7 mile beach and good place to eat??

luv2travel29

Hey everyone! i was just in GC in Feb and did the whole butterfly, hell, eden rock, margaritaville thing.... :)

Going back in 3 wks and wondering the best way to get to 7 mile beach and can anyone recommend a good restaurant?? we did not like margaritaville, food stunk, service stunk etc... but i love Cayman!! any other thoughts on what i must do??? dont like to swim with the "rays"!! :rolleyes: thanks and have a great day!!

Hang in there Jill! There are several "regulars" on this board that frequent the Caymans quite often. I have the same questions as you, so maybe they will be checking in soon.:)

Twinkletoes: Where are you? :)

Hello!

Here's a website that offers sample menus from some of the restaurants in the George Town and 7MB area. Select what area you want, and once you find a restaurant, most have a "sample menu."

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_menu.asp?restaurantID=12&menu_headingID=85

There are a lot of good restaurants in the area, but if you're on a ship, I'd probably choose something in the GT or 7MB area.

We like Breezes. It's right in the port area (they have a balcony, it's very small, but it's fun to sit there and people watch. They also have a bar menu, which you have to ask for, but this offers smaller portions (and without the all the sides) and has a few things that aren't on the regular menu.

We ate at Hard Rock, and it was okay, nothing special.

I've read where people have enjoyed The Paradise Restaurant (it's right in the port area)...just to the right of the tendering area.

We also liked Rackham's. It's about a 5 minute walk from the port area(toward the 7MB area). The food is pretty good, but we mainly ate there because it's right on the water. Rackham's is behind a yellow (I believe) building. You have to walk behind the building, through the gates, and to the restaurant. We drove by this a couple of times and missed the entrance.

We've tried to eat at Hammerhead's, but the parking lot has always been full everytime we're there, so we've not tried it yet.

We love Coconut Joe's, and Aqua Beach Restaurant, but both are down 7MB area a bit and you'd need to take a cab. Neither of these are on the water, nor can you see the water (the are on the opposite side of the road and the view of the ocean is blocked by condos and hotels).

We've eaten at Decker's once, but didn't think the food was that great (it's also down the 7MB area and you'd need to take a cab or have a rental car).

There's also Senor Frogs in town, but we've not eaten there.

Drew posts here...and he lives on the island. He's mentioned a couple of more "local" type places...so maybe he'll come along and add to my list.

Going back in 3 wks and wondering the best way to get to 7 mile beach and can anyone recommend a good restaurant??

If you want to go to 7MB, I'd just grab a cab (or rent a car and go wherever you want). Sea Grape and Royal Palms offer food, restrooms, chair rentals, water toy rentals. Royal Palms is closer to town and Sea Grape is toward the far end of 7MB. The problem with Sea Grape is sometimes the traffic gets backed up near the Ritz (Sea Grape is just beyond this) so you really need to allow extra time to get to the port area.

Here's the Royal Palms website and it's lists their lunch menu.

http://www.reefgrill.com/pages/cruiseinformation.html

We've not been to either of these places, but we did drive past Sea Grape a lot and there were always cabs lined up...and from what I've read, Royal Palms also has cabs on hand to get you back to the port.

Some of the hotels used to offer day passes, but with all the ships in port these days, I'm not sure which ones are still doing this. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants in the hotels, but maybe Drew will come along an offer an opinion on those.

And you could always rent a car and go wherever you want. GC is a safe place to just get out and explore. We always use Andy's, but there are lots of other car rental places.

I hope you're going to be there on a day when there aren't 7-10 ships. All the places I mentioned will be packed if that's the case. We stay in a condo on 7MB and plan our days around the number of ships in port.

Hope you have a great time! :)

There are 4 ships in town when we dock at Grand Cayman. How is that for crowds of cruisers? We're thinking of going to Royal Palms.

With four it shouldn't be bad at all. You just can't imagine what it's like with 10 ships in port! Have a great time at Royal Palms. They are supposed to have a really good Mudslide there. :)

Thanks so much for the great info!!

as far as sightseeing, any other must sees in GC?? like i said in my original post, we have been to Hell, Butterfly farm and turtle farm and eden rock....

We really like the East End of the island. If you rent a car for the day, you could drive over that way and see the blowholes. The botanical garden is on Frank Sound Road, which is on the way to Rum Point. There's also the Lighthouse Restaurant that's over that way...and they have really good food. Pedro's Castle is also over that way. But it is a 45 minute drive to Rum Point (each way) if you don't stop for anything.

http://www.lighthouse.ky/

But if you're going to stay in the GT and 7MB area, I just can't think of anything else that you haven't already done.

Have a great time... :)

We really like the East End of the island. If you rent a car for the day, you could drive over that way and see the blowholes. The botanical garden is on Frank Sound Road, which is on the way to Rum Point. There's also the Lighthouse Restaurant that's over that way...and they have really good food. Pedro's Castle is also over that way. But it is a 45 minute drive to Rum Point (each way) if you don't stop for anything.

http://www.lighthouse.ky/

But if you're going to stay in the GT and 7MB area, I just can't think of anything else that you haven't already done.

