Pride of Aloha review--part 2 (6/17-24/07

junebug8

Again, let me start out by saying that this was an awesome cruise!!

Embarkation-after taking the car back to the airport, we took a shuttle to the pier. Arrived about 2pm. When youngest DS (age 11), saw the ship, he was in shock--he had no idea it would be that big! We breezed right in and were putting our stuff in our room within 15-20 minutes of being dropped off at the pier. We headed up to the pool deck and lounged around. There was some food being served in the cafe and a bbq was planned for later about 6pm. We had the bbq on the deck for dinner and afterwards explored the ship some more and called it a night by 10pm.

Monday-Kauai--I had booked Zip-n-Dip with Princeville Ranch which is on the north shore of the island. After collecting our car from Thrifty, we headed off. We got there in about 45 minutes and were about an hour early so we drove around the area. Kauai is so beautiful and green. After checking in at our time, we were given instructions on how to put on the body harness and off we went. Let me start out by saying that I am absolutely terrified of heights.:eek: But I knew that this was something that my boys wanted to do so off I went. The first zip was great (a very small one). At the 2nd one, I totally froze. I had to get off the deck and try to (a) stop crying and (b) tell myself I could do this. My DS's and DH had already zipped over so there were about 4 of us with me. Well, I did it...it never got easy for me to step off that platform but within 1-2 seconds of leaving it, I loved it! I was able to look all around and it was beautiful. There is also a suspension bridge which I didn't like at all-but we were hooked on. After zipping 7 different lines, we stopped for lunch at a small waterfall area and swam. Then we zipped one more time. I chose Princeville becaues they had a total of 8 zips--most places only had 4 or less. The guides were great encouraging me. I'm still afraid of heights but I totally loved this. The boys said this was one of their favorite things.

Tuesay-Kauai--DH and oldest son were booked with Blue Hawaiian for a helicopter ride. Youngest DS and I took a free shuttle over to the beach area and swam for about an hour then headed back to the ship and pool. DH and DS loved the helicopter ride. They bought the video also.

Wed--Hilo-Drove up to VNP. Chain of Craters rode was closed. :( We drove as far as you could to see the volanco and then left. We stopped at Walmart on the way back for some needed supplies. If I had this day to do over again, I would have skipped VNP and headed down to Black Sand Beach.

Thursday-Kona--booked Captain Zodiac with the ship. This was awesome. When I first saw the boat, I thought--I'm sitting on the side of this thing??:eek: But the snorkeling was awesome. The water was so clear, which just amazed me. The boys and DH loved this and consider this highlight #2 of the trip. After snorkeling, we went over to Bubba Gump's for lunch. We should have only ordered 3 meals and split--way too much food and not worth the hype. As oldest DS said, Red Lobster would have been just as good. After that, walked around Kona a bit--stopped in the Catholic church, bought some shave ice and oldest DS wanted some coffee.

Friday--Maui--headed off to Kaanapali Beach for the day. Oldest and youngest DS's rode a banana boat through UFO parasai (booked at the beach--they have a small umbrella set up). They loved it. Afterwards, we found a shower area and changed at Whaler's Village as we were going to the Royal Lahaina Luau on Kaanapali Beach. The show was great, the food/so-so. I'm glad we did one, especially at this price ($49 p/p, youngest DS was free). It was the five of us and 700 of our closest friends.:p Got back to port about 10:30 and DH found a parking space about 2 blocks away. This was my biggest fear and it wasn't that bad.

Saturday--Maui--booked a snorkel trip with Trilogy to Molokini. Water was very choppy heading out--weren't sure we would make Mokini but we did. Again, snorkeling was fantastic. Then we headed over to another snorkeling place to see turtles. Alot of turtles were there. Middle DS snorkeled here, not at Molokini and loved it. Great lunch (bbq teriyaki chicken, rice, salad) along with breakfast served by crew. Way back was waaaay choppy--you got soaked if you sat in the front. Afterwards, we headed back to the ship after a quick stop at KMart for some tshirts just to wear as they boys had run out of clothes.

