Any recommedations on underwater cameras?

njterp

Does anyone have a recommendation on an underwater digital camera? I've tried the pre-loaded, disposable film cameras and I was disappointed with the results. So now I'm willing to plunk down a few hundred for a decent waterproof digital camera. I'm looking at the Pentax Optio W30 for about $250. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm sure you know that cameras such as the Pentax Optio W30 or the Olypmus Stylus 720SW are only suitable for snorkeling. You will definitely get better photos with one of these than you'd get from a disposible. You will also have the ability to take many more photos without reloading and save a ton of money by only printing the "keepers". Also easier to work on the photos on your computer to make them better and sharing the images will be much simpler.

Here are a couple of reviews of those two cameras:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/stylus720.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/optio_w30.html

Olympus SP-350 is the way to go, at least in my opinion. :) 8MP, large LCD, can do RAW format, and is pretty in-expensive these days. Olympus has a housing for it that is decent, or if you have the money, go for the Ikelite housing. My current primary camera is the SP-350 with the Oly housing and an external strobe, and it's worked great for me.

Check this thread for lots of SP-350 info: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116433

That forum has a number of threads on the 350, so look around. There is also a compilation of digital camera suggestions/features on all different style cameras and manufacturers here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=156914

As the previous poster states there are good choices in a camera and housing. Do go to the threads listed.

You don't say if this if for diving or snorkeling. Either way, I would take a look at the Canon line of cameras along with Olympus. They also have undewater housings good for 130' at reasonable prices. With this setup you will have a great land camera and a great undewater camera. I use an A85 (since discontinuned). The A series are very good values. When underwater a little larger camera is better. The total cost would be under $300.

I bought my camera used from BHPhoto. They have some good values in essentially new cameras. However with the ever changing world of cameras good values can be had in new as well. I only recommend this source because it was hard for me to find a local source for underwater photography.

If you like this setup I would later get an inexpensive secondary flash to minimize backscatter and add color. I use a Sunpack G-flash. I also got this at BH Photo. I have had several divers say the with they had gone for a simpler outfit like mine instead of a more complex, cumbersome, and expensive outfit.

This is the route I took and my pictures have improved dramatically. The key to underwater photography is to get really close. Enjoy!

I use the Canon A620 with the underwater housing... am very please with the results. The Canon A620, actually has an underwater setting wich helps filter the light for a more natural color pallet.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I also recommend BHphoto as well... they are great to work with.

I purchased the Olympus Stylis 720 last year. Since then they have come out with a newer model that you can go deeper with. Mine goes up to 10 feet. I love this camera. It's great to carry around since it's so small. The only problem I have with it is the viewfinder. There's only a screen so when you're underwater it's really bright and hard to see what you're shooting. But if you get a big memory card, who cares? Shoot away. Here are some shots I've taken in Akumal, Mexico, and The Bahamas.

080-1.jpg.4bc2142eb59d642ef726a6e948fd0d1a.jpg

0109-1.jpg.1d1788cb0bd7e2b9a11b7371a4aaa9d7.jpg

0360-1.jpg.253785d7b0ea86d69f86bf53e30ee9cf.jpg

I use a Canon S80 with the underwater housing from Canon that's good to 130 feet. LOVE IT! I can email you a link to some samples if interested.

Or you could just post the link to your photos here. I'm sure others would like to see them.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an underwater digital camera? I've tried the pre-loaded, disposable film cameras and I was disappointed with the results. So now I'm willing to plunk down a few hundred for a decent waterproof digital camera. I'm looking at the Pentax Optio W30 for about $250. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

I was in the same situation as you, tired and disappointed with the quality of the underwater disposables. I recently bought a Sealife Reefmaster Mini, rated to 130', for $299. I took it to Hawaii, where I only snorkled unfortunately, but was pretty happy with the results. I am curious to see how it handles pictures at depth though.

903528417_SpottedMorey.jpg.795255153935d47c145cd68ecdc6760e.jpg

I will give the link to anyone that request it but due to the fact I have ALL of my photos on my website I would rather not broadcast it for Google to find :)

Google will find them if you post the link or not.

I've used canon cameras for several years, and adding the enclosure, they make an excellent underwater camera. You can check out my pictures at: http://www.randallgamby.com (later pages and individual galleries are from my A620). I also use an external strobe triggered off the flash for deeper pictures (caution, if you do this you must mask off all but the fiber optic cable connector space on the front of the case in front of the flash as the flash sends unwanted light through the clear plexiglass enclosure).

r

P.S. And I've had it down to 130ft. with no problems.

P.P.S. In addition, photoshop express, or better yet, photoshop helps greatly in getting true colors

Archived