Sovereign smell question

I've only cruised on Carnival before, so I'm taking a leap and going for a cruise on RCCL. My friend and I are looking at the Sovereign but about half of the reviews say there is a sewer smell on the ship...did anyone experience this and was it that bad??? Also what about smoking? Bad???? We are not smokers...

Thanks!

P.S. I looked for a thread addressing this but didn't find one...so if you know of one, point me to it!

I have been on this ship 3 times, the first two times never had a problem. The third time was horrible..deck 2 forward. Sewer smell so bad all three days ( thank goodness it was a short cruise!) Or cabin stweard tried putting chlorox soaked rags over the drains in our bathroom but to no avail, it only made the smell worse.

We were looking at booking a quick cruise to the Bahamas and were trying to decide between SOS or the Majesty. Our Travel Agent suggested the Majesty since it has been refurbished. Just a thought . . .

Just so you know, Sov. was refurbished too... but Majesty was more recent. I've been on Sovereign pre- and post-refurb and she looked great! I love the Sovereign, it was my first cruise and got me hooked!!

I was on her last June and didn't notice any smell... you'll have a GREAT time!! :D I'm not sure which Carnival ships you have been on, but I went on the Elation in Dec. and found more similarities than differences between Elation & Sovereign.

Have a great time!!!!

we booked the sov. for january 2008 in febuary 2007 and are hearing all sorts of different reviews and i take things with a grain of salt as you have complainers & you have COMPLAINERS and guess what? we can not back out now that would be a shame.:D

We sailed on SOS last summer and never noticed this sewer smell. We found the ship to be in tip top shape and very clean. On occasion, you would find a dirty bathroom as in any public place, but found the houskeeping staff to be very much on top of things.

Check out my thread dated 27 Jan.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=482184

and here are my pictures from the "Girl's Weekend" with pics of the room and repair persons :p .....

http://travel.webshots.com/album/557250046kIIvNn

Don't sweat it! You'll have a SUPER time!!

So is the Deck 2 Midship cabins more nortorious for having drain backup issues? I am booked in this area for a special occasion cruise in October on SOS, and I would really be bummed if I had to deal with this during a celebration....

Archived