Sovereign of the Sea

:) Good Evening,

We are going on the Sovereign of the Sea in August. I have been on the Mariner of the Sea and three Princess lines ships. I don't know anything about the Sovereign of the Sea. Is there anything that we should know about the ship that makes it unique? We have also gone on the Disney Wonder twice and thoroughly enjoy every minute of it. Has any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Yaking

Edgewater, Florida

I wouldn't necessarily say anything special. Just go on her remembering that she is 20 years old and can't be compared to things like the Mariner and Disney cruises. Her crew is really a great bunch. I was on her in Jan, Feb, and April of this year, and loved all 3 trips.

There are plenty of activities going, just not all the extras that the bigger ships have, like the promenade and so on. And remembering she is one of the smallest ships in the fleet, her rooms will be tighter, but it's still very doable.

Enjoy the trip, she is great for the weekend getaways.

I wouldn't necessarily say anything special. Just go on her remembering that she is 20 years old and can't be compared to things like the Mariner and Disney cruises. Her crew is really a great bunch. I was on her in Jan, Feb, and April of this year, and loved all 3 trips.

There are plenty of activities going, just not all the extras that the bigger ships have, like the promenade and so on. And remembering she is one of the smallest ships in the fleet, her rooms will be tighter, but it's still very doable.

Enjoy the trip, she is great for the weekend getaways.

I would add that I have been on Sovereign twice this year (Mar & May) and they were great long week-end cruises. We love the dueling pianos, it is adult entertainment though. It is an older ship, launched in 1988 and refurbished in Dec 2004 (if I recall correctly). We again like it for long week-ends. Only concern would be getting off at Coco Cay. You have to tender and it is missed as a port due to seas or wind. But then you have a great day at sea! :)

I have been on the Sovereign five times, and just booked 8/13/07! It does not compare to the Voyager class ships, but it is not a voyager class. It does have a bit small cabins, but like said above, it is a great time and a great crew! I have sailed larger ships - in fact, this will be my 18th cruise in 10 years! Love it!

We were on the Sovereign 5-7-07 and it was our first RC cruise, it was great! We had a really good time. Only two things were not so nice, 1) we missed Coco Cay but that was due to weather and could not be helped and 2) there was a nasty sewer smell the entire cruise in our bathroom AND in the hallway leading towards our room. If we kept the lid on the toilet down that helped a lot. We were in a sov on deck 9.

We sailed on the Sovereign many years ago - when she very new to the fleet. At the time, we thought that the ship was just a real beauty. Can't tell you how she has been maintained, but indeed, she is about 20 years old.

We were just on SOTS 6/11-15 - we were in 5054 and there was rust in the water, the shower vent was dripping rust, the shower was leaking water on the floor without using the shower and there was NO AIR CIRCULATION. The A/C on the ship is not good. There are huge rust spots in the pool and floating paint peels. It definately wasn't the RCI quality I've experienced.

We take the Sovereign every year and love it. It is a great ship for a long weekend cruise. Like others have said, it is older and much smaller than the other RCI Voyager class ships, but it has its own allure. Staff is fantastic and we have always had good food. We always take an oceanview on Deck 8 and have never had any problems. No safes or refrig, so just know that. If you go with the right expectations, you will love her. If you go thinking you are getting a ship like the Mariner, you will probably be disappointed. We have been lucky in that only one year did we not get to Coco Cay, lately, have had no problems stopping there. Have fun and enjoy the Sovereign.

We were on the Sovereign 5-7-07 and it was our first RC cruise, it was great! We had a really good time. Only two things were not so nice, 1) we missed Coco Cay but that was due to weather and could not be helped and 2) there was a nasty sewer smell the entire cruise in our bathroom AND in the hallway leading towards our room. If we kept the lid on the toilet down that helped a lot. We were in a sov on deck 9.