Sunday--Got off ship about 9:00--no problems at all. As our flight didn't leave until 10:45pm, I had pre-booked a room at Waikiki Sand Villa. The room wasn't ready but they have a hospitality room that we stored our luggage in. They also have free internet so I was able to print off our boarding passes. Our room was ready by noon (we had walked around a bit) so went swimming then out to lunch at Cheesecake Factory. Headed out to airport (taxi--$30) and got home about 8:30 today (after picking up the dogs).

Ship overview--

Restaurants--we ate every meal at Crossings (except for one breakfast in the cafe). Food was excellent with a lot of variety. Oldest DS will be attending school to study culinary this fall so he appreciated the different types of foods he could choose from. We had an excellent waiter that first night (Maria Spencer) and requested her every night. We made reservations for 6pm each day before leaving the ship and sat down right away with Maria as our waiter. Alot of people were waiting each night as we left. I'm so glad we made the reservations.

Entertainment--in one word, super! The comedians and magician were very good, the Liar's Club show was hilarious, and ladies, you must go see "ship-n-males" (a version of Chippendales with the men of Pride of Aloha). I have never been to a chippendales show but the only thing I had a "problem" with was that some of the guys looked young enough to be my 18-year old son. (that was all I could think of---that DS would get a job on NCL as a chef and the 2nd part of his job is dancing in the ship-n-males show!:eek: But it was quite fun. The entertainment crew--Fifth, Silas, and Jeena, make this a great fun entertaining trip.

Overall, we would definately do this cruise again. Now that I have seen Hawaii, I would know what I would do different and see next time. It is so much fun and wonderful and I can't believe it is over!

Glad to hear you had a great time! I wonder if the reservations for the dining rooms is new -- we weren't able to make reservations because we weren't a party of six or more.

Your VNP impression sounds like mine. I was glad I went -- being on top of a volcano and all, but I was underwhelmed by it. Maybe when I go back on a land trip to the Big Island, I'll spend a little more time there and appreciate it more -- I know Beachchick raves about it.

Where did you find parking at the pier in Maui? That was my biggest stress on that trip!

I'm glad you had nice time on Aloha. We'll be going in August and with all the bad review I was worried but you and your family seem to have good time.

Some questions:

1. Overall the service and ship condition was okay?

2. So there's BBQ night the first night on the ship?

3. Did the ship pass by the volcano? If it did, were you able to see anything exciting?

4. I have 19 year old and 13 year old sons who are worried they'll be bored while they are on the ship. How did your boys keep themselves entertained while you guys were on the ship?

Would love to hear more details of your trip.

Thank you.

I'll try to answer some questions...

Alikim--1. The ship and condition of it were great--never saw any problems.

2. Yes, the bbq was the first night right after the muster drill. They keep reminding you of it. They had a ton of food-chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, steak along with different salads/fruits.

3. Ah, the volcano...:( Couldn't see but a speck of it b/c there have been small earthquakes underneath and it has caved in the area. (I believe that is how the ship explained it as we sailed by). The volcano is the talk of the island, no matter where you go that day.

4. My 18-year old son talked to quite a few people on the ship--in fact, he met a girl from Phoenix that is dating a friend of his. small world. My 14-year old went to the Teen Club and had a great time. They have alot of activities for the teens. My 11-year old went once to the Kids Club and didn't enjoy it but regrets he didn't go back for some of the other activities.

Also, go up to Deck 7 and check out each restaurants menu for the night. You can make your reservations there (or in your room I think but we went up to deck 7 each day). We just stuck with Crossings as we had a great waiter (Maria). Crossings and Palace seemed to swith menus so we just stuck the one. Super meals each day. :)

PDAZ--we only had 5 in our party and were able to make reservations for Crossings (and any restaurant) each night. DH found parking about 2 blocks away on a side street. He said there were actually plenty of spots left and we didn't get back to the ship until 10:30pm.

