Statue of Liberty

nickyaddis

Hi,

I am going on the QM2 to New York on 25th August, arriving on Friday 31st August and then staying at the Hotel Edison near Times Square before returning to the UK on Tuesday 4th September. I am trying to plan our days in New York and would like to do the Statue of Liberty on the Saturday. Can anyone tell me how bad the queues are likely to be? I have heard a week day would be quieter but I am reluctant to leave it until the Monday as this will be our last day. What food/drink is available to buy on Liberty Island/Ellis Island? How much do lockers cost at Liberty Island? I have read that if you have a 10:45 statue tour that you need to get to Battery Park for 8:45 in order to get through security for the 10 or 10:30 boat, does it really take this long?

Sorry for all the questions, hope someone can help

Nicky

My husband and I visited New York in April and did the Liberty Island, Ellis Island trip. Yes I would get there really early. You can pre book timed tickets before you leave. The trip Advisor site,under New York sites, is a mine of informAtion, especially an entry on Feb 12 by Egorsti from Dallas. Gives details as to which side of the ferry to sit and times to go. First Ferry is 9.30 I believe but security is really slow. Personally not sure the trip rond the statue inside was that good. You can easily miss it. You get stupendous views from outside. Ellis Island was fascinating and should take several hours. They have good eating facilities there.if you dont have a bag larger than a handbag you can take it with you.

look at the above site it is very good. Hope you enjoy your trip!Wear comfy shoes!!

You will be in New York over Labor Day weekend. If the weather is good a lot of folks will head out to the beaches and the city will not be as crowded as you think. Monday is the legal holiday and so the Statue may be closed. Enjoy your stay.

Nicky,

On our transatlantic trip back in July 2005 to New York. We, more by luck than judgement, were the last trip in the afternoon to the State of Liberty. I think it was 5.00pm ish.

Had a great time, we were one of the last few off the Liberty Island, catching the last ferry off. As you can see from the photo, no one left on her.

photoboxcopy.jpg

That my recommendation, go at the end of the day, but also check for the America holidays as well.

Is it realistic to book a trip leaving at 11.00 and see everything on Ellis Island?

My wife is less concerned about the Statue of Liberty, although it would clearly be nice to do both.

Matthew

I was just there this past weekend. The lines were almost like going to Disneyworld. We spent almost three total hours in line.

If you want to be on a ferry that leaves Battery Park at 11am, you should get to Castle Clinton by 9:30 if you need to purchase tickets, or 10am if you pre-purchased and just need to stop at will-call to pick them up.

Expect to wait in line at least 45 mins - 1 hr to get through security prior to getting on the ferry. It goes to Liberty Island first. If you go into the monument, expect to wait at least an hour for security a second time; then at least an hour to look around the museum and out on the observation deck. If you don't go into the statue, you can walk around the base of the statue, visit the gift shop and have something to eat. Expect to wait about 15 - 20 mins. to get back onto a ferry, then about 10 - 15 mins to travel to Ellis Island.

So if you'd like to spend more time on Ellis Island, spend less time at Liberty Island. It sounds so simple, and I apologize if I am stating the obvious, but I didn't expect to spend so much time on Liberty Island and thought we could spend more time at Ellis Island, but we had 6 pm dinner reservations and show tickets for 8:30 and we had to allow for travel time for the ferry, walking to the subway station and for the subway back to our hotel. Good luck.

This might be a really stupid question, but are there ferries just to Ellis Island? We want to visit when we next go to NYC. January time, will the queues be as long?

Its an ISLAND with no Bridges or tunnels...The line for Ellis Island isn't as bad as the line for the Statue of Liberty...January when its cold its not usually very long and January isn't a month when people visit NY that much.

Its an ISLAND with no Bridges or tunnels...The line for Ellis Island isn't as bad as the line for the Statue of Liberty...January when its cold its not usually very long and January isn't a month when people visit NY that much.

Actually there is a bridge from Liberty State Park in NJ to Ellis Island, but not open to the public. I think is was left there after the restoration in the 90's.

Actually there is a bridge from Liberty State Park in NJ to Ellis Island, but not open to the public. I think is was left there after the restoration in the 90's.

Its been removed they redo it when they do construction. They leave the piers and add the decking back when they need to but no public can use it anyway.

Its been removed they redo it when they do construction. They leave the piers and add the decking back when they need to but no public can use it anyway.

Satelite pictures still show it: Image Atlas and Google maps' satelite view. I saw these pictures posted taken post 9/11 at http://www.abouttwintowers.info/post_911_1.htm that shows the bridge but no more Twin Towers.

I remember after the restoration New Jersey wanted to keep it for foot access to the island but New York and the ferry operators objected. Wikipedia (I know, not the most authoritative source!) mentions it is used for official vehicles only.

Satelite pictures still show it: Image Atlas and Google maps' satelite view. I saw these pictures posted taken post 9/11 at http://www.abouttwintowers.info/post_911_1.htm that shows the bridge but no more Twin Towers.

I remember after the restoration New Jersey wanted to keep it for foot access to the island but New York and the ferry operators objected. Wikipedia (I know, not the most authoritative source!) mentions it is used for official vehicles only.

google maps aren't current if you look at the red hook cruise terminal satellite it isn't built yet and its been open for a year and half.

