questions about handicapped rooms on Dawn

nant4me

I would appreciate any input that can be provided regarding the handicapped accessible rooms and public areas on the Dawn. My sister-in-law and her huband are considering cruising with us next August and they have a 13 year old daughter with cerebral palsy who can only navigate around by a motorized wheelchair. She needs to be fed by tube feeding.They would like to travel with us and I want to be able to help them make a decision that will work for them.It will be really hard for them if I forget some major piece of information that will make it hard to care for her for a week. I cruised on the Dawn a few years ago and remember the public areas as being quite large but didn't really look at how hard it would be to get a motorized wheelchair down the hallways and ramps. etc. Is it doable? Also what are the rooms like for them? What types of rooms are accesible, suites, outside cabins, etc. They need extra storage room as they have all her meds, tube feeding supplies etc, to store. Thank you everyone for your help in advance! We are thinking of Bermuda as I think that will be the easist for her to get aropund by bus and ferry.I have already checked out the disabled traveling board but would like more input from those traveling just on NCL.

I was in a handicap minisuite on the Dawn last year, so I'll tell you what I remember....The room was large enough for a wheel chair to get around, and there was a ramp for balcolny access. There were 2 sliding doors to the balcolny , probably to accomodate a W/C. I did feel as though there were many more shelves to store things on. The bathroom is has a shower not a tub like other mini suites, and this to is W/C acessible. We also noticed a "call bell" system, for emergencies I guess.

That's all I can think of. Hope it is of some help

Donna

Thank you! That does help as I think they want a suite. They need to feed and suction her in the evening and wanted a balcony as they won't be able see the sunsets from the main decks at night. That helps to know that she can be wheeled onto the balcony herself!

If you got a minisuite they are very spacious and good on this ship, double length balcony good size room and bathroom. There is a ramp up/down to get to the balcony, over the lip of the door. A little steep. Also the location is excellent close to the elevator.

In the theatre, it's really easy. You just wheel up the aisle and they can watch remaining in their seat behind the first row of seats they come across on right side. Good viewing spot. You'd probably have to show up early to sit together there, but no crisis if you showed up late, just the others would sit seperately.

The Dawn is very accessable and I was in a HC Room on Deck 10, near the elevators otherwise they can be tight when they have the cleaning carts. You might want togo with a suite for the enlarged room size. From what I have read Bermuda is not the best place to go in a wheelchair (thats why I have avoided it) Between tendering and the traffic.

Goof Luck

thanks everyone! I have been reading about Bermuda and I know it's not the best place for wheelchair accessibility. But that is where they really want to go and their daughter actually is able to be put into a larger stroller type of chair and can be carried into a taxi, etc, so I hope we can make it work. They would leave the motorized chair on the boat and try and make do with the stroller. Thanks again for your help!

We just came back from the Dawn on Saturday. I saw at least 3 wheelchairs on the cruise and all passengers appeared to be very happy. Regarding Bermuda, no problem. Ramps off the ship and the ferries to Hamilton and St. George's have ramps on them, as well. We saw several peopel wheeling their scooters off/on the ferries with no problem. The streets in Bermuda are narrow, but not the sidewalks. She'll LOVE it!!! With each wheelchair that I saw, there were AT LEAST 2 crew members assisting each one. They will treat her like a queen. I encourage you to go for it!!!

I did get a quick glimpse of one handicapped stateroom on deck 11. I don't remember which one it was, but it was near the elevators. It appeared to be VERY spacious. So, there shouldn't be any problems at all.

Happy Sailing!! :D

Thank you so much for the photos! That is exactly whatI was hoping for. I emailed them to my sister-in-law and it will really help her to make an informed decision. The cruise lines pictures don't really give you a good feel for the space in the room. I love this board, you all are so great! Happy cruising to all!

My dad and sister were in an obstructed view handicapped cabin on the Dawn last November (on Deck 8 as I recall). He is in a wheelchair (we didn't bring the motorized one because he preferred to push himself around) and the cabin was around 50% larger than our balcony cabin; plenty of room for the chair to get around. It had level access to allow the chair to just roll in, a roll in bathroom and shower, so he could shower in the chair if he wanted, and a refrigerator for his medication.

Be sure to book ASAP. There are very few HC cabins. I usually have to book accessible cabins a year in advance to be able to get one for my disabled mom.

Wanted to take my mom to Alaka this year but couldnt . Checked several ships and dates but couldnt get a HC cabin as they were sold out.

Book early.

Archived