anyone know about the fire situation?

travelcrazy006

i hear that there are forest fires on the kenai penisula with many houses destroyed and evacuations. i will be in seward in one week, do i need to be concerned? are they restricting visitors in and out?

thanks

The Caribou Hills fire is off the Sterling Highway going towards Homer not the Seward Highway going towards Seward.

This morning's paper stated 34 recreational cabins and 1 house burned. They are still fighting it.

The only thing at this point, if they don't have it out by then, would possibly be the smell of smoke. We had it here in town Friday when the winds drifted this way.

It is raining here in town today and I think they we're hoping that the Peninsula as well as the interior would be getting some today.

Interesting to find out the Caribou Hills fire was man started (someone was sharpening a shovel and a spark set off the dry stuff around him) and the Big Su fire in the Interior was lightning struck.

Unfortunately with the dry spring we had, we're one big tinder box.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Jun 24, 5:43 PM EDT

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- With dozens of homes and cabins already destroyed by wildfire, crews worked Sunday to protect hundreds of others tucked in the hills of the scenic Kenai Peninsula.

from

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/W/WILDFIRES?SITE=WSPATV&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-06-24-17-43-26

apparently, the fire started Tuesday in a subdivision in Ninilchik, a Cook Inlet community about a 180-mile drive southwest of Anchorage and 40 miles north of the seaside port of Homer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070624/us_nm/fire_alaska_dc_1;_ylt=AvhwItgt20tyhh9fXoTYmy0ro0wB

We're staying in Kenai (Sterling) and fishing out of Ninilchik on 7/16 so we're watching this story closely. Hopefully, rain and firefighting techniques will squelch it soon!

Is the fire affecting area's around Seward or Anchorage or Katmai National Park? Is the fire undercontrol/out? I have not heard anything on the news about it.

55,000 acres 66% contained as of 10pm on 6/28/07, northeastern side uncontained in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. Firefighters continue to work on the area of concern south of Deep Creek, which is the closest portion of the fire to Ninilchik. The fireline and a contingency line have been completed, and crews continue to extinguish hot spots within 200 feet of the line. Residents of the peninsula should expect to continue to see interior smoke as the warm weather and predicted winds cause fire activity to increase.

you can call Fire Information @ 1-907-714-2484

Archived