Formalwear, Christmas, Mexico

We're on to the Mexican Riveria for the Christmas/New Year holidays. My 11 year old daughter and I have been thinking about what to do for formalwear. I would assume that Christmas Day would be a formal night. Do you think we should stick with Christmas colors? I don't think velvet on the dress would be quite right. And then I figure anything goes for New Years - probably the more sparkly, the better. What have you seen that stuck you as "perfect"? Thanks.

Wouldn't need to stick with "Xmas colors". And I wouldn't wear a velvet dress only because of the weather in Mexico. But that is just me. I probably wouldn't wear anything much different over a holiday cruise than I would for any other formal night. Formal is formal. It's just what YOU feel great in. Have a wonderful time! And...Merry Xmas!!

You'll get lots of ideas here.

I would go with something metallic, such as glittery platinum, copper, or silver rather than the traditional Christmas colors. You might also consider something in Winter White, but I think velvet would be too hot for that climate.

Have a great time!

We were on a cruise over the Christmas Holidays several years ago,

Christmas Day I do believe it was formal and I remember a lot of red dresses. On NYE I remember a lot of sparkles, black, silver, gold and I wore a deep purple spag. strap dress. It was beautiful and got many compliments on it. It was not too hot as the ship has AC and actually I carried a wrap with me becasue I got chilled every night in the dining room.

Christmas Day was a sea day and it was so weird feeling laying out in the sun on X-mas day but it was nice. Everything was so festive and you will have a wondeful time.

We were on a Christmas cruise this past year, it was wonderful to see that everyone was really dressed up for formal nights. Even the casual nights, there was more festivity in the dining room than on other cruises I've been on. I took what I consider to be semi-formal and did not feel out of place on casual nights.

Velvet is (to me) a holiday fabric, so if you want to wear it, go ahead. The weather in Mexico should have nothing to do with it, you will be inside, at sea and it will be evening when you wear your formal clothes. I read here all the time how ladies are freezing in the dining rooms, many take wraps.

You don't have to worry about the weather unless you expect to be outside in your formal wear. If you are going to be dressing for dinner, going to the dining room and then going to a show, you will more than likely be indoors the entire time and people tell you all the time on these boards that the public rooms are quite cool at night.

We did the Caribbean at Christmas and the little ones looked lovely in velvet.

Check out our pictures if you like.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. When I saw all of the decorations it eased my mind. Anything will be O.K., but if I am shopping, perhaps something not as heavy as velvet. Great idea to bring the Santa hats. I never would have thought to do that - I appreciate your help.

Marchmonkey -- Which ship will you be on for Christmas/New Years? We are also cruising this holiday, and if you're on the same cruise, I'll send you the link to our roll call. Oh heck, I'll just tell you! We're on Carnival Spirit -- Dec 24 - Jan 1. If you're on the same cruise, here is the roll call -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=545510

Archived