Independent Shore Excursion Recommendations?

cruisergrandma

We have been to Grand Cayman a couple of times but, have always booked our shore excursions through the cruise line. We are cruising with a group in January and would love to book independently. We want to do the island tour that stops in Hell, visits the turtle farm and goes to stingray city. Any recommendations for independent tour guides or companies?

Here's Captain Marvin's website...

http://www.captainmarvins.com

We booked all of our tours for GC on our own. Our first visit was while we were on a cruise ship, and we loved it so much, that now we only do land vacations there. GC is one of only a few islands that you can rent a car and explore and feel safe about doing that. Ruth and Joan, at Captain Marvin's also helped us locate a condo (for our first stay there). They are just really nice people. :)

Have a great time!

I looked at Marvin's website and I am ready to go now! Which tour allows some beach time as well? Any experience there? I want to snorkle, but MUSt get onto one of those beaches . Help?

Try and do the morning snorkel...the shorter one...and then have them drop you at the beach. You turn off (to get to their dock) just past the Courtyard Marriott...so you could have them drop you at Sea Grape, which is right in that area, or have them drop you at Royal Palms. Both SG and RP has food, restrooms, chair rentals and water toy rentals. Then just grab a cab back to the port area. If you go to SG, just allow a bit of extra time to get back...traffic tends to snag up around the Ritz.

If they tell you the morning one won't work (we wanted to do this, but Joan told us we'd not be able to be off the ship and be there in time...and she was right), take a cab to one of these places I mentioned, and enjoy the morning there, and ask CM's if they'll pick you up there for the later snorkel tour. I know in the past, we've stopped and picked people up at different locations for the snorkel tour.

Or you could have the driver at CM's drop you at any hotel. You can eat at the restaurants, and the beaches are all public, you just won't be able to use their chairs. Some of the hotels at one time offered a day pass for cruisers, but with so many ships in port these days, I think most have stopped doing this.

The only place I'd avoid is the Beach Club Colony. I've not heard a single good things about that place.

Here's Royal Palms website...

http://www.reefgrill.com/pages/cruiseinformation.html

Two years ago we booked with Dexter Eubanks and had a great time. http://www.dexters-fantaseatours.com/ He was waiting for us at the pier and drove us to his boat in a nice minivan. There was my family of 4 and another family of 3. He has a big catamaran and was very friendly. Nice guy who's been around a long time. Knew the area.

I knew I did the right thing when I saw a big motor boat from one of the ship's recommended excursions show up. Full of people, hard to find a spot. We had much room to move around.

Two years ago we booked with Dexter Eubanks and had a great time. http://www.dexters-fantaseatours.com/ He was waiting for us at the pier and drove us to his boat in a nice minivan. There was my family of 4 and another family of 3. He has a big catamaran and was very friendly. Nice guy who's been around a long time. Knew the area.

I knew I did the right thing when I saw a big motor boat from one of the ship's recommended excursions show up. Full of people, hard to find a spot. We had much room to move around.

Hi,

I've written to Captain Dexter twice now saying that we wanted to book, but haven't had a reply. I was wondering if this is normal (I wrote about a week ago)?

Hi' date='

I've written to Captain Dexter twice now saying that we wanted to book, but haven't had a reply. I was wondering if this is normal (I wrote about a week ago)?[/quote']

Did you ever here from Capt Dexter???

I sent two email requests and have received no reply.

We are looking at booking a morning snorkeling tour with captain Marvin. Our scheduled time at GC is 7a - 4p. The tour requires check in by 8am. Is this enough time for tender off the ship and transportation to Captain Marvin's? Later tours are available, but we prefer the early tour.

Thanks

We are looking at booking a morning snorkeling tour with captain Marvin. Our scheduled time at GC is 7a - 4p. The tour requires check in by 8am. Is this enough time for tender off the ship and transportation to Captain Marvin's? Later tours are available, but we prefer the early tour.

Thanks

Email Captain Marvin's and Ruth or Joan will be able to give you that information. They know what ships will be on what time (island vs. ship time), and will tell you what tour will work for you.

Captain Marvin's is a very short walk from the port area (toward 7MB). I have arthritis in my knee and I had no problems walking there. I want to say it's maybe a 4-5 minute walk, but I an a slow walker. :)

They also have a selection of souvenirs in the lobby of their offices, and there's a nice little shop right next door. We were pinched for time our first time there (we were on a cruise), and I was happy to find this when we got there. With everything we had planned, we had no extra time to shop.

Archived