Ok, settle a disagreement for me......

cruzegirl

Ok, I don't know if this varies ship to ship but I'm having a difference of opinion with a co-worker. I was told by a room steward a few years ago that the room stewards get a basic wage (minimum wage or below, can't remember) and then the gratuities or % of the weekly income they charge us for the room. You know, the fees they add on at the end......

She says No..... They only get the gratuities or % of the fees that are added on in the end as their income.

Anybody got the scoop on this? I'm sure it could have changed but I can't imagine their only income is from the % of the $10 per day they charge us.... That's like nothing......

Ok, I don't know if this varies ship to ship but I'm having a difference of opinion with a co-worker. I was told by a room steward a few years ago that the room stewards get a basic wage (minimum wage or below, can't remember) and then the gratuities or % of the weekly income they charge us for the room. You know, the fees they add on at the end......

She says No..... They only get the gratuities or % of the fees that are added on in the end as their income.

Anybody got the scoop on this? I'm sure it could have changed but I can't imagine their only income is from the % of the $10 per day they charge us.... That's like nothing......

"Cabin" stewards do get a base (very small). They also recieve$3.60 per day per gueat for "cabin" services. Part of which goes to an assistant which helps more than one "cabin" steward.

If they take care of 15 cabins a day that is $108.00 a day. They work 6 to 9 month contracts. That would be $19,000 on a six month contract plus the minimul base.

If you are from Indonisia of the Philipines this is like making $70,000 or more here. It is all relative to economics.

They make very good living for where they come from.

I have met many...many crew that have worked for the cruise lines for 20/25/30 years or more. And never complain. There families are set. :)

The amount of course varies from line to line, and based on the tips given. The salary is typically about $1,800/month. Remember - that's not for 40 hours of service. That is usually for 7 days a week, 12+ hours a day, of reasonably hard work. That's about $5/hr. You usually work during the day - so you can't enjoy the ports you're visiting - and you're not allowed to be on deck with the passengers in your off hours. Instead, you have a crew room below decks, and eat from the crew kitchen.

from

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art32734.asp

Archived