Here we go...another "tipping" thread

tonimari99

My original question has nothing to do with the argument that is taking place. I am just wondering if someone that is getting paid a salary or a "normal wage" is also included in the tip pool. This happens all of the time in some companies. I was just pointing out that it would be unfortunate for the tipped employees if their tip out suffered due to this. My point is that yes, I'm sure that Princess has included the auto tip for "cheapskates", but there could be other reasons as well. When there is a pooled tip house its magical how many people suddenly have their hands in the cookie jar. That was my point and question. I gather that no one truely knows if this is taking place...which is my other point. When everyone pools, you really don't know where your money is going. It's too bad that it has to be this way. A guaranteed tip is great, if I know exactly where it is going. :rolleyes:

My original question has nothing to do with the argument that is taking place. I am just wondering if someone that is getting paid a salary or a "normal wage" is also included in the tip pool. This happens all of the time in some companies. I was just pointing out that it would be unfortunate for the tipped employees if their tip out suffered due to this. My point is that yes, I'm sure that Princess has included the auto tip for "cheapskates", but there could be other reasons as well. When there is a pooled tip house its magical how many people suddenly have their hands in the cookie jar. That was my point and question. I gather that no one truely knows if this is taking place...which is my other point. When everyone pools, you really don't know where your money is going. It's too bad that it has to be this way. A guaranteed tip is great, if I know exactly where it is going. :rolleyes:

No employee or ex employee has ever reported that the pooled tips go to anyone except the traditionally tipped employees on a cruise ship. There is no report that it goes to any salaried employee. That is not to say that some housekeeper or waitier doesn't tip the Mairte D or the head housekeeper...but every report I have seen says that the employees are ok with how its paid out. There is no report that the house is taking anything at all. It would be impossible for a company to keep it a secret.

While I have not cruised on Princess, the "auto tip" seems more like a surcharge (like the 15% added to drink orders) and the fact that is divided among so many people seems to not reward the "front line" employees who deal directly with customers and contribute directly to the cruise experience (in a positive or negative way) and are tipped by the customer based on the quality of the services they provide. A tip should not be an automatic expectation in any setting. If a cruise line needs to raise their prices $10pp/pd in order to pay their employees a decent wage then that is what should happen. Many cruisers do not utilize a given service such as the buffet, child center etc. and should not be expected to tip these workers.

Personally, we tip our room steward, waiter and assistant waiter the last night of the cruise in cash in an envelope with their name on it. We always tip more than the recommended amount but it is to an individual rather than a "pool". We tip the room service at the time of delivery. I also give extra cash tips to certain cocktail servers, bartenders, etc. on the last evening that have consistently provided excellent service throughout the cruise.

I have a hard time believing that many people don't use the buffet at all in a given week. I can't believe there are a lot of people who eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the restaurant and don't eat anything after dinner.

If you don't have kids in the child care why would you be expected to tip them? They aren't included in the auto tip. The part of the tip for the buffet workers that comes out of the auto tip is very small.

Bill

All I know is I hate being told that I must tip staff regardless of the service I get. This just means you reward bad service as well as the good. It's a shame that we in the first world take advantage of those less well off than us and, just because, in their home country what they earn is a large amount of money, think we can pay them very low wages. It's time we all paid a fair price. However I do know that the enforced 'tipping' means that actually the crew gets less from me as I am far less inclined to give them a cash tip on top of that taken from me automatically. If I was just rewarding good service in the true meaning of a tip (not just to make up someone's wages) I tend to give alot more when it's my choice.

An interesting point - here in the UK although most establishments don't seem to be aware of it it is actually against the law to charge a service charge. I think most get away with it because so few people know about it. I only found out about it from a friend who is a restaurant manager.

We've challenged it every time we eat out and absolutely no problem aslong as you state you aren't paying it before you order. Mind we still leave a good tip if the service we get deserves it, but pay cash, even asking on occasion to see the kitchen staff.

