Europe cruises/availabilty of Euros

giginevelyn

Can anyone offer information about getting Euro's onboard (we're booked on the Freedom)? Do they have an endless supply, or do they typically run out each cruise? If they run out, then how soon into the cruise?

Thanks!

Janiece

You can buy Euros from the purser [most expensive option]. Other options include buying them pretrip from places like Bank of America. Cheapest option is using an ATM in the country you're visiting.

If you do the latter, notify your bank precruise you will be using your card in Europe

I was on the Freedom in March and they never seemed to run out of money. I only used them twice as I got euros in Philly before we got to Rome and then when we got into the city before the cruise, I got more Euros at a little shop near the Trevi Fountain.

Enjoy the cruise and if you go shopping in Katakalon make sure you go to the Jewelry Store called Iris. She will give you a great deal on Silver!

Okay i also have to add, I felt very safe in every port we went to on the cruise, even though we were made to feel that if we didn't take the excursions that the ship offered, we would have problems. Hind sight being 20/20 I would have not done any excursions in Istanbul or Rhodes. In Rhodes you can get to all the shopping and walk around the castle on you own. i walked back to the ship by myself and felt very safe! Istanbul we just didn't have enough time in the Market! Also we blew off the rug demonstration. We needed the time to go eat lunch and to shop! there is a great restaurant down from the where you go to see the rugs. Once you get to the end of the street turn to the left and head up about a block and a half. Can not remember the name of the place but they were the only ones who spoke english and helped us order. I had the sandwich of beef and potatoes and was well worth the money! Also if you feel homesick there is a Starbucks next to the rug place! You pay in american money but get turkish money in return! Have the turk cola it is super!

Once again have a blast! I know I did and I have the 180 pictures to prove it!:rolleyes:

Alice Faye Aft cabin Deck 6 :D

I never spent all my euros I brought with me from home. There was a coin shop near me that I could buy them from.

I got about $200 USD worth of Euros. €140 or so. The currency exchange desk was on Promenade, and John Heald actually recommended using the ATMS at the ports.

Here's something to consider. While waiting to get in line for the buses that go directly to the ship in Rome's airport, someone tried to buy something at the shop and said "they only take euros"

So as a suggestion to get some water, food, etc.. Bring some Euros with you if you can. They do seem to really like "Yank Dollars" in Istanbul. They also take Euros, but seemed to be able to make change from $ verses € a lot easier. Oh yeah apparently they will also take £.

Ok, I'm getting carried away using my knowledge of ascii characters to make the foreign currency symbols.

Archived