Skagway to Emerald Lake

marysb

Never mind the questions about Sourdough & prices. If I had opened your link, it would have answered it.

It says "first come, first serve" - does that mean they don't take reservations?

Still curious about the time & distance involved. Would we need to plan to bring a lunch?

They do take reservatiuons, but may have cars for walk-ups. Figure on 5 hours for the round trip of 150 miles, with lots of stops including lunch. Emerald Lake is just a viewpoint, no activities there. There are several lunch stops in the area.

They do take reservatiuons, but may have cars for walk-ups. Figure on 5 hours for the round trip of 150 miles, with lots of stops including lunch. Emerald Lake is just a viewpoint, no activities there. There are several lunch stops in the area.

Yukon,

We would like to pick up a picnic lunch in Skagway before we leave for Emerald Lake, with your guide of course, is there a restaurant in Skagway that you can recomend for an early am pick up. We could call them the day before and pre-order if needed.

Thanks for your help.

Jill

Yukon,

We would like to pick up a picnic lunch in Skagway before we leave for Emerald Lake, with your guide of course, is there a restaurant in Skagway that you can recomend for an early am pick up. We could call them the day before and pre-order if needed.

Thanks for your help.

Jill

The Sweet Tooth Cafe right on Broadway, or Glacier Smoothies (on 4th? a half-block behind the historic Golden North Hotel) for "gourmet" sandwiches, can both do that without calling ahead.

Thank you Yukon,

I don't think that there has been one person on CC that has done Alaska without your valuable input. Same with Budget Queen.

On our first Alaska cruise we took the train. This time we are renting a car to do it on our own. I jwas ust browsing through the Skagway website looking for a sandwich shop. Now I have my answer.

Deb

We're going for the rental instead of the train (will spend the extra $$ on something to do with flying somewhere). My only phobia whenever I rent though, is not finding a place to fill up on near the car rental place. Anybody have any insight into the best filling station near Avis?

Someone recommended Caribou Crossing for lunch and to pan for gold (something my kids want to do).

Can you recommend this? Is it along the way to Emerald? When do they open? We'll be in Skagway May 6.

We're going for the rental instead of the train (will spend the extra $$ on something to do with flying somewhere). My only phobia whenever I rent though, is not finding a place to fill up on near the car rental place. Anybody have any insight into the best filling station near Avis?

There's only 1 gas station in Skagway, at 2nd and State Street, a couple of blocks from Avis. ( http://skagway.com/citymap.html )

Someone recommended Caribou Crossing for lunch and to pan for gold (something my kids want to do).

Can you recommend this? Is it along the way to Emerald? When do they open? We'll be in Skagway May 6.

Many businesses, including Cariboo Crossing, don't open until the cruise season really begins on May 12th. You'll need to take a picnic lunch. Depending on how our Spring goes, you may not even see the beuty of Emerald Lake - it could still be frozen over.

Many businesses, including Cariboo Crossing, don't open until the cruise season really begins on May 12th. You'll need to take a picnic lunch. Depending on how our Spring goes, you may not even see the beuty of Emerald Lake - it could still be frozen over.

Wow, thanks for letting me know. Should we still reserve a car and make the drive? Would you gamble? Or should we wait until closer to the cruise to decide? What is the likelihood they'll be snow on the roads? We like the idea of driving around and seeing what Skagway has to offer.

If Emerald Lake isn't worth the gamble, do you know of any places that offer panning for gold? Would that be in Skagway, Juneau or Ketchikan?

The docks are all marked - large cruise ships dock at all but the Ferry Dock. Having a ship parked at the Broadway Dock allows photos such as http://explorenorth.com/blog/1842-skagway-broadway-norwegian_pearl-3148-430.jpg when you have a long telephoto :D

Thanks Yukon! You are a weath of info! Did you see my questions about Emerald Lake and renting a car for May 6 (last post on page 3)? I would love your opinion about what we should do. If the drive has magnificient views (which is what I am reading about), would it still be worth it?

Thanks again!

Wow, thanks for letting me know. Should we still reserve a car and make the drive? Would you gamble? Or should we wait until closer to the cruise to decide? What is the likelihood they'll be snow on the roads? We like the idea of driving around and seeing what Skagway has to offer.

