Where to Buy Beer in Vancouver

We will be staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre pre-cruise. Is there a place nearby where we will be able to buy beer.

I wish I had asked this question before our cruise earlier this month. Get ready for a little sticker shock. I can usually get a 18-pack for about $12 at Kroger. I bought a 15-pack of Coors Light near the Marriott Pinnacle. It was $24 and some change. I should've looked for the "Cold Beer and Wine" stores mentioned by LeftcoastBC:)

I don't know about prices in BC, but a two four is about CAD$20 here for the discount beer brands.

Ah but Quebec has been liberated since way way back. Oh for the days at the IP in Hull.. a paper plate,piece of cheese and two potato chips on a Sunday...... & I almost forgot the slice of pickle :D

I don't think there is such a thing as discount beer in BC. .... and our wine is expensive too.

Ah but Quebec has been liberated since way way back. Oh for the days at the IP in Hull.. a paper plate,piece of cheese and two potato chips on a Sunday...... & I almost forgot the slice of pickle :D

I don't think there is such a thing as discount beer in BC. .... and our wine is expensive too.

You don't have off-brand beer? Wow, learn something new every day. All the big supermarkets have their own brand around here.

Wine in Quebec is divided in two. Depanneur (corner store) wine and liquor commission wine. By law, wine sold at the depanneur can not identify the grape, it's all "vin de cepage" or mixed wine. Cheapest wine we see around here is about CAD$9 for 750ml. I checked both government sites for the Mouton Cadet bordeaux 2005 and found BC to be $12.98 while Quebec is $13.95. In Ontario it's $13.00 even.

While searching I also found a bottle of Château Mouton Rothschild paui llac premier grand cru classé 1945 for just $12,000 on the SAQ's website. Want to buy me a bottle?

You don't have off-brand beer? Wow, learn something new every day. All the big supermarkets have their own brand around here.

Wine in Quebec is divided in two. Depanneur (corner store) wine and liquor commission wine. By law, wine sold at the depanneur can not identify the grape, it's all "vin de cepage" or mixed wine. Cheapest wine we see around here is about CAD$9 for 750ml. I checked both government sites for the Mouton Cadet bordeaux 2005 and found BC to be $12.98 while Quebec is $13.95. In Ontario it's $13.00 even.

While searching I also found a bottle of Château Mouton Rothschild paui llac premier grand cru classé 1945 for just $12,000 on the SAQ's website. Want to buy me a bottle?

We are still stuck in the past.

A case of beer here is generally considered 12 bottles. REcently they have come out with 15 or 18.

As you know a real case contains 24 right? and you can't get Molson Ex at all.

EG: 25 Molson Canadian cans $37.90

24 BLUE 37.55

There is a beer called Pacific Western at $29.95 I guess that's cheap beer here.

In Washington State just across the line 24 of Miller whatever's are around

$11 bucks US

A 750 mil Australian Yellowtail Shiraz is $8.00 US here $12.99

All sales here are either a Gov't Store, Beer and Wine where the price is always 1=2$ more than Gov't store or the odd pub stuck out of the way in the boonies where they don't rate any kind of store and allow off sales.

Wine now has come out of the closet a bit and other than the Liquor Stores and Beer and Wine stores there are a few "Special" stores around that only carry wine and mostly higher end. There are also "VQA" stores in such places as Granville Island that sell only the so called best of BC Wines. Mostly to tourists.

I found a Bordeau-Paullac 5 litre Chateau Mouton Rothschild 2000 - for $6500 in the latest issue of BC Liquor stores Product guide which I have in my hand right now.

Will that do?

I can't write the punch line on here, but look up the joke on the Internet... "What does American beer and making lover in a canoe have in common?" You will find the answer pretty easily on the net.

In Quebec a case is 24. In the Atlantic provinces it's 12, so they call what we call a case a two-four (as in 24.)

I'm not really a beer drinker, but in Montreal you can get bottles or cans. 24 bottles of Blue are $22.34 plus tax at IGA (aka Sobey's) on sale this week. Coors and Bud are on sale for $20.39. Regular Blue is $30.69 and $29.99 for Black. Labatt's own off-brand is Wildcat at $28.99. Cans are $30.69 for 24 and $19.69 for a 12 pack. Wildcat in the 950ml can (people actually drink them, I've seen it!) are $4.59

Oh and that weird BC stuff... Kokanee is $10.49 for 6 bottles and $18.49 for 12 bottles. If you want to check out IGA, their prices are here. Every supermarket (yes, there is a President's choice beer in Quebec) has their own brand as well, but only IGA seems to have an online ordering system.

Archived