to go by anything told to her/him by a CSR at an airline 800 reserations number. Definitely go to the TSA website for the most reliable information (also, I believe the 3 oz. rule has been modified to 3.4 oz, making it an even 100 ml. to accommodate imported travel-size products that are based on that wacky metric system -- don't remember where I read that exactly [Conde Nast Traveler. perhaps?], but it's worth checking out on the TSA website.).

Can you picture a group of terrorists with all sorts of explosives in their 3 oz bottles in ziplocks meeting at the toilets and putting all the stuff together and blowing a hole in the the side of the plane?

I don't travel for business as much as I used to, but this past week I went to Colorado on Continental Airlines. I did not check any luggage.

I used a "zipper lock" quart bag and stocked (more like stuffed) it with the "travel size" toothpaste, non-aerosol hairspray, travel size deodorant, travel size hand lotion, etc purchased from Target. My foundation, astringent, moisturizer are sample sizes I've acquired from the cosmetic counter.

The TSA agents actually seemed "appreciative" that I had the zip lock bag ready, visibly placed in that rectangular gray "bucket" along with my shoes and belt.

Now that I have my little zip lock stash and since I'm so nervous about my luggage not being delivered to my cabin in time for dinner, I will pack this little zip lock bag and its contents in my carry on luggage and save the larger bottles for my checked bags. This way when we board the Crown Princess with a rollaboard, I'll have some personal items handy while I wait for the "big bag" to be delivered to the cabin.

And to echo everyone else, check out the TSA website for the rules.

Archived