I work in food and beverage, and this is why I ask this question...In my line of work whenever there is a pooled tip house, management (that would usually never get tipped, as they are salary) becomes part of the tip out of the pool. Does anyone know if this is true on Princess? Maybe part of the reason for there being so many questions about removing the auto tip is because certain people would not receive their portion. I know that it benefits the buffet help and others that are deserving, but is there a cut to others, or do we not really know. I think that this is a concern for auto tip removal. ALTHOUGH...for all of you that remove and do not tip at all because "you will never see these people again", or because "service wasn't what you had expected", or because "you lost you money and your Dog ate it", do us all a favor...go back to your 9-5 cubical job where your people skills are minimal, and don't come out. If you think it's easy dealing with so many needy people, try it for a day. THEN see how many more days you would care to be in a service related position. Customer service would be great if we could eliminate the human factor ;)

I work as an FB in a large all inclusive. We have a no tipping policy, but take 2% of the gross income for the month and share it equally among all staff.

I chose to opt out of the automatic tip. It was a very hard decision for me as an "FB" person.

I opted out because I wanted to impact the people that directly aided my experience.

The ship did not make it any easier as you had to walk from the front desk down to the other desk and fill out a form. I felt like a criminal, but you know what, my steward got a great tip because he worked his a** off.

My bartenders got extra tips because they made me happy, the pizza guy got duked because he used a seperate spatula because my wife doesn't eat pork.

the waiter in Sterlings that went the extra mile and brought back my wife's well done steak four times was blessed by the tip fairy and the witers that took such good care of me in the Palm got blessed also.

\

I ended up tipping about 300, still felt sorry for the dishwashers, but, thought, hey...Princess could do what we do and take it out of their BOTTOM LINE rather than taking it from us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :D :D

seacuracao...

couldn't agree with you more...

and that folks is the complete example of what a tip is...

excuse me..

Princess corporate bean counters...it's time for you to read the definition of a tip

and please note that inquisition form that you made me initial in 3 places and then sign about why I wasn't auto "tipping" was rude!

It's a good thing YOUR rudeness didnt stop me COMPLETLEY from tipping like I've done the last 30 years of cruising...

I've actually begun to side with the Brits on this issue...hear that Hapyscot!

The crew is paid in US dollars in international waters. So, you're right -- there are no taxes withheld.

On RCL last year one of the cd staff told me that is why Americans cannot afford to work on ships. As a canadian citizen she did not have to pay certain taxes that us did. I am sure that is true for other countries as well.

That brings up a point. In most big cities when entertainers and atheletes go into a city to work they must pay income taxes on that portion of the salary that they accured while performing there.

Should cruise staff be taxed on that portion of their income that they made in US cities. Just a thought.

seacuracao...

couldn't agree with you more...

and that folks is the complete example of what a tip is...

excuse me..

Princess corporate bean counters...it's time for you to read the definition of a tip

and please note that inquisition form that you made me initial in 3 places and then sign about why I wasn't auto "tipping" was rude!

It's a good thing YOUR rudeness didnt stop me COMPLETLEY from tipping like I've done the last 30 years of cruising...

I've actually begun to side with the Brits on this issue...hear that Hapyscot!

:D

One down, 350 million to go..........................

I'll second that Shiona!!! Happyscot...come aboard...we're expecting you!!

Oh bugger! that studid song again!!

Just so ya know...I did manage to copy your quaint poetry from last night, and paste it onto our boards...before yours, mine and a couple of other posts disappeared into the nether regions of cc land.

:D

Kaz

Thanks, might do that, how flattering. Only I'm so popular here with the yanks that they might protest. :p

Psssssttt - any idea what they all DO on July 4th? Go to church and all that god blessing America stuff I suppose. Do you think they tip the vicar? "Nice sermon, here get something for the kids, two iced teas please, and can I have an egg-crate toilet seat".

Or do they run around having a laugh, making idiots of themselves and getting drunk? We call that Tuesday...............

