several questions for first time cruiser

mamap

I know these questions might sound stupid but I am a ftc.I think I understand what a sign and sail card is but where and when do you get these? Do you give them cash or do they take it from your cc? Also what is a tender? Thanks!!

A sail and sign card is how you buy things on the ship, you can secure it with a credit card or with cash before you board ship, usually. Sometimes you do it after boarding.

A tender is a small ferry that transports you from the ship to a dock on shore. This happens where the port isn't deep enough or they don't have docking facilities. Welcome to cruise critic!

Sign and Sail card--when you board the ship you put a credit card or cash down on your account--and from then on you use the SS same as a credit card on the ship.

Tender--at some ports the ship has to anchor out in the sea away from the port so you get off the ship onto a small boat aka tender to ride to the shore.

Hope that covers it.

...you get S&S at embarkation

...you can use either a CC or a cash deposit to assure Carnival you have the money to pay your S&S bill. Most people use a CC. Less "hassle"

...a "tender" is a small boat. In some ports [the minority] the ship can't get to the dock itself due to size. The tenders act as a "shuttle"

When you check in at the terminal, they determine what type payment you will be using. They then issue a Sign & Sail card for everyone in your group. Any purchases on board will be put on this account, except for any little extra cash tips you may wish to give.

Tendering is when a ship can't get near enough to an island/port, and have to anchor offshore. Passengers must get into smaller boats to take them to shore.

A sign & sail card is many things. It is your ticket to back on the boat in any port you sail to, your room key, and what you use to pay for anything you want to purchase on the ship. You get it right before you embark. You can put up a certain amount of cash or you can tie it to a credit card.

Some islands have reefs that they don't want damaged (Caymans, for example) or for some reason their docks are unusable at the time the ship calls at their ports. When this happens you have to anchor some distance from the island and take a small ferry boat to shore. These ferries are called "tenders". If you have to "tender in", you have to anchor offshore and take a ferry in.

you will learn sooo much on the boards..go to all the topics, Roll Call, Beauty, Ports..how to save $$, on just about anything, and get upgrades or OBC's

clik on the top header.."Boards"..and just look at all the things that is gonna take you on the ride of your life, and you havent even left home yet :D . I'v got 21 cruises under my life vest, and 11 future bookings.. My nice guy TA..can go to HAWAII for his vacation this year :cool: ..Go Larry !!!

I know these questions might sound stupid but I am a ftc.I think I understand what a sign and sail card is but where and when do you get these? Do you give them cash or do they take it from your cc? Also what is a tender? Thanks!!

Sail and Sign card: A device invented by the cruise line to make it feel less like spending real money. See also debit card.

Tender: What your bank account feels like after 7 days of using a sail and sign card.

:D

Archived