the truth about NCL America

Hey everyone,I've read some posts and some of them have bothered me. If you read some of my old posts and replies you know I'm pretty honest and tell it the way it is. I know Ncl America is a debatable topic so here is my views. Workers/service: You will not find one worker on this ship who doesn't work hard. Working 8-14 hours a day, 7 days a week is not a easy task at all. Yes some work harder then others at times but everyone works hard. The statement "NCL America's crew doesn't work hard like the international ship workers" is not only offensive, its just not true. The main differenence between the two is the turn over rate. Fewer people here work for 20+ years. I've also had several people say they like the American crew over international. We can communicate better and have chats etc. As far as service there is no difference. I've cruised on several ships including NCL international and found there to be no difference at all. Yes there are wait times during dinner time at peak times, but you tell me one restauant that doesn't have this. On the ship I'm on for example (Pride Of America) all the restauarnts are above 82. The Buffet is at 84. This is higher then 6 of the international ships. The company says the goals for all ships are 85. Also for the people who say they miss the cold fruit soups, they are in the buffet fruit station every night. Problems:NCL America had service issues at the start and they will be the first to admit it but now their only problem is $$$. A large reason for this is because of crew turnover and the cost of training. They are working on this by shutting down Piney point (training place in Baltimore) and flying people straight here. They got rid of several of the trainers there also. They are now offering nice bonuses for crew who stay every two months and 25% international crew have joined the ship. People saying they are thinking of canceling their cruises in 7 months because they had a week without AC is crazy. Also people who write a page of negatives without a good thing is also crazy. I'm sorry but I don't believe all of them and I feel sorry for people like that. So if you were a crew on the ships during a bad time or a passenger then you don't realize how things have changed. If you haven't noticed we are three cruise ships like this in the world that are American flagged. Why would you say you want it to fail?? People complain when companies export jobs---its the same thing with this. This is a great thing for the country. The president visited the training place, if that doesn't say something then I don't know what does. I for one am proud to call the Pride Of America my home, and I hope everyone with a reservation ignore the talk from people who don't really know what they are talking about.

Also for the people who say they miss the cold fruit soups, they are in the buffet fruit station every night. .

I appreciate the post and am already anxious for my PoAl cruise. But do I really need to go the buffet, get a bowl of soup and bring it back to the main dining room ;) (we're not buffet fans)

Actually, since they're there, we'll probably just swing by and have a soup sometime after we're done in the dining room

Great post, though some paragraph formatting would have made it an easier read! ;)

We sailed the POH back in April and really enjoyed the crew and the ship. We didn't witness any of the crew failures many are so vocal about. We talked to many of the crew, and in many cases came right out and complimented them for doing great jobs. The reports out there about the American crews failing are simply misconstrued. I'll also add, our cabin steward on deck 8 mid was incredible.

• Administrators

James, I am SO sorry you aren't going to be on POH in July as you initially thought! I would so love to get a chance to say "hey" and tell you in person how much a "young American crew member's" viewpoint helps out on these boards. :) Good post, and thanks! (or better yet, Mahalo!)

Great post. The majority of the reviews are pretty good now. I just wonder how many people on here complaining were on some of the first cruises when they really had issues and just won't let it rest. As for young Americans being lazy, just think of all the young men and woman in the military, many years ago I was onboard a submarine and I can assure you no one was lazy there.

Take care,

Michael

Thanks for this post. I haven't noticed too many people saying the American crew members don't work hard, but I do see a lot of posts pointing out that they tend not to work as efficiently as the NCL crews.

As you point out, the turnover is huge, and that cuts down on service efficiency because you're constantly having new people come in. As you say yourself, Americans tend not to stay too long. That has a huge effect on the service because you have a large proportion of the crew just starting out at any given time. They're not as efficient as the seasoned crew, and the seasoned crew has to pick up the slack, slowing them down.

It's nice that NCLA is giving bonuses for staying two months, but that doesn't speak too well of the crew's commitment to sticking around. Perhaps NCLA crews are working hard while they're on board, but they appear to be quick to walk off the job, and again, that has a negative effect on service.

I agree that "thinking of canceling their cruises in 7 months because they had a week without AC is crazy," but I need to correct your statement that it's only been a week without AC. It's been a number of weeks now--not that I'd cancel anyway that far out, but I think we should be accurate and acknowledge that the AC has turned into a long-term problem on the POA.

This is a great thing for the country. The president visited the training place, if that doesn't say something then I don't know what does. I for one am proud to call the Pride Of America my home, and I hope everyone with a reservation ignore the talk from people who don't really know what they are talking about.

I certainly hope you're referring to Colin Veitch not the "other" president. 'Nuff said.:rolleyes:

I certainly hope you're referring to Colin Veitch not the "other" president. 'Nuff said.:rolleyes:

I was trying to think of something that wouldn't start a bunch of political arguments but this has me LMAO

Nope, it was actually George W, who visited the Seafarers International Union Training School in Piney Pt., Maryland last labor day. They reported it on the local news in Baltimore.

Michael

What?! That's the nail in the coffin for NCLA, then! ;)

Great post. I sailed on the Pride of Hawaii earlier this year and thought the crew was very hard working, had a great attitude, and did a great job. It was a great ship and I would encourage anyone interested in seeing Hawaii to do it on one of the NCLA ships (particularly the Pride of Hawaii while its available).

