Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute

Proud Mom

I will be in King's Wharf from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. I am thinking of taking the ferry to Hamilton as I would like to go to the Underwater Exploration Institute. It would really help me if I can have answers to the following:

1. Can I walk to the Institute once I get off the ferry?

2. If so, how long would it take?

3. How long does the ferry take to get from King's Wharf to Hamilton?

Thanks to all, in advance, for all your help.:)

I will be in King's Wharf from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. I am thinking of taking the ferry to Hamilton as I would like to go to the Underwater Exploration Institute. It would really help me if I can have answers to the following:

1. Can I walk to the Institute once I get off the ferry?

2. If so, how long would it take?

3. How long does the ferry take to get from King's Wharf to Hamilton?

Thanks to all, in advance, for all your help.:)

Yes you can walk. We inadvertantly did. It was a lot longer than it looked on the map. It was at least 20 minutes. If we went again, we would take the bus as it will drop you right at the entrance. A taxi would not be too expensive. The French restaurant there is excellent, but rather pricy as usual in Bermuda. If you have kids it would be ok, for adults we thought it dated and lame. The lighted displays are very limited in impact compared to the Science Museum in Boston. The express ferry from the dockyard takes 25 minutes, and the local that stops at all the small, quaint villages takes 45 minutes. Hope this helps.:)

Yes you can walk. We inadvertantly did. It was a lot longer than it looked on the map. It was at least 20 minutes. If we went again, we would take the bus as it will drop you right at the entrance. A taxi would not be too expensive. The French restaurant there is excellent, but rather pricy as usual in Bermuda. If you have kids it would be ok, for adults we thought it dated and lame. The lighted displays are very limited in impact compared to the Science Museum in Boston. The express ferry from the dockyard takes 25 minutes, and the local that stops at all the small, quaint villages takes 45 minutes. Hope this helps.:)

Just to add. I also walked there and besides the time, which I also misjudged from the map, in some spots the sidewalks are very narrow, not even a person wide, and I was too close to cars whizzing by for my comfort level. I also thought it was lame.

Your post was extremely helpful, thanks! Can you tell me how much it would be to take the bus? I do have a daughter and thought she would love it.

Your post was extremely helpful, thanks! Can you tell me how much it would be to take the bus? I do have a daughter and thought she would love it.

The bus would be $3 cash each way or $2.50 each way via token. Your daughter depending on age would cost $2 up to age 16, under 5 rides for free. If you bought the one day pass, it would cost you $12 for unlimited use of the buses and ferries and $8 for your daughter up to age 16. Again under 5 rides the buses and ferries for free. I agree with Charles, I also felt uncomfortable with the cars whizzing rather close by. With the absense of sidewalks, it didn't seem like walking was encouraged. Rather than this "attraction", I would take your daughter to Snorkle Park which is in the dockyards. There will be plenty of other kids there and lots to do. You do need to bring crocs as the beach is a little bit rocky. You could also take her to the Aquarium and Zoo which was a lot of fun and very interesting. It is very clean, doesn't smell and a lot of the birds and animals wander around uncaged. There is also a nice snack bar. Just the appearance of the orange monkeys (marmosets?) and the flamingos are neat. You could do the Aquarium in the morning and take her to Snorkle Park in the afternoon. That way you would be near the ship, if you misjudged your time. In the Clocktower Mall then is also a Ben and Jerry's ice cream shop, a rum cake factory with free samples and can watch them blowing glass.:)

BUEI is about 0.8 miles from the ferry terminal, and you have to pass some very busy stretches of road, depending on the time of day. I don’t find it very exiting. The shell collection is neat but boy is the “deep sea elevator” corny. BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo) would be my first choice, and I've been to both a number of times. (Were you thinking of the Golden Lion Tamarins? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Lion_Tamarin)

