Back from 6/12 Dawn Cruise Long review

Dee 13

Just back from the NCI Dawn what can I say? Embarkation went very quick & smooth, we got there around 11:20 & was on the ship by 12:30. In our cabin by 1:00. The rooms where always cleaned nicely. The sheets where very soft. They just put a comforter on the bed. It got hot at night so I asked my porter if he could leave us extra sheets I put on the he bed as a top sheet, It was much better. It got hot in the room I just turned down the comforter & used the sheet. The rooms are set at one temperature there is no other setting & it did get warm in the room. Inside the ship It seemed small, closed in & claustrophobic. There are no real open decks for you to sit. Near the pool is a very small area to lounge. The ship itself is very clean. Spotless. They have cute & beautiful pictures throughout the ship which I enjoyed. The food though out the ship wasn't the greatest. Most of the food is VERY salty. Went we complaint to the waiter in the Venetian he bought the Matrie d Over & he said that others also complained about it being to salty. We ate in Cagneys ...the Steaks where great but the sides were too salty. The lobster in the Aqua on formal night was great but the sides stink. When you go to the Garden Cafe...take a little of the items...we could hardly eat anything most of it was it was horrible. We wasted so much food people would take a few bites then leave the rest. Go to the fresh waffle station or to the omelet station for fresh cooked eggs any style. the Scrabbled eat they have sitting there are terrible. The bacon was good. They have nice Lox & cream cheese which I enjoyed a few mornings. I mostly ate the croissant for breakfast. In the Venetian one night I have the rack of lamb which consisted of two tiny lamb chops the meat was the size of a half dollar. I guess you could get more if you like. I think you would have to order two dinners to feel full, We always left the restaurants feeling hungry. I ordered the chocolate molten cake not made of any flour was suppose to be liquid inside..it tasted like cocoa power stuck together & was totally dry it has horrible. the waitress saw I pushed it aside & I asked for chocolate Ice cream which was delicious. The coffee everywhere is so strong. We did go to the sushi bar. that was great. You have to be careful what you order because each roll is cut into 8 pieces. If you order 3 rolls you have 24 pieces which was a lot to try & eat. I really enjoyed the sushi bar. At 12 noon near the pool they have a great Bar b que. They have hot dogs, chicken sometimes sausage & a stir fried rice with seafood & chicken...All of these items where really good. Well, I guess you get the idea about the food Its either really good or really bad. Now for the shows. We only went to 2 of them. The first on was a juggler...We wanted to hang ourselves...we couldn't leave because we were in the center of the row. Just a helpful hint...if you go sit at the top of the theater...at the edge of the row so you can leave if it's bad. The other show we saw was Bollywood it was good. If you want you can ask any questions I will try to answer them.

The people on board were not friendly at all. We went to a VIP party....Party it was not. Just a bunch of stiff couples talking the ears off of the Officers that kept looking around the room trying to escape.Couples would just look down at you like you where not on there level to even talk to. It was about the same thoughout the ship.

Thanks for the review im looking foward to our upcoming July cruise on the dawn it will be my second cruise both on the dawn I have nothing to compare it to but I thought there was plenty of room on the deck to hang out we stay on the upper deck over the pool it was great! Lots of lounge chairs on the promenade deck. To us the ship was big inside we never got to see Aqua, Cagney's or the gift shop we will this time:)

Thank you for a very fair and balanced review! These are the reviews that one can take seriously...the good and the bad!

One question though: when I was on the Dawn (and Star, her sister ship.), there were individual cabin temperature controls on the wall just outside the bathroom. Have they removed those? (we were in a balcony each time, it that matters.)

Now for the shows. We only went to 2 of them. The first on was a juggler...We wanted to hang ourselves...we couldn't leave because we were in the center of the row. Just a helpful hint...if you go sit at the top of the theater...at the edge of the row so you can leave if it's bad. The other show we saw was Bollywood it was good. If you want you can ask any questions I will try to answer them.

Or, you can do like I did. I didn't like the Bollywood show.....but I got a good nap in during the show!!

Thank you for a very fair and balanced review! These are the reviews that one can take seriously...the good and the bad!

One question though: when I was on the Dawn (and Star, her sister ship.), there were individual cabin temperature controls on the wall just outside the bathroom. Have they removed those? (we were in a balcony each time, it that matters.)

Or, you can do like I did. I didn't like the Bollywood show.....but I got a good nap in during the show!!

