Anchorage/Whittier Bookstore? (Harry Potter Release!)

EmmaWoodhouse

I feel a bit silly asking-- but-- the new Harry Potter is released July 23 in Alaska (apparently, takes another 2 days to get it outside the lower 48). Which is the day we sail on the Coral! We're on the 10 AM train from Anchorage to Whittier, so I worry that there won't be time to go out, buy the book, and get to the train on time, and it sounds like there's not much in Whittier??? Does anyone know of a bookstore near the train station in Anchorage or in Whittier where we might be able to pick up a copy of the book?

I don't understand why Alaska would be 2 days behind. DH works for the Canadian publisher and because the laydown is so huge the some of the stores are getting the books up to a week ahead. I don't know why Alaska would be different. The release date is suppose to be world wide.

If Alaska is like Canada, anything remotely resembling a book store (usually only sells magazines) will have copies. A gas station even tried to get an account.;) And I would imagine some of the gift shops will have copies.

Sorry I can't help as far as a book store in either town.

Alaska won't be 2 days behind. The book stores up here stay open and release the book at midnight like all the other book stores across the US.

I'm sure the Anchorage Barnes & Noble or the Border's Books will have it for you. They may be all sold out though, if you aren't in line a few hours or a day ahead of time. Walmart will probably have it too, but those stores aren't near the train station, though.

If you can contact either one of the above mentioned stores, pre-order and pre-pay for it so you know it's there when you get there.

I totaly understand. I just finished re-reading all 6 books so it's fresh in my mind when the 7th one comes.

Enjoy it and your cruise!

My mother told me she'd looked into it and it really does come out later there-- maybe it was just whatever store she talked to, though?? Are the Borders/Barnes & Noble near the train station? We can definitely pre-order-- and will, once we figure out what store to use!

I really should re-read 6, at the least-- it may be a good use of the flight time out to Anchorage!

I can;t speak for anchorage but our cruise stops in Juneau on July 22 and we have contacted a book store to pre-order it (and got 30% off as well!) There was no way my 7 year old was going to wait until we got back to CT on July 28th for that book!!

Mikki

Barnes and Noble is about 10 minutes away from the Depot by car.

Borders is about 20 minutes away from the Depot.

Fred Meyers will also have the book, there's 1 of those down the street from Barnes and Noble.

The book comes out the same day as everyone else. It is not delayed 2 days up here in Alaska.

You can preorder for delivery on July 21st - the day of my sailing on the Sapphire. Maybe Princess can receive mail at port in Whittier? Anyone know?

I'd prefer to get an audio edition so I won't spend the cruise with my nose in a book. I'm a real Harry Potter fan and am freaked out that I'll get off the cruise and hear/see on the news what his fate is. Forget the Sopranos ending - this is going to be something I can't wait to read!

What to do...what to do...??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sorry but no bookstore in Whittier nor could you expect to have it delivered by Amazon.com

There is a bookstore in downtown Anchorage. The former Cook Inlet Bookstore location has been taken over by Title Wave Books. They are on 5th avenue across from JC Penney's. Their website is http://www.wavebooks.com and they're the closest you'll find to the train depot.

Your best bet is to wait until Juneau where there is a bookstore on Franklin close to where the cruise ships dock. You could also go out to the Fred Meyers not far from the airport.

I just looked on the Whittier web sight. There was a listing for Captain Cook's Books & Gifts. It didn't give an address, but I'd bet they would have some. Atleast if their smart they will. And I still think anything close to selling books will. :)

I just finished re-reading all 6 books so it's fresh in my mind when the 7th one comes.

I did the same thing....couldn't believe some of the things I had forgotten. We'll be pulling into Victoria on the 21st on the Sun Princess....hoping to find a book store there that we can purchase it at.

OK. You guys convinced me. Harry 7 was going to be my cruise reading when we sail on August 10 but now I am concerned that if I wait till then someone will spoil the ending. So I guess I will upgrade shipping for same day.

