Grocery store or Target?

The closest Target store is about 84 km (52 miles) away in Bellingham, WA. There are no Target stores in Canada. Closest thing we have to Target is Zeller's or Wal-Mart.

From what I understand, around that area there are no large supermarkets, just some smaller "mom and pop" shop grocers. There is a Shopper's Drug Mart about 4 blocks away, if my Google map is correct.

Pretty good info from a Chap so far away. No Target here and our Walley Worlds are not the same at all as your big ones. (Limited groceries)

I don't know the area all that well either.

If you are driving? You could hit a real Canadian Super Store on Grandview and Rupert and then head north to the Port on Renfrew St with a couple of left dekes to Powell and then rt on Heatley.

If you are in downtown there are stores tucked in all over and your best source will be someone local say at your hotel.

Well, that's why I like Google Maps. Take a look at this map. And here are simpler instructions on where the Real Canadian Superstore (aka Loblaw's) is location and how to get to the pier from there.

It's interesting to me that Wal-Mart in Canada has had to try and import so much goods that are designed for Target in the US (if they can get them and aren't already legally a brand owned by Zeller's instead). Maybe it's because we don't have the same class divide as in the US.

Incidentally, you might actually appreciate this.... the Bay didn't actually buy Zeller's. Most people forget that Zeller's was actually owned by Field's and the Bay bought Field's... not the other way around.

The Google list of retailers is next to useless for locating a real Store. Went to about page 17 before I saw a store that would interest the OP.

The map directions however work well and I use their maps a lot....... but.... I wouldn't go that way. :)

Mr Zucker a US citizen now owns the Hudson Bay Co. which is the oldest Retailer in North America.

I think the situation with our major retailers and types of products etc is just one of volume. There ain't enough of us north of the border to really matter. I see this more and more every day.

If you're taking a cab from the airport, your taxi will almost certainly go up either Granville or Oak street - ask your cabbie to stop at Safeway.... there's one on either street.

if you're getting a shuttle of some sort to the pier... the area around ballantyne is not the kind of neighbourhood to go walking about looking for a grocery store + there are none there - best to get a cab & ask him to take you to one. There's an IGA downtown - much closer than the superstore!

Archived