I'm curious about this too. We are considering the Dawn early next year but if you cannot control the temp in the room that would be a big deal to us. Especially my menopausual mom! :eek:

As of April of this year you were still able to regulate the ac and heat in your cabin as you pleased. My guess is that you still can..sometimes folks don't know where the controls are or not really sure how to work them. If you don't know just ask your room steward, they usually very happy to show you.

We also just returned.

Yes, there were temperature controls in both our cabins. (suite and an inside) We actually were frozen! This was the Coldest ship we were ever on, but to be fair I like to be warm. It didn't seem to bother others though.

Have sailed RCCL, CCL, DCL, and Celebrity. NCL actually falls at the end of my list, but it was not that it was bad. We just realized that we LIKE having the same waiter every night, we liked the food CHOICES better on other ships. (I did not care for the buffet-except the deli, some dinner menus were not to my taste)

Will we sail NCL again? Yes-if the itinerary is right and the price is good. Didn't love it, Didn't hate it. But then again I never met a cruise I didn't like.

On our last sailing of the Dawn, we were able to sit at tables and lounge chairs on the promonade deck, outside the Blue Lagoon. Is that still possible? It was a comfortable and friendly place to sit.

Dee 13

Ditto!!

Was on the same sailing as you 6/16/07. Totally agree with your opinion. Missed you at the CC meeting. I also heard from others that the VIP party was uppity and stiff. We didn't go. Dh and I have only sailed Dawn twice in the last 1 1/2 years and not sure if we will sail her agian. They are cutting back quite a bit. We were very pleased with the other cruise lines but wanted to try NCL.

Dee 13

Ditto!!

Was on the same sailing as you 6/16/07. Totally agree with your opinion. Missed you at the CC meeting. I also heard from others that the VIP party was uppity and stiff. We didn't go. Dh and I have only sailed Dawn twice in the last 1 1/2 years and not sure if we will sail her agian. They are cutting back quite a bit. We were very pleased with the other cruise lines but wanted to try NCL.

I'm sorry I missed the CC meeting I think we were at bingo. I feel bad because I bought a few gifts like toe rings, stretchy ankle bracelets & some cute bracelets to give to everyone. I heard that there was only about 5 people that showed up. From reading the message board I had a bad feeling about other CC members feeling like they thought they were better had better, etc., it sure proved me right when I went to the VIP party when I was snubbed. That was the feeling throughout out the ship...other cruises I was on, people would come in the elevator & say good morning & you could start up a conversation but not here. It was like that all over the ship. About the temp. control. It is near the bathroom door, but the temp would not go up & would not go down. It was the same with my girlfriend's daughters room. It seemed cold went you first went in but if you moved around like we were unpacking it would get very warm. Sleeping was cool because you didn't move around a lot. Then it would get hot, that why I asked for a top sheet so I could throw off the comforter. Like I said there was good points & bad about the ship. I am easy going & always try to made the best of any situation. Yes, you can sit outside the Blue Lagoon we would have tea out there at nite.We sat out there during the day to get out of the sun but it seems closed in because of all the life boats hanging over head, but there was always a nice breeze out there. We got a great price, It was good to get away from it all, we had a nice time in all the ports I enjoyed the day on the private Island. I made the best of my cruise.

Never a problem with lowering/raising (our individual) AC in our cabins on the Dawn:confused: .

Not sure how the Dawn can feel SMALL. Inside or outside:confused:

Did you check the layout of the ship? Atrium outside many lounges, pool deck many lounges. Where was it small?

You left a restaurant hungry? Did you ask for an additional salad, soup. salad, entree, dessert? We have NEVER left a restaurant hungry on the Dawn...without additional anythings.

Food too salty? We add salt to everything we eat on the Dawn.

Snubbed at the VIP party...hasn't happened to us in the past five NCL cruises? Who snubbed you? Crew or passengers?

We have always met lovely passengers at the VIP party and in the lounges, pool, etc.

We have met many wonderful staff/crew also.

NCL is not for everyone;)

Have a great cruise wherever you may sail with whatever line.

Dee ~ we missed you at the Meet N Greet! We missed a lot of people. I think it was because they changed the time on us 2 days before sailing. I heard that several more people showed up at the original posted time an hour later. We got to the VIP party late so we only had a chance to speak with a few people. I wish I could have had more time to chat with you there. But, you left before I could get over to where you were sitting.

I didn't really notice if people didn't talk to me while we were in the elevator or around the ship. Usually if I was in the elevator it was because I was too tired to take the stairs and was half-asleep! :) I wish you had a better time. It stinks that your temp controls don't work. Did you ask anyone about it?