Michael--I truly have nothing to complain about! The cruise and crew were fantastic. When we first got to our cabin (we had adjoining rooms with the boys), we realized that there was no way that 3 of them could sleep in that small room. I guess that NCL was supposed to move us but didn't advise anyone of this...so our room attendant gave my youngest DS a cot to sleep on. He said it was softer than our regular bed. We just folded it up each AM. Truthfully, your'e not in the room all that much except to sleep and change so it didn't matter. All in all, I would go back on this cruise tomorrow if I could!:D

Junebug8 , thanks for your review. We have sailed 3 or 4 different lines never NCL the Pride of Aloha 12-12-07 will be our first and we are excited about our trip. Both of our fathers were in Hawaii during WWII and never got to go back. My father-in-law thought it was the most beautiful place on earth. We are pretty excited. However, after reading so many negative reviews I told my husband that we best pretend we're taking the Motel 6 with us:) You have given me hope. Denise

Junebug8 , thanks for your review. We have sailed 3 or 4 different lines never NCL the Pride of Aloha 12-12-07 will be our first and we are excited about our trip. Both of our fathers were in Hawaii during WWII and never got to go back. My father-in-law thought it was the most beautiful place on earth. We are pretty excited. However, after reading so many negative reviews I told my husband that we best pretend we're taking the Motel 6 with us:) You have given me hope. Denise

Thank you answering all my questions. So your 14-year liked the Teen Club? I thought of sending my 13-year old there but we are on excursion almost everyday so I wasn't sure if it was worth paying for the extra.

Since there are 5 of use, I guess we won't have any problem with reservations.

You mentioned 3 boys in one room was too crowded? Is it bunkbed?

We are 3 in one of our room too. I was wondering how the bed was arranged?

Thank you.

I'll try to answer some questions...

4. My 18-year old son talked to quite a few people on the ship--in fact, he met a girl from Phoenix that is dating a friend of his. small world. My 14-year old went to the Teen Club and had a great time. They have alot of activities for the teens. My 11-year old went once to the Kids Club and didn't enjoy it but regrets he didn't go back for some of the other activities.

Also, go up to Deck 7 and check out each restaurants menu for the night. You can make your reservations there (or in your room I think but we went up to deck 7 each day). We just stuck with Crossings as we had a great waiter (Maria). Crossings and Palace seemed to swith menus so we just stuck the one. Super meals each day. :)

Michael--I truly have nothing to complain about! The cruise and crew were fantastic. When we first got to our cabin (we had adjoining rooms with the boys), we realized that there was no way that 3 of them could sleep in that small room. I guess that NCL was supposed to move us but didn't advise anyone of this...so our room attendant gave my youngest DS a cot to sleep on. He said it was softer than our regular bed. We just folded it up each AM. Truthfully, your'e not in the room all that much except to sleep and change so it didn't matter. All in all, I would go back on this cruise tomorrow if I could!:D

somre more answers...:)

slightlysilly--Whaler's Village was directly behind us on the beach. The public showers there weren't working that afternoon so we walked down to the left to a hotel and used theres. No one said anything to us. We just basically rinsed off. Then we walked back to Whaler's and changed in a bathroom there.

alikim--I saw that some rooms had bunkbeds but ours didn't. Maybe that is the type of room NCL was going to move us to-a bunk bed with a twin then. I would check with them. As for the 3 in a room, it wasn't bad for them b/c the cot folded up. We also took the coffee table out of their room, which folded up and put it under their bed. This made more room for them. They had two twin beds plus the cot. When the cot was down, it was tight but that was only at night for sleeping. Honestly, your'e not in the room all that much. hope this helps!

Avidgolfer--Thrify has a shuttle right at the pier that will take you to your car. Some of them even had our reservations on listed on a paper. I do know that at some of the ports some people that didn't have reservations tried to get on the van and get a car but the driver told them they were sold out for the day.

Bama--didn't notice any problems with noise room. Of course, we had a connecting room with our three sons, so we heard them of course.:)

Alikim--there is no charge for your teen to be in the Teen Club. It is all included. They had quite a blast. The Teen Club is open till 1am; the 9-12 years old are open to 10 or 10:30; then you can pay an extra $5 for them to stay until 1am if you want. The Teens (13-17) are kept busy with different games/parties etc.

Archived