Background checks for childcare staff

jennrain

We are taking our 7 year old son on his first cruise in September. I am fine with leaving him in the kids clubs because I know he will have fun but I am concerned about the backgrounds of the staff. How do I know that the staff is safe?:confused:

Are they staff of the cruise line or are they contractors of another agency? You can never be too careful these days-sad but true.

We are traveling on Mariner of the Seas.

Thanks

Jennrain

My understanding is that the counselors are employess of RCCI. They have to have a minimum of a bachelors degree in a child/recreational discipline, and demonstrated work experience with children of various ages. I have been assured that the line does do background checks.

DD has attended AO on several RCCI ships. There are always multiple AO staff in the facility or accompanying the kids (never just one).

As for in-room sitting, that is just regular crew (not AO crew). The women (primarily) that do the in-room sitting go through no additional screening (than any other regular RCCI crew member would undergo). For in-room sitting, you are contracting directly with the crew member for sitting.

Hope this helps.

On RCCL there is always more than one staff member assigned to each of the younger age groups regardless of how many kids are participating. That way no staff is ever alone. A sort of checks/balance system.

I was going to say that too. My daughter is 7. When we were on Freedom, I had NO problem trusting the counselors there. There were always at least 2 counselors (sometimes more than that) with the kids at one time. And there are so many kids there.

Your son will be fine.

Archived