As far as I can gather the problem was inadequately disguised sweary-words. I e-mailed Her Carolineness but she's in stern silence mode. Mmmmm I love it when she's stern. Those in the know say she has a fine stern.

I'd give it - what - 15 mins for this one?

I'm off work on a sickie with little to do but be annoying. God, but it's fun. Is God a sweary-word?

Outstanding performance by the ANZACS on the other thread. Right, better paint the bathroom, thus earning mega-sympathy cuddles from DW on her return.

:D :D

Why do people need to figure out what everybody else earns or how their salary is divided. It's none of our business. i like the auto tipping and leave it at that.

At first, I was very curious, now I agree, how they pay their employees is not my business. I understand the tipping policies, but I do not care how it is managed, if the employees were unhappy about it, they would deal with it...

We have a no tipping policy, but take 2% of the gross income for the month and share it equally among all staff. Princess could do what we do and take it out of their BOTTOM LINE rather than taking it from us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :D :D

Yes, they could, that would involve adding the Auto-Tip you don't wish to pay to the Fares you have to pay, doing it upfront instead of after.

Corporations never take anything out of their bottom line, they always pass extra costs to their customers.

Your workplace's method involves charging 2% or more from their customers to make the same profit every month.

Does it really matter if they charge an auto tip/service charge, or charge you a higher fare? You're still going to be the one paying......

Tipping expectations are different in different countries around the world. In some, tipping is expected, in others not. Never-the-less, when in Rome, do as the Romans do is good manners. Princess and P&O cruise ships might be sailing near Australia, but most are flagged elsewhere. Where a ship is flagged, not where it is sailing, should determine tipping policies, because that determines the lawa on how the crew is paid.

If you don't like the auto-tipping, or tipping rules on one cruise line, you can always sail on a different cruise line.

I have never cruised yet, and do not know if this has been already mentioned....

But I have heard from a fellow cruiser, that has kept in contact with some staff from Princess Lines, that if you remove the "auto tip" they are in trouble for it.

The room steward is likely blamed, AND if you leave them a tip, say all of the $240 or whatever, with the auto tip removed, they MUST turn that in to management and it is divided up anyways. If they don't, it is grounds for dismissal.

They can lose days off etc as well if the auto tip is removed.

However, if you leave the auto tip on, and still decide to tip extra, then they are allowed to keep all of the tip.

That is just what I've heard anyways.

Yes, they could, that would involve adding the Auto-Tip you don't wish to pay to the Fares you have to pay, doing it upfront instead of after.

Corporations never take anything out of their bottom line, they always pass extra costs to their customers.

Your workplace's method involves charging 2% or more from their customers to make the same profit every month.

Does it really matter if they charge an auto tip/service charge, or charge you a higher fare? You're still going to be the one paying......

Tipping expectations are different in different countries around the world. In some, tipping is expected, in others not. Never-the-less, when in Rome, do as the Romans do is good manners. Princess and P&O cruise ships might be sailing near Australia, but most are flagged elsewhere. Where a ship is flagged, not where it is sailing, should determine tipping policies, because that determines the lawa on how the crew is paid.

If you don't like the auto-tipping, or tipping rules on one cruise line, you can always sail on a different cruise line.

What an interesting coment to make If you don't like the auto-tipping, or tipping rules on one cruise line, you can always sail on a different cruise line. Which one?

As an Aussie, sailing in Europe Princess will charge us 3% credit card fees +the meager curencey conversion to US$ (5% in total ) for PAYING OUR ON BOARD ACCOUNT BY Aus CREDIT CARD. So I ask myself will i subsidise the fortunate US/CAN cruisers who pay a pittance for their cruise compared to my antipideon friends,ummm don't even mention the word T..

Why would one go on a different cruise line when they can stop auto tip or not tip at all and still be within the guidelines? Payment of crew is determined by mariatime law and not the country determine pay. Some contries have different requirments for people of their country, exampled by previous examples

I have never cruised yet, and do not know if this has been already mentioned....

