Snorkeling Fear

skm71

I'm afraid that I'll get to busy looking down and be carried way out by the currents. How do you stay in check with what is going on around you and enjoy the snorkeling w/o looking up continuously? I just don't want to get so into the snorkeling and not realize I might be in trouble. Thanks, SKM

If you are going with a group tour, you can ask if they will put someone into the water with you, and if so, flag for that person that you aren't a strong swimmer/have some fears, but it's still ultimately up to you to keep safe.

Find out ahead of time, from someone who is familiar with the snorkeling location (from tour guides or local dive shops or tour operators) about conditions and things to watch out for (i.e. strong currents during full moon; heavy chop in afternoon; current etc.)

Don't over-reach. If you're not a confident swimmer, don't snorkel a site that is known for currents or one that is known to be advisable for experienced people only. If choppy water freaks you out, don't go in far or stay near the dive boat.

Always wear a float vest and fins so you can float/rest and swim more strongly.

If you are snorkeling on your own (not a tour), don't go into the water without a "buddy" who is an experienced, confident swimmer who PROMISES to keep an eye on you. If I were not a strong and confident swimmer, I would look for shore snorkeling in shallow water that is known to be calm that day with no current (with a vest and a buddy) or I would call some dive operators and tell them my level of comfort and concerns, see what they recommend and then check it out online before booking.

Not to scare you away AT ALL -- I love snorkeling and I would love to see you enjoy it to the max too. It just means taking a few basic steps ahead of time to be sure that the best thing that happens to you is that you see a sea turtle, fabulous coral, colorful fish ... and that the worst thing that happens to you is a slightly sunburned fanny (slather up with sunscreen!) and not that you got into a situation where you were scared, uncomfortable or at risk.

There are plenty of snorkeling tours and/or from shore sites that will let you marvel at all the wonders of the sea without being nervous. If you're concerned about your location in reference to a dive boat or shore (smart) just do a heads up regularly and check your position. You can take a plastic whistle on a bungie and tie that to your float vest, so that if you get separated, you can quickly and forcely let people know you need help.

Take a few safety precautions ahead of time, and then you can relax and enjoy a terrific, memorable day of snorkeling!

Archived