But frankly who cares, you and I have to take the Ferry Maybe if your last name is bush they will make an exception but the only one for visitors to get to the Island is by concessionaire ferry from either NY or NJ.

google maps aren't current if you look at the red hook cruise terminal satellite it isn't built yet and its been open for a year and half.

But frankly who cares, you and I have to take the Ferry Maybe if your last name is bush they will make an exception but the only one for visitors to get to the Island is by concessionaire ferry from either NY or NJ.

So when are we taking the ferry? :)

We visited Lady Liberty and Ellis Island the weekend before 9/11. Did not go into the statue, the lines were horendous and now you can not really go "up" anyway. Ellis Island is fantastic and well worth the trip. The ferry goes first to Liberty and second (same ferry, just stay on) to Ellis Island. The views from the ferry and the Islands are wonderful. They have food venues which are pretty basic, sandwiches, salads etc.If you take the subway I believe you have to get in a specific car, ask at the subway booth when you enter as the announcements are rather hard to understand. Think it is the first car after the engine one. :)

B.

If you take the subway I believe you have to get in a specific car' date=' ask at the subway booth when you enter as the announcements are rather hard to understand. Think it is the first car after the engine one. :)

B.[/quote']

If you take the No. 1 train to the South Ferry station you need to be in the first 5 cars - the other cars' doors don't open at that station (platform too short). You need to be between the front of the train and the conductor. A new South Ferry station under construction that will do away with this issue.

Yes thank you, I know it is an ISLAND, but I meant is there a ferry which only goes to Ellis Island, missing the Statue of Liberty.

No its the same Ferry. It make one stop at Ellis Island and then onto the Statue of Liberty, but you don't have to get off at the SOL if you don't want to.

... and now you can not really go "up" anyway. ...

A story in today's paper said that some members of Congress are asking that tourists be allowed to climb up to the crown again. Considering how influential Congress is these days, remember to remind your grandchildren to ask if they will be permitted to climb that spiral staircase to the crown with their children.

A story in today's paper said that some members of Congress are asking that tourists be allowed to climb up to the crown again. Considering how influential Congress is these days, remember to remind your grandchildren to ask if they will be permitted to climb that spiral staircase to the crown with their children.

Well, at least one or two of those useless $%^$%@# even thought to bring it up. And I just erased my other political comment because it's not the place for it here. :rolleyes:

I climbed the statue when I was 9 or 10. To say that it was not one of the more inspiring trips I have ever made would be an understatement. The climb was up tight, worn, spiral stairs. You had no view of anything but the dizzying spiral walls and the butt of the person in front of you. The steps were slippery from wear. It was horrible. the girl behind me (12 I think) was allowed to wear stockings for the first time by her parents. I slipped and put a run in them. She was so angry! (So much for being impressed by the lady!)

If it were today, I think I should be much more impressed to stand outside her, step back as far as you can on that star shaped casement and admire the workmanship, read the words of Emma Lazarus (Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to breathe free) That's from memory, so sorry if I got it wrong.

In fact, wrongly applied at times, or not applied at all at times, and by some, those words and what they mean have just brought tears to my eyes. The fact that this was a loving supportive GIFT from the French, whom we have held in such disdain in recent years (for their moral stand against the war- which they had every right to take- So much for our belief in free speech! Yeah, as long as you agree with us!)

There are hundreds and hundreds of tall buildings all over the place. Many with incredibly spectacular views. I have also climbed the Washington Monument. (I was 15 then, and with my High School band playing the Cherry Blossom Parade) But where else can you gaze upon such a symbol of all that America means to immigrants, to those who struggled to come here, to make themselves welcome here, fought prejudice, terror, and the unknown to stand at the feet of Lady Liberty, and to read those welcoming words, even when we haven't been as welcoming as our promise would indicate. To see her holding her torch high, a light to the world, and a book! Yes even education is available to all! And feel the swelling of pride, just to BE in America.

And what American could look on this Icon and not also feel what we have meant as a nation to those starting life anew, leaving everything, loved ones even sometimes behind. No, our streets were not paved with gold. But for many, they were paved with freedom. To worship in the way they believed, even if unpopular- our constitution guarantees it first, and foremost. To differ with our government and not risk jail , torture or death for it (although there have been some unproud moments in our history, and even now- We are still only human beings, full of prejudices and wrong thinking) With the chance, that if you worked hard, and kept your nose clean, you could make it in America. Everybody got a chance. And that every little boy, or girl born here could grow up one day to be president.

Nope. I'd rather stand outside her proudly, and marvel at an era where one state would wish to send such a gift to another. and share brotherhood.

Sorry. I'm not some conservative, super patriotic, flag-waving type. In fact, I am a liberal. But you cannot gaze on her, no matter how you feel about this or any past government, and our actions, right or wrong, now or previously, including some very sorrowful and painful and shameful times (Such as slavery, and so many civil rights issues for women, immigrants, and much, much more) without feeling pride. We have room for improvement. Who doesn't. But she represents the ideals that we hold dear.

Karie,

who feels that she stands tall as a symbol, without having to climb her insides, like some cheap carnival ride.

Nope. I say keep her closed to climbing.

Archived