Keeping track of kids...

TNT1827

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you have tried usuing those small two way radios as a way of keeping track of your teens onboard the ship. Do they work well, are they a pain in the butt, an advice would be appreciated.

Ted & Tammy

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you have tried usuing those small two way radios as a way of keeping track of your teens onboard the ship. Do they work well, are they a pain in the butt, an advice would be appreciated.

Ted & Tammy

We use them and they work out very well. Make sure you get ones with several channels. Everyone on the ship seems to use these to keep track of their kids and you will sometimes have to switch channels to find one that is not being used.

We also have a rule that we our kids have to physically check in with us every hour on the hour. They try to get out of this, but it is a absolute must with us!

TNT, my experience was different than noenre's. We found that reception was terrible, and they were such a pain to use that we packed them away after a few days.

But security for kids is vital, so here's what we're doing next time:

1. Physical check-in every 2 hours.

2. They must travel in packs, never alone. (We're sailing with a group of teens and parents, so this is feasible for us.)

3. They must stay in well-populated areas of the ship. We'll make a specific list the first day.

4. They may not, under any circumstances, go into the cabin of anyone they didn't know before they left home -- or even into the hallway outside that person's cabin.

5. Off the ship, they must stay with one of the adults in our group -- no wandering off or side-trips.

6. They already know to yell LOUD if someone is bothering them.

Honestly, when we sailed 2 years ago, I relaxed a bit after a couple of days. My daughter had so much fun doing "safe" stuff, and showed me that she was using good judgment. And it's surprising how often you run into them when you're just cruising around the ship -- which makes them always wonder if Mom or Dad is watching unseen.

Archived