Eastern or Western Carib for Kids?

Kerry's Girls

I remember there was a discussion about this at one point, but my search feature is stalling. Cruisinmama or anyone else - which is it that you prefer? I'm looking at a Princess cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale in January and they offer both. I have twins who will have just turned 3, so I'm looking for ports where there will be something fun for them to do - even just a great kids pool.

I'd have to fly in the night before. Any hotel suggestions?

Any comment on the weather in January? We've just already done 3 of our local Mexican Riviera cruises, so I thought I'd try something different.

Thanks everyone.

Best,

Mia

How old are the kids? We had a heck of a time finding excursions for my 7 and 2.5 year olds on the Western. It's been a few years since I did Eastern, but I don't remember having that problem when my daughter was younger.

Oh, and we sailed in late January once - it was great. The weather in Orlando was mid-60s, but once we got south for FL, it was 80s and perfect! Just a bummer to come home to a blizzard. I would definitely recommend planning to fly in the night before, just in case of inclement weather during that time of year. Have no recommendations for hotels for you, sorry. I only stayed in Orlando and Miami before.

EASTERN - no doubt! We have better luck finding excursions geared toward younger children on the Eastern routes than the Western. On the Western we had the worst time finding some.

One of my carib magazines describe the Eastern Carib as "more developed ports" and Western as "More adventurous ports"...and that's it exactly. There are so many "adventure" tours on the western that they all have minimum age restrictions.

So what ports exactly are on your Eastern itinerary and I can give you the kid friendly things to do?

And sorry but I've never cruised out of Fort Lauderdale so I don't know if any hotels there.

Thanks so much! This itinerary stops at St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Princess Cays. Since I'm outnumbered by toddlers (the twins will have just turned 3), I look for places that are fairly stroller friendly (no long hikes in the sand!).

I appreciate any ideas and tips you have.

Best,

Mia

St. Thomas Coral World - no doubt

St.Martin - we have done both Orient Beach (beautiful beach but snobby locals) and we have done the Under Two Flags Tour. Don't think the twins would be entertained by the flags tour...but it's a nice way to see the island on an air conditioned bus. We only had ONE child at the time we did that....she was 2 at the time.

Thank you! I just looked up Coral World and it looks perfect! I love that there's a place to watch non-captive animals.

I think the last time I was on Orient Beach, my husband and I went to the clothing optional part - clearly that was a looooong time ago, before the sight of me in a bathing suit would frighten small children!

Has anyone been to the children's area of Princess Cays? Are there swimming pools? If so, are the infamous swim diapers allowed?

Best,

Mia

We ended up diverted to St. Martin on a cruise, so I'd done NO research. We ended up going to Orient Beach. It was really nice - but just a word of caution. The day we were there, there was a lot of wave action (knock a toddler off their feet waves.) Now, the water is so clear, you'd find them right away, but I needed two hands on my (then) 2.5 year old to keep her upright. Of course, she has no fear and would charge right in! That may have been unusual conditions...maybe others who have been there can help more.

I went to the St. Maarten zoo http://sxmzoo.networkidl.net/ did have food thrown at me by a monkey though. :p

No pool on Princess Cay but they do have a kids ares.

As far as hotels some people have used: Ft. Lauderdale Embassy Suites, Hilton (free Shuttle to airport & shuttle to pier for $7), Holiday Inn Express on Rt. 84. (The shuttles to the hotel and cruise ship were fast and free.)

I'm sure there are other hotels. I live in the area so I don't use them usually, but I was helping a friend plan a group cruise and had done some research. You might want to verify that my information is up to date.

Archived