I also felt a bit closed in around the pool because it really was very crowded. I didn't seek other places because my kids wanted to stay in the pool and I had to keep my eye on them. Otherwise I probably would have tried to find some more open space.

As far as being snubbed by CC members on our roll call, I hope there wasn't anything that I said or did that made you feel that way. If so, I apologize. It certainly wasn't my intention. :o

Regarding the food, this is where things can be perceived so much differently. We felt the food wasn't salty enough. And, we always walked away full (more like waddled!).

The one thing that I like about Freestyle is the fact that you CAN get the same waiter every night. Simply ask to sit in that person's section. We loved Lea in Venetian, so we had planned to sit in her section again. But, we never made it back to Venetian.

I hope you're willing to give NCL another try at some point. But, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I can't imagine we were on the same ship? I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

I thought the food was GREAT! I haved sailed the Dawn about every 6 weeks over the past year and I think the food was the best on this sailing!

The cabins were controlled with the themostat by the bathroom door. Our cabin was so cold, we actually had to put the heat on two nights.

I found plenty of open space especially the aft section by the kids pool and a full open deck above the kid pool.

There are plenty of lounge chairs on deck 7 and they even put tables and chairs outside by Pearly Kings, like the ones at Blue Lagoon.

If you read my review I did say a lot of positive things about the ship And about the food. I was just alerting other to be aware of the food and advised them to what was good in the buffet for breakfast. The crew was great and always friendly. There where no lounges free by the pool...all covered with towels that no on sat on. As for asking for additional food at the restaurants, it took a long time before we got the first food we order. Many of us sat there for a long time before we were even served. As for VIP party we have been to many others & had a great time laughing together talking ... people even got up & danced. This time everyone was just hanging out by themselves. I did not see one other couple talk to anyone else but the Officers. At this party No one seemed to mingled. I saw many people leave early. At the party we met a wonderful officer named Josephine. We even exchanged e mail address to keep in touch with one another. The crew was always great to us. I did love the idea of free style. To everyone...I really did have a great time I just wanted to share my own experience on the Dawn.

My wife, daughter (age 21) and I were on the Dawn's 6/16 cruise and liked it very much. It was our first time on NCL, and only our second cruise in 20 years (first was on RCL).

We enjoyed the Freestyle dining very much. We ate at Salsa's, Bamboo, Le Bistro, Impressions, as well as the Venetian and Aqua. Our favorite restaurant was Le Bistro but with the exception of Venetian (which was not bad, just not notable) we enjoyed them all. We found the service in the restaurants to be excellent and the pace of the meals was just right (spending 90 minutes or bit more at a nice meal is fine with me). The Garden Cafe food is OK. It's nice to have a place where grabbing a quick breakfast or lunch is easy. I like strong coffee so I was very happy with the coffee there and at the Blue Lagoon.

The ship is very beautiful and well maintained. With the exception of disembarkation I rarely felt that the ship was crowded.

Our stateroom (outside on deck 5) was very comfortable and I can't imagine spending more money for a bigger space or a balcony. Our room steward was not exceptional but we had everything we needed so we were satisfied. Otherwise I felt that the crew was exceptionally good, very patient, friendly and willing to please.

Negatives: evening entertainment is limited. We went to many things and enjoyed them but somehow it seemed that there were not many choices to be had. Disembarkation seemed very disorganized (we did "express"). Shore excursions were overpriced and not exceptional in any way.

But on the whole a great cruise and we're definitely fans of Freestyle.

2Cruise4Ever and PoohisMe2 you both sound like dolls I would cruise with you guys anyday:)

Dee13 I also have mixed feelings about the Dawn so im giving her another try I love the fact that she leaves from ny cant beat it and I liked the layout of the ship. The pool does get crowed first sea day we walk around looking for chairs for a good 45 minutes but after that I was up and at the spot I wanted at 7:45 way to early! but yes I held 2 chairs until my son and sister got up after that I was at the pool at 9:15 no problems.

As for the people I met good and bad but I loved who I was with so we had a great time and hope to again next month:)

Cruisingator2 Do try Salsa's maybe twice it was great I think we ordered everything on the menu and we ate it! Le Bistro was really excellent and the buffett is well a buffet a lot of choices for breakfast and we took our plates by the pool it was good not great but a buffet:)

Happy Cruising everyone!