BUEI is about 0.8 miles from the ferry terminal, and you have to pass some very busy stretches of road, depending on the time of day. I don’t find it very exiting. The shell collection is neat but boy is the “deep sea elevator” corny. BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo) would be my first choice, and I've been to both a number of times. (Were you thinking of the Golden Lion Tamarins? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Lion_Tamarin)

Thank you for the clarifarcation. The monkey is a marmoset but is more commonly known as the Golden Lion Tamarin. It is a beautiful creature with the golden, orange hair. The kids at the zoo were quite taken with them as could be expected. I thought the aquarium and zoo were exceptional, especially for children. Clean, well organized and interesting. There was also a snack bar with reasonably priced food. Yes, that "deep sea elevator" was exceptionally corny and lame. So much so that I just had to laugh out loud after getting off. I do have a question though. Can I book the bell diving seperately from the ship? And do you have a website address? Thanks:)

We walked too, and I agree.. take the bus. It's far.

Unlike those who thought it was lame, I enjoyed it. They have a huge collection of shells from all over the world, and an interesting display of artifacts from sunken ships.

The "deep sea" dive was pretty hokey, but the kids will like that. I think you'll enjoy the rest of the museum.

Thank you for the clarifarcation. The monkey is a marmoset but is more commonly known as the Golden Lion Tamarin. It is a beautiful creature with the golden, orange hair. The kids at the zoo were quite taken with them as could be expected. I thought the aquarium and zoo were exceptional, especially for children. Clean, well organized and interesting. There was also a snack bar with reasonably priced food. Yes, that "deep sea elevator" was exceptionally corny and lame. So much so that I just had to laugh out loud after getting off. I do have a question though. Can I book the bell diving seperately from the ship? And do you have a website address? Thanks:)

He may not be allowed to post that to the board himself. I know several years ago I talked to him at Harbour night and he was booking people separately from the ship. I actualy have his website bookmarked since the helmet dive is something I want to do sometime. Maybe I will get around to it in September. http://www.hartleybermuda.com/

Right you are, it is a marmoset. Here I am posting a link to an article I didn’t even read.:rolleyes:

That was a very informative article with some great photos of the marmosets. The name, Golden Lion Tamarinds is as pretty as the monkeys themselves. I had never seen them before in any zoo, so it was quite a surprise to say the least. I will be in touch with you. Thanks again for taking the time to research the marmosets.:)

You are quite correct Charles, tour operators are not allowed to use cruise critic to advertise, that includes posting my website, or even having it listed in my profile. My email should be in my profile (either under “download vcard”, which you can open in notepad, or in one of my messenger screen names).

I recently discovered that my email address was not listed, though I could have sworn it was in the past. It may have been removed by a moderator, but I haven’t received a notice that it was breaking the rules, so I have re-entered it. In any case it is my personal email, not my business email.

You probably spoke to my dad at harbour nights.

He may not be allowed to post that to the board himself. I know several years ago I talked to him at Harbour night and he was booking people separately from the ship. I actualy have his website bookmarked since the helmet dive is something I want to do sometime. Maybe I will get around to it in September. http://www.hartleybermuda.com/

Charles, thanks for the link. I sent him an inquiry. It sounds like something interesting and different. Many posters here on Cruise Critics have made positive comments about the experience. I noticed you are going to Bermuda in September. We are going on the Majesty 9/30, will we run into you at the same time?:) It was such fun last year to meet so many cruise critics members in person. Putting a face to a name that you have conversed with so many times on these boards is a treat.

Charles, thanks for the link. I sent him an inquiry. It sounds like something interesting and different. Many posters here on Cruise Critics have made positive comments about the experience. I noticed you are going to Bermuda in September. We are going on the Majesty 9/30, will we run into you at the same time?:) It was such fun last year to meet so many cruise critics members in person. Putting a face to a name that you have conversed with so many times on these boards is a treat.

Too bad we won't be able to meet this year. I'll be there a few weeks ahead of you on the Journey 9/1 sailing. I always enjoy meeting crruise critic members, we have a small roll call going for our sailing. 63 days to go and I am looking forward to it!

Archived