Cave Tubing in Belize - Question about age

rdrseller

Alright, my DH is 70. He is in pretty good shape, but does have a bad hip. He really wants to do the cave tubing with me and the girls in Belize. He is worried that he will not be able to do the walk to the tubing site.

Is it a hard walk or a fairly easy walk. If it is at a reasonable pace and not rough walking surface, he should be ok.

Any one done this recently? Me and the DD and her best friend are booked on the excursion through CCL.

Thanks,:o

We did the excursion during our June 10th cruise. We had my 61 year old uncle and my two mid 50's in laws, 2 pre teens and the rest of us were in our 30's and it was fine. The walk is about 20-25 minutes, our guide made frequent stops to explain the diferrent trees in the forest and what they can be used for, so those stops were good. Our older hikers never complained I think you guys will be fine, the ground was like hard mud, with some rocks, but i wouldn't say rocky, it had its slippery spots, but since you walk it in a line you can keep those behind you aware where its best to put their next step. all i can say is definately go through a smalll company, we used belize-cave-tubing-dot-net, our guide took care of us from the hike all the way until the end, and he went at a pace that we all could handle. I highly recomend them.

There have been posts about the length of the hike. Different companies use difference starting points. Check with the company to see how long of a trip. (the range is either 20-25 min or 40-45 min.)

The path is like hiking on a trail in a state park. The path crosses the river and there are wooden stairs up the bank.

Just noticed where you're from. If he's walked around the top of Kennesaw Mountain, he'll be fine.

We were there in January '04. It was pretty wet & muddy. Ours was the 45 minute walk. There was an older couple with our group and the tour guide really kept an eye on them. The walk wasn't difficult, just had to watch for roots etc. At the end of our walk we jumped into the river from a low ledge and it was pouring rain at the time. There were a lot of mosquitos too. It was fun though!

Archived