Kids program in November?

I am going to try this again as the moderators put my last post in a roll call. I am trying to find out what experience people had in general traveling with kids during the month of November while school is still in session? Particularly age 12 group. Were there enuf kids in the activities programs to make your child happy? Appreciate hearing from anyone who has cruised this time of year with kids of school age. Thanks for your help:)

As you might expect there will be far fewer kids onboard. The funny thing no matter when I cruise there are kids onboard. I guess with home schooling and other options it is no longer common to find a ship with almost no children.

Don't be surprised to find this thread moved to the Family Cruising board ;) Nothing in your question related to NCL

Went to family board. 44 pages of uncompiled data going back to 2005. It would make sense if it was listed by cruise line like roll calls but it isn't-basically useless unless u want to go thru 44 pages to try to find one that posted that they were going on your cruise with kids. The roll call i started for the sail date is dead. I think one person responded in the past few months. Maybe it should be moved to ask a cruise ? Oh well. I was doing this for my friend who has a 12yr old and is sailing with us. I tried. And i appreciate all of your input:)

You can do a search for "November sailing" or "fall cruises" on the family board. That might narrow things down for you. It may just be too early for a November cruise for the Roll Call - some Roll Calls are very active and some are not.

I agree --how amazing it is to see kids on cruises when school is in session--I have been on cruises in mid Sept with probably 50 kids on board--the answer is either home schooling or I suppose school isnt that important--

I agree --how amazing it is to see kids on cruises when school is in session--I have been on cruises in mid Sept with probably 50 kids on board--the answer is either home schooling or I suppose school isnt that important--

Hit the wrong week in Sept and you could have a ship full of kids from NJ. The schools are closed for two days for teachers convention and they call it Jersey week at Disney.:D

A lot of school districts are going to year-round schedules. Also, more folks are homeschooling. And more parents than ever are willing to pull kids out of school for a week (or more) for vacations, especially when you take in to account the price difference between traveling during a holiday week and a non-holiday week.

We took DS out of Kindergarten for a week this last spring for a cruise on The Spirit. I was feeling pretty decadent about it until we ran into a family where Grandma and Grampa had brought along their 16 year-old grand-daughter. I really can't imagine being able to miss a week of school in high school and not have it make a difference in your grades. :eek:

No matter what time of year you go, there will be kids on board. There may not be tons of 12 year-olds in November (at a non-holiday time), but I'd bet you'll find at least a handful. You could try the roll call for your particular cruise and ask to see if anyone else on the roll call has kids in your age range. Still, at a guess, you'll probably find enough to make it worthwhile to attend Kids Crew activities.

I think it would also depend on the lengh of the cruise. We took the 12 day Western Carib on the Dawn in November and did not see many children that were school age at all.

Tons of babies and toddlers, but maybe a handful of 10-12's. I'm sure kids club would run as usual, but there might not be so many children his age to play with.

You can do a search for "November sailing" or "fall cruises" on the family board. That might narrow things down for you. It may just be too early for a November cruise for the Roll Call - some Roll Calls are very active and some are not.

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried and so far nothing, but i will keep trying.:)

Hi - I cruised on the Dawn in November with my two children, both school aged (8 and 10) and there were definitely enough kids for them to play with. (Saw the posting earlier about the teacher convention in New Jersey - it's actually in November - this year the week of November 3rd, and the poster was right - many people from New Jersey are on vacation that week - us included!!) When it gets closer to your sail date you might want to try asking Ships Services what the age count is. On the Noordam this past November, my kids were two of a handful their age, however they still had a blast. Ships services provided me the count of how many children were in their age group and it made me feel a tad better knowing they would have at least a few other kids their age. There were many more kids on the Dawn - I think NCL caters a bit more to the kids than does HAL. Have a great time.

OR maybe some people cruise when the prices are good and they can get time off of work. I take my younger child out of school to cruise. Sue me. He is a straight A student and his missed week doesn't seem to affect that.

I really can't stand it when people judge other parents.

Hi - I cruised on the Dawn in November with my two children, both school aged (8 and 10) and there were definitely enough kids for them to play with. (Saw the posting earlier about the teacher convention in New Jersey - it's actually in November - this year the week of November 3rd, and the poster was right - many people from New Jersey are on vacation that week - us included!!) When it gets closer to your sail date you might want to try asking Ships Services what the age count is. On the Noordam this past November, my kids were two of a handful their age, however they still had a blast. Ships services provided me the count of how many children were in their age group and it made me feel a tad better knowing they would have at least a few other kids their age. There were many more kids on the Dawn - I think NCL caters a bit more to the kids than does HAL. Have a great time.

You are right it is November - this year the 8th and 9th with some schools closed the 7th - expect that week to have many kids form at least NJ on ships

This will be our 4th cruise with our kids in November. They will now be almost 9, and 10.5. There have always been lots of kids on our cruises (two Disney, one RCCL, first NCL coming this November). We really don't find it a big deal to take our kids out. They do a little extra homework for the 2 weeks before. We try not to bring any homework with us, and have always managed (have done November vacations, both land and cruise for all of their lives). It is a nice break and they feel special about missing a week. But... they are good students and they have awesome teachers!!!! I would think that either of them had any problems at school, then we wouldn't do it. We have met lots of Europeans (from England and Norway) on our cruises, and I think that is great for the kids to learn about other cultures.

They will have a great time!

This will be our 4th cruise with our kids in November. They will now be almost 9, and 10.5. There have always been lots of kids on our cruises (two Disney, one RCCL, first NCL coming this November). We really don't find it a big deal to take our kids out. They do a little extra homework for the 2 weeks before. We try not to bring any homework with us, and have always managed (have done November vacations, both land and cruise for all of their lives). It is a nice break and they feel special about missing a week. But... they are good students and they have awesome teachers!!!! I would think that either of them had any problems at school, then we wouldn't do it. We have met lots of Europeans (from England and Norway) on our cruises, and I think that is great for the kids to learn about other cultures.

They will have a great time!

What ship and sail date are u on this November with your kids? Just wondering if it is Pearl 11/11? I am the one who started the thread asking about kids sailing......:D

We NEVER cruise any other time than when school is in session…and there are ALWAYS plenty of kids (for my kids) to play with. In fact, my kids will tell you…that the less kids on board the better time they have in kids camp. They are able to do many more activities...and...I’m not sure that your 12 year old will appreciate it…but the camp instructors will be able give them much more attention as well.

We NEVER cruise any other time than when school is in session…and there are ALWAYS plenty of kids (for my kids) to play with. In fact, my kids will tell you…that the less kids on board the better time they have in kids camp. They are able to do many more activities...and...I’m not sure that your 12 year old will appreciate it…but the camp instructors will be able give them much more attention as well.

For those of you who are not from the New Jersey area.The first week in November[election day week]most schools are closed.There is a three day closing for teachers convention(no joke)which they combine with election day and most school systems move Veterens day to that week so therefore schools are closed for the first week.

If you dont want to cruise with maybe over 500 children(we did last year and there were 750 children on board)I would pick another week.

If you dont want to cruise with maybe over 500 children(we did last year and there were 750 children on board)I would pick another week.

omg!

Glad we booked a cruise at the end of november!:eek:

If not travelling with kids, this will be a noisy week on board.....

Archived