But I have heard from a fellow cruiser, that has kept in contact with some staff from Princess Lines, that if you remove the "auto tip" they are in trouble for it.

The room steward is likely blamed, AND if you leave them a tip, say all of the $240 or whatever, with the auto tip removed, they MUST turn that in to management and it is divided up anyways. If they don't, it is grounds for dismissal.

However, if you leave the auto tip on, and still decide to tip extra, then they are allowed to keep all of the tip.

And on Good Friday. being a Good Christian shipping company. they only stone the crew who don't pick up all the auto tips, by being suspendnd off the ships figurehead ( oops back to my old punk days) wuith the Matre D' shouting foutcasts outcasts

You are correct..

This past week on the Caribbean Princess, I quizzed my cabin attendant a little bit on these policies and he said something very similar. Of the $10 per day, $3.50 goes toward rooms and $6.50 goes toward waiters/food service. And each of these gets split up between several people. He said he gets $1.75 of the room portion. But when I asked him about extra tips he did say that he does not have to share those, so I felt better about giving him extra for all his hard work.

So I ask myself will i subsidise the fortunate US/CAN cruisers who pay a pittance for their cruise compared to my antipideon friends,ummm don't even mention the word T..
I don't know that people who book cruises from the US always pay a "pittance". It's costing a pretty penny to sail from Southampton this summer. Even the last time we went, two years ago, our British and Welsh tablemates were paying less than us.

Personally I don't care how you resolve your issues with tipping. If you are paying more than you think, perhaps you should blame it on the lack of free market forces in your own economy - that might to be where the fault lies. I just hope you realize that the idea that you are subsidizing anyone else is ridiculous and no reason to punish those who do the hard work required for you to have an enjoyable holiday.

And I do hope you find it enjoyable.

I don't know that people who book cruises from the US always pay a "pittance". It's costing a pretty penny to sail from Southampton this summer. Even the last time we went, two years ago, our British and Welsh tablemates were paying less than us.

Personally I don't care how you resolve your issues with tipping. If you are paying more than you think, perhaps you should blame it on the lack of free market forces in your own economy - that might to be where the fault lies. I just hope you realize that the idea that you are subsidizing anyone else is ridiculous and no reason to punish those who do the hard work required for you to have an enjoyable holiday.

And I do hope you find it enjoyable.

here here! and we don't always agree!

Well you have heard correctly and have explained it perfectly!

I work as an FB in a large all inclusive. We have a no tipping policy, but take 2% of the gross income for the month and share it equally among all staff.

I chose to opt out of the automatic tip. It was a very hard decision for me as an "FB" person.

I opted out because I wanted to impact the people that directly aided my experience.

The ship did not make it any easier as you had to walk from the front desk down to the other desk and fill out a form. I felt like a criminal, but you know what, my steward got a great tip because he worked his a** off.

My bartenders got extra tips because they made me happy, the pizza guy got duked because he used a seperate spatula because my wife doesn't eat pork.

the waiter in Sterlings that went the extra mile and brought back my wife's well done steak four times was blessed by the tip fairy and the witers that took such good care of me in the Palm got blessed also.

\

I ended up tipping about 300, still felt sorry for the dishwashers, but, thought, hey...Princess could do what we do and take it out of their BOTTOM LINE rather than taking it from us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :D :D

Although your intentions were good the results of your undertaking were not what you had intended. Although the bartenders were able to keep what you gave them (in addition to the 15% already added to your bill) everyone else you listed had to turn in what you gave them and since you had removed the auto tip your money got thrown into the "pool pot" none the less. In addition by removing the auto tip you room steward was probably penalized or rebuked in some fashion. Had you done your homework here on CC you would have known that. Read what Albino Mosquito has said, she laid it out perfectly.

:D Me too! :D

If the auto-tip is removed and the same amount (or more) is given by the passenger and turned in by the staff in cash, then the staff is not penalized. So, yes, they must turn in ALL tips.

