Ulu knife?

sweetsly

sweetsly - Its a curved knife that's really good for chopping things in a bowl. Here is a link to a web site that would show them.

http://www.ulu.com/

We found some very inexpensively ($3.50) but without the bowl. The bowl is really just a peice of wood carved out with a shallow indentation. You can find some much more expensive ones that have handles made of animal bone. I love the inexpensive one we bought and have used it several times since we've come home. THey make great gifts... just remember to put them in your checked luggage if traveling home by plane.

Barb

There are quality and not so quality Ulu's. You really do get what you pay for on these. Some sets are cheap and not so comfortable to hold with sharp edged wood; some seem to fit like they are custom made for my hand. I have an antler ulu which is the most comfortable to hold though I don't use it often. I also have a wooden set from the Ulu Factory, which I use ALL the time. In addition, I have a couple of plastic handled ones that I purchased at a local discount store here in Oklahoma, and I use these often, though the blades aren't the best quality, they are easy to throw in the dishwasher (something I don't do with my others). I also have another that is antler, but the blade rusts very easily. It has turned into a true souvenir, since it takes too much care for everyday use.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the cheap sets. Ulu Factory sets can be purchased in Ketchikan for $25, and they are very nice for only a few dollars more than the cheapie china's, especially if you plan to USE it.:)

We bought ulu knives and bowl sets at Tongass Trading Company in Ketchikan. They were $24.99 each, made at the Ulu Factory. Very nice. It was the cheapest place we found for "made in Alaska" ones. In the book you can pick up when you first board the ship, there is a coupon for a flat shipping rate of $7.50 to anywhere in the US. I bought 7 knife sets, sent them home last Thurs, and they arrived today (Monday). Not bad. It cost them $25 to ship it, so that worked out well. Our friends bought some and took them on the ship, no problems. Have fun, Jean

Archived