Packing for Children (2.5, 5, 11)

Schnitztx

I'm new to the entire site and this is my first post ever on any board...so, this is probably some where very obvious....but, what do I bring for a cruise with my children? My husband and I have cruised previously but, this is a first time with the family. Ages are 2.5, 5 and 11 (boy, girl, girl)

We're going August 20th Carnival Ecstacy.

I'm nervous that I'll forget something extremely important... I usually do.

Also, if you have any ideas on excursions for cozumel/progresso for children that would be great. I don't think we want to go on a long bus ride or anything...doubt there will be child seats and I know he won't sit still for more than three minutes ha!

Any help would be appreciated.

THANK YOU!

--Debi

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You may want to read through some of the things on the Cozumel board under the "Ports of Call" category. In the past a lot of people with youngsters seemed to use Cozumel as a beach day. I've read a lot of good feedback on Paradise Beach for kids.

As to the packing question I guess I would suggest lots of comfortable and simple play clothes for the days, bathing suits, sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, a favorite "comfort" toy for each, and some neat dressier items for the evenings if you plan to use the dining rooms.

I think cruising with kids is a perfect vacation because the cabin is always nearby when someone needs a break. Have a great time!

Cheryl

Welcome!

When DD was 2-3ish, I brought her life vest. Even if she was just paddling around at the edge of the water, it made me feel much more comfortable. Other than that, a couple of swimsuits for everyone - they take a long time to dry in the bathroom.

When we were in Progresso, we took a cab to Dzibultchuan (sp?). It was close by, and relatively small. We hired a guide, and requested he keep it to the "high" points so as to not lose DS (then 6). He loved it. DD (then 2) just liked having a wide open space to exlpore. Then is a chenote there you can swim in, but one end is very deep. We skipped it.

When we got back to town, we asked the cab driver for his recommendation of someplace for lunch. He dropped us at a restaurant on the beach which was perfect - not 10 feet from our outdoor table was a wood playset in the sand. DH and I were able to enjoy a lesiurely lunch while the kids played.

We've been to Cozumel twice. The first time, we just went to Paradise Beach. The second time, I took the kids on the Atlantis submarine and then we went to Paradise Beach. The sub was cool - but I'm not sure how much they got out of it. They enjoyed it at the time.

I also bring the clear plastic over-the-door shoe holder to contain all of our "stuff" that would otherwise be cluttering up the desk....

Have fun, and enjoy your cruise!

Most are obvious on what to pack...some not so obvious. Like ALWAYS pack a pair of long pants and a sweatshirt, long sleeve shirt or a sweater. Although you are cruising in the hot carribean, the air conditioner is often cranked in the dining room. And it gets cold for the smaller ones.

Make sure you bring a good pair of walking shoes for each child, no new shoes that haven't been tested at home. ;)

We always pack at least 2-3 pairs of underwear/day per child because of the many showers/changes throughout the day.

We went to Playa Mia in Cozumel. It was nice enough. They had a pool too so when the kids got tired of the beach we went to the pool. But it was a LONG day. The trip was short but the excursion was 6 hours on the beach. I don't think I would do that again.

Plenty of sunscreen and hats. And if they don't work, some aloe (or your fav sun burn remedy).

With the girls - look for "skorts", they can look dressed up when need be but still be quite comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Debi,

I'll be watching this thread closely. This will be our 2nd cruise with our older two (now 13 and 14) and our first with the baby (2.3) I'm an overpacker, so I won't be any help. I think we took 12 bags for the four of us last time...I'm afraid of how many I'll think I'll need this time....

Archived