Is the water too cold in February?

I think I have decided on the Ecstasy in February. My kiddos have a few days off that week and its much cheaper than Spring Break. But I dont want to get there and have the water be too cold to enjoy. What is like that time of year?

Also, is there a good resort in Progreso, like the one in Montgeo Bay? I figured we would hang out at the pool in Progreso and Paradise Beach in Cozumel. I just can't find much to choose from. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

we were in Cozumel at paradise beach this past Feb...we went in the ocean...was alittle chilly but definitely not cold...the air temp was in the 80's... we enjoyed it considering it was cold and snowy back here in Ohio!! :)

Marsha

I think I have decided on the Ecstasy in February. My kiddos have a few days off that week and its much cheaper than Spring Break. But I dont want to get there and have the water be too cold to enjoy. What is like that time of year?

Also, is there a good resort in Progreso, like the one in Montgeo Bay? I figured we would hang out at the pool in Progreso and Paradise Beach in Cozumel. I just can't find much to choose from. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You will find that there is little difference between summer and winter in that neck of the woods temperature-wise.

Paradise beach is an excellent choice, as is Chankanaab if you are into snorkeling more than "laying out".

What a great time to visit Progreso! Please don't "waste" your time at the pool -- go to Merida and explore, or find a nice palapa and veg out! You will not regret a visit to this wonderful port.

Take a look at the port forum for Progreso (being careful to disregard the negative posts).

The water temperature in the Caribbean is pretty consistent all year round, maybe with a variation of 5 degrees or so. If you are in a place like Aruba, way south, it never changes, just like the weather.

BnB

Many cruisers are disappointed with Progreso because the beach is long and shallow so the water isn't the beautiful turquoise of the Caribbean. But with small children this is actually a great beach. The water is very calm most days and as I said, the water is shallow. Infact the pier goes six miles out into the Gulf of Mexico. The ship docks about five miles out and a shuttle service is provided into town. The shuttle runs continuously and is gratis. You will be dropped off a few blocks from the beach.

The cruise ship sells an excursion called the Corona Beach break. Corona Beach is very close to the pier. You don't need to buy the excursion to go there. You can just walk over and see if you want to go. You will probably save some money also but I can't say for sure.

You can view my pictures of Progreso here by clicking on the thumbnail.

497119852NtxUvi_th.jpg

Is the Corona Beach worth a shot? I thought I had read some bad reviews but I can't remember for sure. I probably should do a search.

Thank you for all the comments, we should be fine.

If you are looking for a party (read get drunk), it is fine. I preferred to find a vacant palapa and just enjoyed a quiet day on the beach with excellent, inexpensive food and drink.

Also, a trip to Merida is a great idea, especially if you have never visited an authentic Mexican city barely touched by tourists.

The Caribbean is great in the winter. Aim for Roatan, Honduras, and Grand Cayman for the best swimming in the western Caribbean. The ABCs (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) have great beaches as well. Cozumel is a great place and the people are absolutely wonderful but there are better beaches.

In the East, just about everywhere is good, except maybe the East coast of Barbados (beautiful but very rough). The black sand beaches are pretty spectacular and there are great beaches on: St. Thomas, St. Johns, St. Marten, Antigua, Puerto Rico, St. Barts, Ile-de-Sainte, Nevis, Martinique, St. Lucia, Barbados, etc, etc, etc.

Archived