single mother going to Jamaica

erin1998

Good evening everyone....:)

Just a quick question. I am a single mother travelling with my young son. We are cruising in 2008 and have a stop in Montego Bay. I have always wanted to see Jamaica, and from the pictures I've seen, it looks beautiful. We actually decided on our itinerary because it stopped in Montego Bay. But with the tourists being robbed a few days ago and a lot of bad experiences written here by others, I am starting to rethink getting off the ship.

I am a nervous mother by nature and always careful of our surroundings. I have travelled with my son to many different places/islands and always felt safe, and I had no concerns about travelling in Jamaica until now.

What would you do....stay on the ship or see the island?

Erin

I would just take a 2 min taxi ride to the all inclusive Sunset Beach. I've been assured that it is safe to take a JUTA cab. Once inside the beach you will not be hounded by anyone and it includes all food, drinks, water toys (non-motorized) and it has a small water park. That's what we're going to do next week. I'll write a review of it when I get back on this board.

I agree with the Sunset Beach idea and you are better off doing that on your own, since it's MUCH cheaper.

Doctors Cove is also lovely.

I've heard wonderful things about the zip lining, but your son sounds too young for it.

I'm taking my boys to Jamaica without my husband (he has to work) in the near future and I have no concerns. I too, am a paranoid mom. Just use precautions and don't let the day be ruined by paranoia. Concern is good. Paranoia is bad. Most of the people you meet will be wonderful. Takes only a few creepy apples to ruin the bunch.

Jamaica is not like some of the other destinations in the Caribbean, the poverty is out in the open. Which means you get the heavenly scent of flowers, but the scent of unwashed humanity as well. It's a fascinating dichotomy that marries the sublime with poverty. It's not a first world country and you should not expect it to be. That said, it's a stunning island.

Archived