Have a great time... :)

Do you have any idea what a taxi would cost to say sea grapes or royal palms area? Also after the beach time how far would it be to get back to where there is local shopping and things before heading back to the ship, if I can figure out the costs of all these things I can see how much shopping money I will have :p

Do you have any idea what a taxi would cost to say sea grapes or royal palms area? Also after the beach time how far would it be to get back to where there is local shopping and things before heading back to the ship, if I can figure out the costs of all these things I can see how much shopping money I will have :p

I'm not completely sure about the cab fare, but I want to say it's around $5 per person each way to Sea Grape. And maybe a dollar less to go to Royal Palms. I have read that the cab drivers don't like to make the drive to SG since it's way down on the 7MB stretch.

The local shopping is right in the tender area. Last time we were there, we were sitting on the balcony of Breezes, and a couple next to us sat there drinking while they kept an eye on their tender line. When it got short, they scooted off and got in line.

Depending on how busy the traffic is, if you go to Sea Grape, it will probably add 15 minutes to your time, each way...at least. Royal Palms is about half the distance as Sea Grape is.

You might start another thread and ask these questions. We stay at a condo, so I am really not completely sure of the cab costs or the exact timing from these two places. There are several posters who go to both these places all the time, and I am sure they would be able to give you a more accurate idea of the exact cab costs and the time invloved coming and going to both of these places.

I'm not completely sure about the cab fare, but I want to say it's around $5 per person each way to Sea Grape. And maybe a dollar less to go to Royal Palms. I have read that the cab drivers don't like to make the drive to SG since it's way down on the 7MB stretch.

The local shopping is right in the tender area. Last time we were there, we were sitting on the balcony of Breezes, and a couple next to us sat there drinking while they kept an eye on their tender line. When it got short, they scooted off and got in line.

Depending on how busy the traffic is, if you go to Sea Grape, it will probably add 15 minutes to your time, each way...at least. Royal Palms is about half the distance as Sea Grape is.

Thanks Twinkle, I have seen you post about Breezes several times on this thread if we can see the tender line from this place might be a nice "last stop" before the boat. What kind of food do they serve and is it reasonable or expensive or just a good place to grab a drink while we wait for the tender?

And thank you I did find it is about $4 each way to get to Royal Palms, also I emailed them and they actually have lockers too so DH can lock up the camera and come in for a swim with me. Thanks for the suggestion on this place.

Thanks Twinkle, I have seen you post about Breezes several times on this thread if we can see the tender line from this place might be a nice "last stop" before the boat. What kind of food do they serve and is it reasonable or expensive or just a good place to grab a drink while we wait for the tender?

And thank you I did find it is about $4 each way to get to Royal Palms, also I emailed them and they actually have lockers too so DH can lock up the camera and come in for a swim with me. Thanks for the suggestion on this place.

Here's Breeze's menu...it may be just a partial, but it will give you an idea of what they have to offer. There's also the bar menu, which is a bit cheaper and has smaller portions, and things that aren't on the regular menu. Just remember the menu is in CD, so for US, just add about 20% and they also will add the 15% tip to your bill.

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_menu.asp?restaurantID=12&menu_headingID=85

All the restaurants we went to were expensive, even Wendy's was expensive. I'm sure there must be somewhere on the island that's cheaper...where the locals go, but we didn't find it. We like Breezes because of the location...it's fun to sit on the balcony and watch the ships and the people, which is the main reason we like it. We also found the food to be good and the service has always been good (for us).

Because things are so expensive, we tend to order only what we'll eat (or take the leftovers back to the condo), and we have found that we end up sharing a couple of things rather than everyone having their own meal. Since you'll be getting back on the ship, you might just share a couple of appetizers (we like the conch fritters) and have a drink. Pork chops are pork chops...even in Grand Cayman, so maybe look on the menu for a couple of things you can't get at home or on the ship.

I didn't know that RP had lockers. And thanks for the cab fare info. I'll remember both of these things for the next time someone asks about RP. I've also heard that RP has a really good mudslide. :)

Have a great time. We just love Grand Cayman. :)

Here's Breeze's menu...it may be just a partial, but it will give you an idea of what they have to offer. There's also the bar menu, which is a bit cheaper and has smaller portions, and things that aren't on the regular menu. Just remember the menu is in CD, so for US, just add about 20% and they also will add the 15% tip to your bill.

All the restaurants we went to were expensive, even Wendy's was expensive. I'm sure there must be somewhere on the island that's cheaper...where the locals go, but we didn't find it. We like Breezes because of the location...it's fun to sit on the balcony and watch the ships and the people, which is the main reason we like it. We also found the food to be good and the service has always been good (for us).

Because things are so expensive, we tend to order only what we'll eat (or take the leftovers back to the condo), and we have found that we end up sharing a couple of things rather than everyone having their own meal. Since you'll be getting back on the ship, you might just share a couple of appetizers (we like the conch fritters) and have a drink. Pork chops are pork chops...even in Grand Cayman, so maybe look on the menu for a couple of things you can't get at home or on the ship.

I didn't know that RP had lockers. And thanks for the cab fare info. I'll remember both of these things for the next time someone asks about RP. I've also heard that RP has a really good mudslide. :)

Have a great time. We just love Grand Cayman. :)

Thank you for all your help!!;)

Archived