Miracle 8/7-8/14 Review Part 2 of 3

alprzy

Wait Staff: We were blessed with 2 professional gals. Petra our Headwaiter from Czech Republic and Irena or assistant from Russia. Truly superb, if anything was not 100% to your liking it was corrected immediately. They knew just by your expression if you were satisfied. There is always the option of having NY Strip if nothing on the menu looks good. It's not listed but you can ask for it. I gave them envelopes with extra gratuity on both formal nights. Ken the Maitre'd was a good singer, level 1 dining room. I was on level 2 so did not see him often. Omur on level 3 was ours, just a handshaker. Had 5:45 dinner. Table for 4, thought we would get table for 8 and have people to meet but majority of the tables are for 4. There are tables for 8, just not a ton of them.

Nick and Nora's: We dined there on Wednesday at 7 p.m.. There were empty tables for 2, 4, and 6 in our section between 7 and 10 pm.

Quick funny story- We sit down at a table for 2, a couple minutes later 3 women come in and are seated next to us, and they have a stroller with a 3 year oldish boy in it. My wife and I say "NO WAY". Long dinner and young kids don't mix. I ask to be moved just because we wanted a special night. I have done the children route and love kids dearly, but do like a quiet dinner. The hostess seats us across the room at a window, perfect. We have our dinner (3 hours) and see the hostess later that evening in a lounge. We call her over and thank her for understanding. She says no problem, they normally don't allow young children in that restaurant for that particular reason but do make an exception when it's the Captains son, Wife and Mother. Oh well, I dissed the entire family of the Captain.

Anyway.. The service and dinner was superb. Our headwaiter at our normal dinner table had told us we can order as many appetizer and salad, dessert selections as we wished but only 1 entree. We both had crab cakes, and lobster bisque to start. Scrumptious. I had a 14oz NY Strip and my wife had a 9oz Filet Mignon. She said hers was OK(not the best ever) mine was outstanding. Choices were a huge lobstertail, 24oz Porterhouse, Veal Chop, Lamb crown chops, King Crab (cold) and the 2 we selected. Salad was prepared tableside, Ceasar. Excellent. I had wasabi and horseradish mashed potato, grilled veggies, wild mushrooms, Bernaise and peppercorn sauces. By dessert time all I could fit was berries and fruits. Really a nice meal. As good as you get in NYC upscale places. With a bottle of decent wine ($32.) and a little extra gratuity, it was a bit over $100.

Who's better than us?

Night Shows: All were OK. Generations on night 1 was good. I thought the Juggler was the best show of all. Real talent. The Hypnotist was OK, pretty comical, not sure if they were really hypnotized. Comedians were cruise ship worthy, won't see any of them on TV. Beatles tribute was just OK for me. The 30 minute historical documentary style show before the stage show was real good. But I don't like to see Vegas style dance routines put to Beatles music, sort of an oxymoron, no? I'm a purist when it comes to the Beatles,

and found it uninterssting at times. The band Music Unlimited played some decent songs in costume near the end and did a good job. I was fortunate enought to see McCartney buring the last world tour and that's my Beatles memory, sorry.

Cruise Director: Mark Hawkins takes alot of heat from these boards, not sure if it's valid. I personally don't let a person make or break my cruise. To me, he's an emcee to introduce the shows and make a few announcements. When I get to the point where I rely on them to get me through a cruise, just take me in my wheelchair and push it over the rail and be done with it. Along with Tex and Karl, they did a decent job from what I saw. They were reasonably funny. I kind of think Mark likes the abuse, because he and the guys made reference to it several times. Again, I don't judge the success of a cruise on those guys performance by any means. I can't even recall any of the CD's on my other cruises and those trips were awesome.

Ports of call: We took this trip as a "recuperation" for my wife after some very recent surgery. We planned no formal excursions, although we are avid snorklers(left the equipment home). I always do it on my own anyway based on these boards experienced people and have done well 100%. In Port Canaveral we hopped a cab and went to Cocoa Beach Market Village or something like that. Don't waste your time. $50+ cab fare and nothing to do.

People talked highly of the Cape Canaveral Space Center. Most took a cab or rented a car. Doing Disney from the ship must be a nightmare. I've stayed there 7 times already and can only imagine what 1/2 day would be like. Nassau day we just took the water taxi to Atlantis, $6.pp round trip. Good for a couple hours, nice fish to be seen in the aquarium. Straw market is a joke at the piers. Their bargains aren't bargains and they don't negotiate anywhere near realistic terms. Senor Frogs is there for a cocktail. Freeport day we just stayed on the ship. Very short stay, not worth it to get off for us. Several people we talked to had snorkling excursions cancelled at the boat due to choppy water. Getting off the boat when we did was a chore, not too organized. Does not help when they have 2000 people trying to get off the ship and they want to take everyones picure doing it, now really. Like I said, we didn't do this cruise for the destinations, just to enjoy the cruising-and we sure did!!

Part 3 coming momentarily, that's it I promise.

Alprzy

alprzy - Fabulous Miracle review(s). Best I've read ANYWHERE...even on all the cruise websites.

We're planning on dining at Nick & Nora's for 2 nights and I can't wait.

You and your DW sound very much like the kind of cruisers we will be. Not into the Vegas style shows trying to be something else (do love Broadway, though) and the "music that really just isn't that good".

We've been confirmed for two-tops in Horatio's and will request the same at Nick & Nora's. We will switch tables also if our situation is the same - so funny about dissing the Captain's family - lol! :) (maybe the should've worn name tags - ha!)

I'm also with you about the CD have to be a bigger-than-life personality. Don't get it.

Again, thanks a million....really appreciate your comments.

Okay, guess Nick & Noras is gonna have to be on the agenda one night, you've talked me into it!

We're planning on relaxing on board at Cape Canaveral & enjoying hopefully more space by the pool. :)

Thanks again for the review!

~Sharon~

Night Shows: I thought the Juggler was the best show of all. Real talent. The Hypnotist was OK, pretty comical, not sure if they were really hypnotized.

Alprzy

I agree that the juggler was quite good and very funny. However, the hypnotist was my favorite. I imagine it's a totally different show depending on the guests he has on stage. The night we saw him was hysterical. I have to say, I'm certain they were actually hypnotized. I was skeptical for part of the show, but later on I spoke to one of the girls (pink spider killer) if she was truly hypnotized, and she explained to me that she understood the things she was doing, and she knew that if she did what he asked, she'd be embarrased, but she couldn't not do what the hynotist told her. She said she was pretty embarrased. Just a little piece of advice. Don't volunteer for the hynotist. He made people do really silly things. I'd have been mortified, but it was fun to watch others.

I wasnt' too crazy about the Beatles tribute thing either, but I did like the Generations show.

Diane

Archived