James,we will be on your ship in a few months. I sure hope we get to meet you. Our roll call is small, but everyone on it is excited to be sailing the Pride of America. I sailed many years ago on the now departed Constitution with an American crew - also a 7 day Hawaii only cruise. It was my first cruise and gladly not my last. My TA said NCLA compares to that cruise, and if so, I will definitely have a great time.

I have had good and not so good experiences with Celebrity, RCI, and Carnival. I haven't quit cruising yet, and won't let a good or perhaps not so good experience with NCLA change that.

That being said, I really am happy to have found CC. I appreciate all reviews good and bad. I can prepare for my trip as an informed traveler and I want to thank everyone who takes the time to post a review.

James - are you okay! Is someone threatening you? If there's a gun to your head type "cream cheese"

hee hee - I'm just kidding. So how's it going working on the POAm? What part of the ship are you assigned to? I appreciate your post. If I may ask a question, now that you've been there for a bit, what is the reason for the fast turnover? I realize this may be sticky for you to answer :) but IF you can - I'm interested to know.

James, NCLA should be proud to have such a dedicated and loyal employee!

I would LOVE to sail on one of the NCLA ships some day -- all I have to do is convince DH to get on a plane!!:eek:

You can eliminate one flight, or both, by taking another cruise ship to and from Hawaii. For example, the Sun sails to Hawaii and back to the mainland this fall. Other cruise lines sail one way cruises too, to and from Hawaii.

Take one ship from the West Coast, sail a week on a "Pride", sail back on another ship. Let's see what's available this year?:eek:

A possible dream come true?

9-Day Vancouver to Honolulu

Pacific Princess Sep 12-Sep 21

7-Day Honolulu to Honolulu

Pride of America Sep 22-Sep 29

10-Day Honolulu to Ensenada

Norwegian Sun Sep 29-Oct 9

Add a train or bus trip from where you live in the USA or Canada to Vancouver and San Diego at both ends, and you can see Hawaii without flying one mile.:)

The itinerary above requires an overnight stay at a hotel in Vancouver, Honolulu, and San Diego. But it's doable, if you have the time and cash.:D

Americans are the best. They work hard and care about the passengers.

What the...?! Like international crews don't?

Maybe NCLA should target its advertising to subscribers of the theory of American exceptionalism. It's not like there's a shortage of 'em.

We were on the PoAm in Oct. 2006 and I think the American staff is hardworking, enthusiastic, friendly, and eager to please. I think the biggest problem are with the dining venues being understaffed.

Also, in speaking with many of the staff, they spoke about how much time is left on their contract. They view the job as temporary and not a career.

The real difference we noticed in American staff vs International:

International: sophisticated, reserved, neat appearance (usually very slender based on what we all think is normal for Americans) and very professional, little direct eye contact.

American: a little more down home attitude, very friendly and outgoing, bigger people (like most US tourists) not always as pulled together looking with uniforms and such, not quite as polished in service skills, proud and great eye contact! (go u.s.a.!)

We thought the American crew was quite different from the International crew, but we also thought they were great and tried real hard. Alot of the young crew that we spoke with were a little overwhelmed at their duties but they were trying real hard. I think alot of the international crew do take on the ship life as a career where the Americans tend to view it as an adventure to try for a while.

I was mostly disappointed in the rude, petty or boorish behavior of some of my fellow passengers. (...geesh! some folks acted like just cuz they paid for a cabin for the week they were kings and queens with personal servants!)

Guest maler

I wish I had met James on our cruise the first week of May 2007.

We too ignored all of the negative reviews figuring those people were expecting too much. This was my 6th cruise.

Unfortunately I was one of those that did not have a good cruise even though I was looking forward to the all American crew. And I don't blame the crew at all. I would blame NCLA and won't cruise with them again.

1) A 45 minute wait for a table in the regular dinning room when dozens of tables were empty 3 nights in a row?

2) Wrong food brought to me almost every night?

3) Cold food 3 times in one week? Some inedible?

4) Paid for a balcony room that ended up being partially blocked?

5) Lazy J steakhouse service was worse that the regular dinning room for an extra charge?

6) Loved the in-room coffee makers but couldn't get clean coffee cups to drink it?

7) Only 1 dance option in the Mardi Gras and the music was bad?

8) Ordered a steak 'medium' came back rare, took 10 minutes to find the waiter again, sent the steak back, the same steak was brought back to me with the bite I took out of it?

9) Dirty public bathrooms with no paper towels multiple times?

10) Standard martinis cost $12?

On the positive:

It was Hawaii.

NCL refunded us over $1000 after receiving my letter.

Three couples wrote a formal complaint about an excursion after speaking with the 'manager' of shore excursions. At first he was very defensive and getting upset with our complaints. But after speaking with him for a while, I think he understood where we were coming from and suggested we write the formal complaint.

BTW, we've been on many excursions on NCL and several on NCLA and always felt they were excellent. Well, we never heard back from them; that's the way to go to to get repeat customers. ... :(

I really don't like being ignored. We weren't looking for anything but an acknowlegement would have gone a long way.

Archived