Cucumber Beach

viva01

but it won't open. Is there anything you (or anyone) can tell me about it. DH and I are taking the family (17 of us) ages btwn 6 and 70 (a very young 70) and I think a beach break would be something everyone would enjoy.

but it won't open. Is there anything you (or anyone) can tell me about it. DH and I are taking the family (17 of us) ages btwn 6 and 70 (a very young 70) and I think a beach break would be something everyone would enjoy.

Nope, we are not talking about cucumbers on the beach and nope, it's not shaped like a cucumber either. This little paradise has an intriguing history. Around the mid 50's, a Florida vegetable farmer came to Belize with the intention of growing vegetables (among them cucumbers) and exporting them to the U.S.A. in the winter months. He set up farms around the village of Burrell Boom and used this port to package and load vessels bound for the U.S.A., hence the name Cucumber Beach.

A 10 minute drive West from Belize City brings you to a white sandy beach (about 350 feet long) with waters varying in depth from 2 ft. - 10 ft. In the horizon about 7miles to the East, is the second largest living barrier reef in the world - 180 miles long.

This little bay has various activities to choose from. On the beach you can dip into the Caribbean Sea, lounge under one of our palapas or a coconut tree with your favorite drink, or bask in the sun for a bit.

Our beach offers elegantly rustic amenities and has a fully stocked bar with tropical drinks, changing rooms and fresh water showers.

With our warm and friendly service, picturesque seaside view, tranquil sea breezes and totally laid-back ambience, you will feel relaxed and refreshed. You'll keep coming back again and again! All you need is yourself, and leave the rest up to us. Come to Cucumber Beach and escape into our reality!

• 1 month later...

Am curious if you went to Cucumber Beach and your thoughts on it. It is also known as Old Belize and, due to my interest in going somewhere close to the port, the following is what I received from someone at the Belize Tourism Board:

Warm Greetings from Belize!!!

The closest place for you to visit would be Old Belize. About 20 minutes

away, it doesn't get too crowded and they have a nice little restaurant and

beach chairs where you can relax. You can visit their website to get an

overview of their place; http://www.oldbelize.com.

To get to Old Belize there are cabs at the Tourism Village which can take

you.

Should you have additional questions, feel free to contact me anytime. Do

have a pleasant afternoon.

Kind Regards,

Karina Cunil

Marketing Officer

Marketing & Public Relations Dept.

Belize Tourism Board

Archived