Episcopal (Anglican) church on a Sunday?

OnTheBrink

Would it be possible to attend an Episcopal (Anglican) church in Barbados on a Sunday? How close would it be to the port?

My suggestion for you is to ask your parish priest..He or She would be able to get this information for you (through the Diocese) and probably even get you the telephone number for the parish in Barbados. I know when we were there this past April, we passed the Anglican Church on the way back from the beach and I don't think that it was that far from the where the ship docked. We were in St Thomas for Easter Sunday and our priest got us all the information for attending services there, but because we had to go through customs that morning we were unable to make it off the ship in time to go.

My suggestion for you is to ask your parish priest..

:) That would be my husband! I wanted to try to find some info and kind of surprise him. But I didn't think about how long it would take to get off the ship and all. Thanks for that reminder!

St. James Parish Church in Holetown, St James, is the oldest Anglican church on the island. Perhaps in the Western Hemisphere.

It was orginally constructed of wood close to where the original settlers arrived in Barbados in 1628.

We have an early and a 9am Sunday service, but I'm sure Reverend Layne would love to see you anytime that you can make it.

Please contact him at: jamesthegreat@caribsurf.com

Holetown is about a 25 minute taxi ride from the docks. Perhaps US$15 each way for up to four (4) in the cab.

And we would love to have you attend!

I think this would be a unique experience for you; How many can say they've been to services in a 400 year old church (plus we just love visitors!).

God Bless! :)

Would it be possible to attend an Episcopal (Anglican) church in Barbados on a Sunday? How close would it be to the port?

There is also the St. Michael's Cathedral which is also within walking distance/short taxi ride. It is a church that is very steeped in tradition and is in the heart of Bridgetown. The officiating Minister is the Dean Emeritus....

As you can see you have quite a few to choose from:D. The Anglican(Episcopalian) religion is the dominant religion on the island.

Hope you enjoy your visit to the island.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Do any of the taxi drivers offer Church tours?

We have visited Barbados several times, and have seen most of the churches in Bridgetown, as well as St. James in Holetown.

We will be back in Barbados in early December, and would like to see the other churches.

Thanks!

Archived