Anything over the recommended amount is returned to them -- the recommended amount goes into the pool and is divided as usual.

This past week on the Caribbean Princess, I quizzed my cabin attendant a little bit on these policies and he said something very similar. Of the $10 per day, $3.50 goes toward rooms and $6.50 goes toward waiters/food service. And each of these gets split up between several people. He said he gets $1.75 of the room portion. But when I asked him about extra tips he did say that he does not have to share those, so I felt better about giving him extra for all his hard work.[/quote]

Funny how no one felt the need to quote this source, an actual current employee, and relies rather on 55th hand accounts repeated endlessly on these threads that someone got from their brother's, neighbour's, dog's, car-washers' probation officer who once walked past a Princess ship in 1963.

Funny how the most diabolical penalties await those whose passengers remove their auto-tips, quoted by the same people who then talk about endless queues of cheap tip taker-offers at reception - that's an awful lot of punished staff every trip. Over half the staff are punished on some European trips - my goodness. Unions must be terrible.

Funny how Priness are apparently devoted to ensuring staff are tipped, and yet have never felt the need to officially publish or promote any of the scary-wary policies mentioned in these threads, despite the fact that that would of course encourage many to put their hands in their pockets.

And most of all, to the poor bloke who keeps on quoting the authoritative source that shows most crew net 2 - 3 thousand dollars a month, one day some one will quote you and stop going on about how your tip is the only thing keeping them from starvation. That is more than DW takes home for a full-time supervisory position in a high-wage economy. When our cruise was delayed in Southampton, staff outside our room cheered. We then saw dozens of them pouring of the boat and heading for the pubs in designer gear. Didn't look TOO hungry. Yes they work hard, but so do I.

Sanctimonious twaddle from people who won't pay the taxes or vote for the government that will solve the problems of poverty, perferring instead to look big by throwing pennies at servants.

I thank you. That's better now. You may proceed.

xxxxxxx

But we disagree intelligently. That makes for good discussion.

And most of all, to the poor bloke who keeps on quoting the authoritative source that shows most crew net 2 - 3 thousand dollars a month, one day some one will quote you and stop going on about how your tip is the only thing keeping them from starvation. That is more than DW takes home for a full-time supervisory position in a high-wage economy.

Your figure would be about correct, assuming that a steward gets $1.75 per person from auto-tips. That's $3.50 per cabin, double occupancy, 7 days per week. So, 16 cabins assigned would be $392 per week, if it's 20 cabins then it's $490 per week. Not everyone leaves auto-tips on, and some of those who do tip extra, so this is probably a reasonable estimate. Annualized, that works out to anywhere from $20K to $25K per year, roughly. It's not a LOT of money, but it's more than my 84-year old MIL gets from Social Security. Maybe I should put her to work on a cruise ship. (kidding...:))

Sanctimonious twaddle from people who won't pay the taxes or vote for the government that will solve the problems of poverty, perferring instead to look big by throwing pennies at servants.
I sometimes wonder if we haven't been brainwashed here to some extent about tipping - or perhaps we've just grown used to it. And does this mean you'll stop calling us all sorts of bad things if we elect Hillary or Obama (or whoever) and they raise our taxes to the point we have to cut back on vacation spending? After all, raising our federal taxes just 3% means cancelling a cruise. Of course, if we aren't cruising we aren't throwing our money around conspicuously, and that should make everyone happy.

Of course, anyone who expects governments to solve the world's ills, is probably drinking from the same pitcher of koolaid. I mean, in all of human history we've tried all kinds of governments and all we get are wars, corruption, and $1800 toilet seats in congressional offices. I've heard Nancy's seat is heated and padded, plus she gets Charmin, not the cheap John Wayne stuff (rough and tough) they send over for those red-staters.

People, make up your own minds. I doubt there are very many here who think that giving a tip is a self-aggrandizing gesture. Mostly they are given as intended, as a gesture of appreciation. And, from my experience, the crew who receive them do appreciate it.

Archived