Dee ~ we missed you at the Meet N Greet! We missed a lot of people. I think it was because they changed the time on us 2 days before sailing. I heard that several more people showed up at the original posted time an hour later. We got to the VIP party late so we only had a chance to speak with a few people. I wish I could have had more time to chat with you there. But, you left before I could get over to where you were sitting.

I didn't really notice if people didn't talk to me while we were in the elevator or around the ship. Usually if I was in the elevator it was because I was too tired to take the stairs and was half-asleep! :) I wish you had a better time. It stinks that your temp controls don't work. Did you ask anyone about it?

I also felt a bit closed in around the pool because it really was very crowded. I didn't seek other places because my kids wanted to stay in the pool and I had to keep my eye on them. Otherwise I probably would have tried to find some more open space.

As far as being snubbed by CC members on our roll call, I hope there wasn't anything that I said or did that made you feel that way. If so, I apologize. It certainly wasn't my intention. :o

Regarding the food, this is where things can be perceived so much differently. We felt the food wasn't salty enough. And, we always walked away full (more like waddled!).

The one thing that I like about Freestyle is the fact that you CAN get the same waiter every night. Simply ask to sit in that person's section. We loved Lea in Venetian, so we had planned to sit in her section again. But, we never made it back to Venetian.

I hope you're willing to give NCL another try at some point. But, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Other than the kid's pool is this the only pool on the ship? Most have at least two it seems. I imagine it would be a mess if it's the only one. :eek:

Other than the kid's pool is this the only pool on the ship? Most have at least two it seems. I imagine it would be a mess if it's the only one. :eek:

Yes, it is the only outdoor pool. There is an adult-only indoor pool in the spa. But, there's a fee to use it. We still had fun at the pool. It wasn't any more crowded than the community pools are back home. We had a hard time finding 4 lounge chairs, but no problem with regular chairs near the pool. And, to be honest, the area around the pool was crowded. The pool itself wasn't. I took DD (4yo) to the kids pool only one time. There were about 6 babies in there in diapers!! Not even li'l swimmers. Diapers! :eek: We left there quick, fast, and in a hurry!

Sorry to hear that Dee 13 had some bad experiences. I was on the Dawn the week before (6/9) and found the VIP party to be very friendly. I spoke with several officers and sat down and had conversations with three other couples. I do not eat at the Garden Cafe where in my opinion is not the place to judge the food. I found the food and service in the Venetian (mostly breakfast and lunch) to be good to excellent and dinners (mostly in specialty restaurants) to also be good to excellent as far as service and food with only one bad meal at Le Bistro. The fish was over cooked and dry. The staff and crew couldn't be more friendly and were there to please and accomodate you in every way. As an example, one breakfast in the Venetian I asked if they had any Herring which was not on the menu. Our waiter came back and apologized saying that there was no Herring on board. Believing that he may not have really checked, I stopped by the Garden Cafe and found no Herring.

I asked for the Herring and was told that he would check. He came back and said that he found none but if I would wait he would go down and check in the Venetian. He came back and reported that not only did the Venetian not have Herring, he also checked the storage room and was terrible sorry but for some unexplained reason, no Herring was brought on board. Could one not ask for a greater effort to satisfy a customer? By the way, this was my 5th

cruise on the Dawn, 7th cruise on NCL and my 45th cruise in my lifetime. Although my next cruise is booked on Oceana's Nautica in the Greek Islands, I will soon be booking another cruise on NCL

We were on the Dawn 6/16 and I guess the crowd must've been very different because I got a really friendly feel from the ship. Our group commented on how friendly people were. Most of the time we were holding the door to the elevator open in order to finish a conversation with someone getting off.

I know food is very subjective but we found the food to be really good - we dine out often and at good restaurants and the food on the Dawn definitely surprised us by being very comparable to that. Sides in Cagneys were salty now that you mention it but I guess we didn't pay much attention to it. As for the Garden Cafe, it's a buffet and I think with every buffet you have to be picky and find the stuff you like. We definitely left every dinner feeling full - waddled is right!!

The pool does get crowded on sea days and it would be nice to have another pool on board but oh well. Early morning and later in the afternoons was so peaceful up there. Also, deck 7 has the lounge chairs and I don't think anyone goes down there so they're the perfect quiet spot.

We are looking forward to our first cruise on the Dawn in August.

We have recently been on 3 other NCL sailings and love freestyle dining. Our other cruises were years ago ( before the kids) on CCL, RCCL and Cunard. There was always problem with finding seats near the pool on our past cruises. I do not see this as an issue exclusive to NCL.

There has never been a cruise that I did not enjoy.

Archived