Snorkeling 101

ShedQueen77

Please don't laugh too hard at me!!!

I've never snorkeled before. Thanks to the valuable advice from a fellow CC member (Thanks again, Ventureman!! :) ) my fiance and I purchased snorkeling gear. I had a phobia about sticking a used snorkel in my mouth! We are doing BOSS in St. Thomas and will have the opportunity to snorkel. We'd also like to try some snorkeling on our 'beach day' in Antigua.

However....neither of us have a CLUE on HOW to snorkel!! The only snorkeling experience I have is in my backyard pool! lol What exactly do you do? How do you breathe (besides through the tube! lol)? I've seen pictures of people having their snorkels under the water? How is that possible or did I just see a picture of someone swimming around underwater with a snorkel in their mouth? :D

I would really appreciate any information or tips you could give a beginner. I've tried searching the internet and the CC boards with not a lot of luck. Thank you again! :)

Hi Laura,

Check out the thread, learning to snorkel before cruising on this board. You will see some advice that is aimed at kids, but works for grown-ups too.

I guess one reason that there isn't a whole lot of info. on "how to snorkel" is that it is pretty easy and intuitive. Practice in the backyard pool is a very cool idea! Breathe deep and slow like Darth Vadar; remember you can pick your head up any time; and if you do suck water through your tube, either blow it out hard, or surface, take out your mouthpiece and spit.

Yes, people do dive down below the surface to look at stuff closer up and then come to the surface to clear their tube, but you do not have to do that until/unless you feel ready. Most people swim along the surface and their tube is above the water level (absent those pesky waves) ...

I strongly recommend a float vest for everyone -- so that you have an extra measure of security/bouyancy if you get tired or are a little less than perfectly comfortable with snorkeling.

Check out your mask and fins etc. ahead of time to make sure they are a good fit and don't rub on your heels/gums.

Remember to slather yourselves with sunscreen (including anywhere your suit might ride up along the fanny or back -- which will be sunny-side up!).

Make sure you're going in shallow, calm water with no current or unexpected drop off, with a buddy who will keep an eye on you, or with a quality organized excurision (and let the organizers know you're a first timer) -- but regardless, don't snorkel somewhere unknown until you find out from knowledgeable local sources about conditions -- and always wear a float vest, and you should have a fabulous time.

Follow a few basic safety precautions, practice up a bit ahead of time, and have a wonderful fishy-filled adventure!

Make sure there's absolutely no hair caught in the mask. Even on strand of hair would break the seal and you'll have a leak in the mask. Annoyance for an experienced snorkeler, and panic inducing for a beginner.

Thank you very much! :) I'll go read that thread now.

One more quick question: My fins are open heel (strap on the back). Should I invest in a pair of booties? I've tried them on and they don't pinch or anything, but I imagine that could change when kicking around! :)

My husband just puts on a pair of thick old socks and they work just fine for him, but I think booties are good idea. I like wearing them walking across hot sand or rocks, and keeping my feet warm in water, but they are not essential. Booties are made of rubber and they don't pinch if they are the right size.

By the way, there's no need to kick with fins. Keep your knees straight and move your legs up and down gently. This gentle movement will give you enough speed. Kicking doesn't make you go faster. It only serves to tire you out and scare the fish you are trying to observe.

Please advise where to find the learning to snorkel thread that was mentioned. I did a search on this board and couldn't find it. I have snorkeled before but pretty much didn't know what I was doing. Some advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Renee

Archived