And I can't find #6!!!

(BTW, since our dear shih tzu Squirrel departed over a year ago, I feel compelled to note that I am now the proud mom of Dumbledore (a gray kitty) and Dursley (a black and white shiih tzu). I just love it when adults know the significance! Happy cruising AND reading!!)

Trust me on this one - I would be floored if the Whittier bookstore had the book.

Whittier is a small town of 800 people that receives all its supplies via an Alaska Railroad tunnel or by barge. My wife works in Whittier every year and brings everything in from Anchorage. The latest books are not a priority to a town that needs other items shipped in on a daily basis.

If you really want the book by August 10, upgrade your shipping for same day.

Thanks everyone! We may wind up waiting until we're in Juneau-- hopefully no one else on the boat will have read it (since we're all in the same situation), and hearing spoilers won't be an issue... otherwise, I could see myself being forced to dive-tackle a chatty tablemate...:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I feel a bit silly asking-- but-- the new Harry Potter is released July 23 in Alaska (apparently, takes another 2 days to get it outside the lower 48). Which is the day we sail on the Coral! We're on the 10 AM train from Anchorage to Whittier, so I worry that there won't be time to go out, buy the book, and get to the train on time, and it sounds like there's not much in Whittier??? Does anyone know of a bookstore near the train station in Anchorage or in Whittier where we might be able to pick up a copy of the book?

You don't say what the rest of your schedule is, but I noticed today while passing through Sea-Tac airport that the Hudson Bookstores in the airport will have the Harry Potter book on the 21st, in case you're traveling up that day.

Also, there's been articles in the AK papers about kids waiting in line already to buy the book. If you're in Fairbanks, they'll have it on the 21st, so they should certainly have it in Anchorage.

Hi, "Emma,"

I'm on your sailing and I also want to get the Harry Potter book. However, I'm going to be coming from Denali Monday! I'm riding the train all day from the middle of the wilderness to the ship's dock.

I've been trying to figure out how to get it shipped to meet me but it just doesn't look like it'll work out. :(

If you manage to get to Barnes & Noble in Anchorage on Sunday (if you're in town) or on Monday before boarding the train, I would LOVE it if you'd pick me up a copy, too! I'd even split your taxi fare to the bookstore. ;)

Let me know! You can email me at kromine@yahoo.com up until Wednesday morning this week. I'll be in cabin C503 on the ship. My cell phone is 310-346-1155.

Harry Potter fans, unite!

Cheers,

Karen :)

I just spoke to a guy at the Border's on Dimond in Anchorage and he said that they would have copies of book 7 on Saturday. Why don't you order the book from Amazon and have it delivered to your hotel in Anchorage? That would be the easiest way to guarantee it to be there for you. BTW, Whittier doesn't have a book store. It has a population of ~300 so they can't support that kind of store. (I know this since I lived there and my parents are still there.)

I wonder if Emma ever got her book.

I usually get the mail between 11:30 and 1:00 on Saturday. My doorbell ring at 8:02 and it was the mail lady w/my Harry Potter.

I took it out of the box and it's in shrink wrap and I haven't opened it all the way yet.

I'm so anxious to read it but I don't want to start it cuz I know it's the last book. Almost kinda of sad.

This should keep me occupied until my first cruise.

Enjoy everyone.

(BTW' date=' since our dear shih tzu Squirrel departed over a year ago, I feel compelled to note that I am now the proud mom of Dumbledore (a gray kitty) and Dursley (a black and white shiih tzu). I just love it when adults know the significance! Happy cruising AND reading!!)[/quote']

Love it! Our cat is McGonagall and she looks just like the cat Professor McGonagall transformed into in the first movie. :) I always have to explain her name.

I'm heading out shortly to pick up my copy. I thought about going to Barnes and Noble last night at midnight, but I was awfully tired after a stressful week at work.

Happy reading!

Jayne

Archived