Hello veryhotred:

My DW and I will be sailing July 13th. as well, and have a deck 9 Cabin... would you be so kind as to tell us which Cabin you were in... The last time we Cruised her we had a slight sewer smell, and the hallway flooded...:p Still had a fantastic time though !! She was our first ship, and will always be first in our hearts.Thanks !! Charles and Kari

Hello veryhotred:

My DW and I will be sailing July 13th. as well, and have a deck 9 Cabin... would you be so kind as to tell us which Cabin you were in... The last time we Cruised her we had a slight sewer smell, and the hallway flooded...:p Still had a fantastic time though !! She was our first ship, and will always be first in our hearts.Thanks !! Charles and Kari

Hello!!! We were in cabin #9568. You know, they had fans going and were taking some fans away and the floor in the hallway was damp, must have flooded again? You could see the water marks but I didn't think anything of it until now. Ours was more than a slight smell but it didn't ruin the cruise, we just noticed it. We had a great time, the ship is in great condition, this was our kids first cruise and they absolutely LOVED AO!!! Happy Cruising!

Compared to Holland America ships, the best thing I have to say for SoS is that it's a cheap short cruise. :eek: Flame away, RCI fans! :p

And why would anyone with a little "common sense" compare a ship that only sails the three and four day cruises to a ship that sails on longer itineraries and also caters to a different segment of the industry????:rolleyes:

To the OP, the SOS is a great ship for the three and four day market. I have been on other ships that cruise the shorter itineraries and she along with the Majesty cannot be beat.

Where's MerionMom? This is one of her favorite ships.

The SoS is older, but she's lovely. When she was christened, she was the biggest and best. She's fun, a lot of fun and the food is good. The atmosphere is a bit of a party thing, but not so bad you will wish you could swim home, imo.

I love her promanade deck. Very romantic and old fashioned, "Love Boat" in flavor at night.

I've always found the staff to be just outstanding in every way. I've spent more quality time talking to staff on SoS, than any other RCI ship. Always towel animals (I like them) and a smile and rememberance of my name. I like that.

And why would anyone with a little "common sense" compare a ship that only sails the three and four day cruises to a ship that sails on longer itineraries and also caters to a different segment of the industry????:rolleyes:
Why do you feel the need to resort to a personal insult to make your argument? :mad:

:) Is there anything that we should know about the ship that makes it unique?

Thanks

Yaking

Edgewater, Florida

Sovereign is a pretty little ship. She is much smaller (and older) than other ships (except Majesty of the Seas), but I like to see her as more "classic".

There is something unique about Sovereign...the clock in the lobby. When they were doing the refurb, they almost had to scrap the clock but a determined repairman found a way to fix it. It's in the middle of the Centrum lobby and is a huge glass clock with all the gears visible. We had our formal photo taken at the rescued clock. :)

My hubby and I were on the Sovereign 4/30/07. We had a great cruise and fantasic dinners. We were able to go to Coco Cay and had a quiet day in Nassau (Election Day-no Senor Frogs!) All in all a great trip, great service and a great ship. Yes she is getting on in years but the last refurbishment was what the doctor ordered to see her through many more sailings to the Bahamas. Enjoy and have a Coco Loco for me:D

We were just on SOTS 6/11-15 - we were in 5054 and there was rust in the water, the shower vent was dripping rust, the shower was leaking water on the floor without using the shower and there was NO AIR CIRCULATION. The A/C on the ship is not good. There are huge rust spots in the pool and floating paint peels. It definately wasn't the RCI quality I've experienced.

Now that you got compensation,do you think it is right to keep slamming RCCL's Sovereign at every opportunity??

Anyway,to the OP.........I have been on the Sovereign 12 times and she is a great weekend getaway.......just dont expect all the bells and whistles........Be the type who can have fun with those you're cruising with and you'll be fine.........I have been on every class of RCCL ship from the Empress to the Liberty and never, ever had a bad time....

Heck,I even had a good time on that one Carnival ship I took....;)

Personal insult? Just stating the facts. :rolleyes:

"And why would anyone with a little "common sense" compare a ship ..."

with common sense emphasized in red is "just stating facts"?????? :eek:

with common sense emphasized in red is "just stating facts"?????? :eek:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but is this not what you posted above?

Compared to Holland America ships, the best thing I have to say for SoS is that it's a cheap short cruise. :eek: Flame away, RCI fans! :p

So yes I was just stating the facts. You were the one that said flame away. Watch what you post in the future. Some of us take you up on your offer!!!!!!;)

So yes I was just stating the facts. You were the one that said flame away. Watch what you post in the future. Some of us take you up on your offer!!!!!!;)
Personal insults are never necessary and never productive to an argument. I'll not stoop to trading them with you.

Archived