If Emerald Lake isn't worth the gamble, do you know of any places that offer panning for gold? Would that be in Skagway, Juneau or Ketchikan?

You should reserve a car. When you book with Sourdough you're allowed to go to Dyea, the site of another gold rush town that's all gone except a cemetery. The drive to Emerald is spectacular but even allowing 5 hours you have lots of time to get to Dyea as well. If there is any amount of snow on the road Sourdough will know and you can decide whether to go north or not then. The best gold panning is at the Klondike Gold Dredge in Skagway, but they may not be open yet either. The Back Alley Rock Shop in Skagway just off Broadway about half-way up also has gold panning.

The docks are all marked - large cruise ships dock at all but the Ferry Dock. Having a ship parked at the Broadway Dock allows photos such as http://explorenorth.com/blog/1842-skagway-broadway-norwegian_pearl-3148-430.jpg when you have a long telephoto :D

Hey Murray, I've got almost that exact shot of HAL Zuiderdam.

I think I'd make the reservation for the rental car, but check out the weather before you leave home, and if there is snow/ice, etc., I'd cancel the car. No way I'd drive unknown mountain roads in snow and ice. If you go to Murray's website, he has some fantastic photos of that area.

And if the lake is frozen, you won't see anything there anyway.

The lake has to be ice free, with the sun shining on it to get THE EMERALD LAKE view, and that's all it is. You are high up on a hill overlooking the lake. There is no road down to the lake, absolutely nothing there to do, once you see the view.

You should reserve a car. When you book with Sourdough you're allowed to go to Dyea, the site of another gold rush town that's all gone except a cemetery. The drive to Emerald is spectacular but even allowing 5 hours you have lots of time to get to Dyea as well. If there is any amount of snow on the road Sourdough will know and you can decide whether to go north or not then. The best gold panning is at the Klondike Gold Dredge in Skagway, but they may not be open yet either. The Back Alley Rock Shop in Skagway just off Broadway about half-way up also has gold panning.

Thanks so much! I just called and spoke with the former owners son (he just bought it from his parents). Nice, nice man and very helpful! I've got a car reserved and looking forward to the drive! Thanks Yukon for all your info and help!

And if the lake is frozen, you won't see anything there anyway.

The lake has to be ice free, with the sun shining on it to get THE EMERALD LAKE view, and that's all it is. You are high up on a hill overlooking the lake. There is no road down to the lake, absolutely nothing there to do, once you see the view.

Very good point. Since I am considering booking a tour for 5/14/11 that includes going to Emerald Lake, what are the odds that it will still be frozen? I agree that seeing a ice/snow covered lake would be rather pointless and I would then prefer to do something else.

Since I am considering booking a tour for 5/14/11 that includes going to Emerald Lake, what are the odds that it will still be frozen? I agree that seeing a ice/snow covered lake would be rather pointless and I would then prefer to do something else.

The odds of it being frozen on May 14 is near zero. When we werre talking about May 6th it could go either way - that's how fast things change in May.

Murray

The odds of it being frozen on May 14 is near zero. When we werre talking about May 6th it could go either way - that's how fast things change in May.

Murray

Thanks Murray! Yes, it is amazing how fast things change in Alaska. Here in Houston, we are use to just hot......

Thanks Murray! Yes, it is amazing how fast things change in Alaska. Here in Houston, we are use to just hot......

When I fired up the car to head into the office this morning it was minus 29 degrees, so all I can say is "aw, poor you!" :D

Indeed - he is THE Murray! CC's own "celebrity" of the North!:D Love his guide, used it successfully last year (BTW - our drive to Emerald Lake was my husband's favorite "excursion"!).

My DH was apprehensive about driving ourselves up to Emerald Lake. After I showed him the website and downloaded the guide, he's much more comfortable! (He's a Southern and I haven't told him yet that there may still be snow at the summit :rolleyes:)

We can't wait!!!

My DH was apprehensive about driving ourselves up to Emerald Lake. After I showed him the website and downloaded the guide, he's much more comfortable! (He's a Southern and I haven't told him yet that there may still be snow at the summit :rolleyes:)

We can't wait!!!

When I reserved the car from Sourdough for May 6, he told me that the roads up towards Emerald Lake would most likely be snow covered and asked if I had experience driving in the snow. He laughed at how much more snow those of us on the east coast have gotten than Skagway.

Archived