First time Princess and slightly confused...

tonimari99

I definitely belong to the "jeans" generation and own several pairs of designer jeans, so let me respond here: It doesn't matter how expensive the jeans are, they're still jeans. To the average, non-fashionista eye, expensive jeans look pretty much the same as cheap jeans from Old Navy. And there are just some venues that jeans, even those Seven for All Mankinds that make my legs look awesomely long and thin, are not appropriate. And if the Princess dress code says no jeans, I would interpret that to mean jeans are not appropriate.

That said, why on earth would anyone want to wear jeans in a tropical environment? It's hot, for crissakes. This is the time to wear fun, summer-weight clothes. Just sayin'

You will find the same manner of dress on Princess as you find on any of the other mass market cruise lines. There will be people wearing tuxes, suits, shirt & tie, shirt only, jeans, shorts, t-shirts etc. While they do state that shorts are not permitted in the dining room, they seem to be the only item not regularly seen there, but are still there.

Whilst there may be "reports" of people being turned away from the dining rooms, these tend to be from people who always push the dress up attire anyway, so take these with a grain of salt. On my last 7 Princess cruises in the last 2 years I have seen no one turned away from a dining room wearing whatever they had on, formal night included. This included a 17 day Panama Canal cruise.

Most people on the ship could not care less about what other people wear, it seems to be an affectation one experiences only on these forums.

Having recently returned from the Caribbean Princess, we saw all manner of dress on people in the dining rooms on ALL nights, and after dinner, well, anything goes.

My best advice is to dress in whatever manner you are comfortable in, be it rebel or conformist, modernist or traditional.

Cheers,

Peter

I have seen only one person turned away. That was eight years ago on Rotterdam VI. He was wearing shorts.

He was a major in the U.S. Army. I know that because he wore his dress uniform on formal night and looked great. Considering that, I'm sure he wasn't trying to flaunt the dress rules. He, like many others who aren't aware of all the "rules" while they're vacationing, simply wasn't aware of the "no shorts" rule. To the dismay of some CC regulars, their number is legion.:D

Since that incident, I too have seen people admitted to dinner who were in violation of the dress code. Although I haven't yet seen a tank top in the main dining room, yet!.

I completely understand the "jeans thing" . That's what I meant by it being generational. If you look to my original post on this topic , I mentioned that on Carnival they said no jeans. Same dress code as Princess. I think that the people on my particular ship read "only jeans". Lol. So although I know that is the set dress code, do you see it on Princess as often, or not at all? That's really what we want to know. Thanks.

The longer the cruise, the dressier they tend to be. Personally, I wear light tropical style dresses on non formal nights. These dresses can be dressed up or down, depending on the accessories. From my experience, I have seen most women dress in anything from sundresses to cocktail dresses on non formal nights. There are also a few women who will dress in nice pants and tops. I hope that helps.:)

I completely understand the "jeans thing" . That's what I meant by it being generational. If you look to my original post on this topic , I mentioned that on Carnival they said no jeans. Same dress code as Princess. I think that the people on my particular ship read "only jeans". Lol. So although I know that is the set dress code, do you see it on Princess as often, or not at all? That's really what we want to know. Thanks.

On cruises to cooler climates, like Alaska for example, you do see people dressed more casually on Princess - and yes, in jeans also. I also cruise on Carnival - last winter aboard the Valor, we saw lots of people in very casual clothes at night, including jeans. But Carnival's clientèle is a little different from Princess - not a lot different, but just enough to notice.

Will you guys stick out like a sore thumb if you wear a pair of expensive designer jeans? Probably not, especially if you pair it with an elegant top and nice sandals. Will you see many others dressed like this? Probably not; just realize that you will be in the minority.

With that said, 75% or more of the people cruising on your ship will never bother to check out this website, nor will they bother to read through their pre-cruise documentation. They won't care what you wear!

As far as staff turning away passengers not dressed appropriately, the only time I have seen this happen was on Formal Night and only at the alternative restaurant, so it's doubtful you will be turned away in nice jeans on non-formal nights. Since I have a hunch you aren't planning to wear jeans every night, why not check out with others on your cruise are wearing? Then you will know for sure!

Take what you read here with a grain of salt. People do mean well, but like I said before, dress tends to be a generational thing. Good luck and have a fun trip.

Suzi

I guess my main question was if a lady was to wear say a beautiful blouse and designer jeans with heels and accessories on one of the non formal nights would it be at all ok.

I don't think I've seen jeans in the dining room on the Princess cruises I have taken. But then, it could be because they may have been so well accessorized that I did not notice them being jeans. I just checked the Princess Patter from the Star Princess and this is what it says:

Dress Code:

Please be guided that shorts, tank tops, hats and baseball caps will not be permitted in the Formal Restaurants or at Sabatinis & Tequilas at dinner time.

This is what the Patter for the Diamond Princess says:

Dress Codes:

During the day, sportswear and casual clothes are suggested.

Guidelines for wear from 5:30pm and throughout the evening are:

Formal: A dinner jacket dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies.

Smart Casual: An open-neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt and blouse or trouser suit outfit for ladies. Shorts and T-Shirts are not permitted in the Dining Rooms.

As you can see, the only thing absolutely not allowed are beachwear type clothes. Therefore I'm sure you'll be OK with designer jeans. Hope this helps.

I guess my main question was if a lady was to wear say a beautiful blouse and designer jeans with heels and accessories on one of the non formal nights would it be at all ok. Like many people have stated, it is a generational thing. Older people will dress differently than younger. I just wanted to know on Princess, how taboo it is. Obviously it does happen. I can see why some would frown at flip flops t-shirt and jeans, but I am not talking about jeans in that context. I understand how people feel about dress codes. I also understand that when you are on vacation, you are on vacation. Most people are trying to let work be at work and leave the dress codes behind. I don't personally think that anyone is trying to be rude by what they choose to wear. I know about the buffet options, but I was wondering about the dining room specifically, on the non formal nights. Thanks!!

You will be perfectly fine wearing jeans. We have both worn them and seen them on many, many people.

Cheers,

Peter

That said, why on earth would anyone want to wear jeans in a tropical environment? It's hot, for crissakes. This is the time to wear fun, summer-weight clothes. Just sayin'

Perhaps you might want to speak with many of the natives in Florida, Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, St Maarten and St Thomas we saw about how hot their clothing is and let them know they are wearing the wrong kind of clothing. :D

Cheers,

Peter

Archived