Passports

Diamond Jim

I've heard two stories about the new passport requirements for crusing this year (2007). We are crusing November 25-December 2 on the Conquest porting out of Galveston. It will be our second cruise. If flying is NOT involved at any level, are passports mandatory for going on a Western Carribean cruise in 2007 or can we wait and get them next year?:confused:

WOW! Thanks for the super quick reply. Our intention was to purchase our passports this year but have had an unexpected expense come up so we were wanting to wait until 2008. All of our future vacation plans will be cruises. Our first one was last year and we fell in love with it. We are coming out of the Dallas area and looking forward to every minute of it. Let's go cruising.

I've heard two stories about the new passport requirements for crusing this year (2007). We are crusing November 25-December 2 on the Conquest porting out of Galveston. It will be our second cruise. If flying is NOT involved at any level, are passports mandatory for going on a Western Carribean cruise in 2007 or can we wait and get them next year?:confused:

Passports are not manditory just yet. There is wait to get them once you apply which could be up to 5 months. I personally recommend them now becasue if you get stuck, you will need it to get back home. And like someone else said. Soon, you will have to show passport for more than travel. It will be like you Drivers Liscens. It is also a good from of ID for job's, bank accounts, etc. Of course like someone else said, the date could change. There was such a rush on Passports this year that they are so back logged. But once they get caught up, the manditory date will change. They are now saying June 09 for manditory date.

We applied March 5, and they came the week of May 21. So that tells you how long it took. Some that applied at the same time, however, are still waiting for theirs to get there. Guess it depends on how many from your county have applied.

Just remember to make photo copies of your BirthCertificates because they take the origional ones and send off with the PPT application. That way if you don't get them back, you could take your application receipt and your birth certificate copy and hopefullly be able to sail that way. But if you are not cruising till December, then you stil have plenty of time to get them.

I guess in short I am saying Go ahead and get the ppts. You will be better off in the long run.

The current status is that PP will be required starting 1 January 2008, but they have changed the dates three times in the last 18 months and it can change again. I would be safe and get them.

However, in your situation, with unexpected expenses, you are currently safe and do not need them. Your gamble, but I would be safe if I could.

Archived