opportunities for learning while cruising

OnTheBrink

We'll be doing 10 days on Princess in the Caribbean this coming March. My daughter will be nearly 7. I'd like to come up with some ideas to help make this a learning experience for her. She attends a Montessori school and is quite used to learning in non-traditional ways.

Does anyone have suggestions of things we can do in advance? Great books? Videos? anything?

What about while we are sailing or in port? Maybe a cool scavenger hunt? Something else?

I'd like her to learn about history, geography, culture, economics, anything! And something that is really important to us is social justice issues, so anything along those lines would be great as well.

Thanks!

I would suggest taking her to local elementary schools on the islands you're visiting (call or email them in advance to request permission to visit). She'll get a real feel for how other children in other countries do things. DH and I saw a one-room, very run-down school house when in St. Maarten years ago and we commented to each other about how our son would learn so much if we took him to visit there.

Good point! We'll be at:

(Ft. Lauderdale)

Bahamas (Princess Cay)

St. Thomas

St. Kitts

Barbados

St. Lucia

Antigua

You could have her trace the linguistics (basic) of each island.......it would take into consideration social justice, economics, history, geography and culture on each of the islands you are visiting.

ie- Why do they have the accents they do? Creole, British etc. Leads into: How were they colonized? How did their economy grow......and also lot's of social justice issues.

Have fun!

One thing we did with our daughter at that age was collect sand and seashells from every port. When we got home we used a magnifying glass and microscope and looked for differences. (she still collects sand from all of our trips, at 12 yrs, and we still dissect it together). If she's a mathematical whiz you could always start geocaching with her. -Travelbugs

Never been to the Carribean so can't help with anything specific - but we've travelled with DD (now nearly 12YO) and we always do daily "scavenger" hunts (when she was too small to read, I'd draw pictures). Every day we have a new list of things to look for -- Some of the stuff is mundane (and orange floral backpack), other specific to the port (in Venice, we had a statue of a winged lion and a gondilier's hat for example), while others are a stretch (a Washington Nationals baseball cap). Keeps us all looking - at the sights, at people, at the countryside.

Archived