Debit Card instead of Credit Card

Roxanna

Has anyone had experience - positive or negative - using a debit card to pay for onboard purchases and excursions?

Also, if we present travelers' checks to the pursar (or whatever) at the onset, how much do they need? I've heard there can be some kind of "hold" on your debit card that screws things up. Need some enlightenment on this.

a couple of points many people have complained about debit cards(both that the amount is removed and the hold is left on) and also you get much less legal protection with fraud with a debit card than a credit card so its better to use a credit card if you have them. Yes many companies say they will handle them the same as credit cards but federal fraud protection only applies to a credit card and not a debit one.

one thing to do, we put the cash we wanted to use on the credit card..so it had a plus balance. that way we still used our cash and didn't have credit card charge. some use those pre-paid credit cards.

a refund can be applied to a credit card in days, but due to banking regulations...a refund to a debit card can take a week or more.

until the hold they put on disappears, it could be a problem for your balance on your debit card...and it can take some time for the hold to go away.

Just back from NCL Star and used a debit card for our on board account.

The hold has already been lifted...apparently it is bank specific and some remove it faster than others. We also notified our bank before we left that there would be $1,000 block put on the card (we had 2 cabins so $500 block for each cabin) so that they wouldn't consider it suspicious account acitivity and freeze the funds or something?!

I believe that cash/travelers cheque users are required to put down a minimum $500 deposit at check-in. Then at the end of the cruise you go to the Excursion desk to pay anything above that.

weve used our debit cards on every cruise weve been on .. no problems,

on NCL they preauthorized like 200 $ 2 times ... and then at the end, charged the full amount,,

I called my bank to let them know , and to make sure the debit limit wasnt low... i was also checking my account online while on the cruise , towards the end , to make sure everything was ok...

Melissa

We are not big fans of debit cards for many reasons. If you plan to cruise NCL regularly in the future, as we do, I would strongly recommend the NCL Mastercard. We saved a lot of money on cruises using it.

I'm in the industry so here is the difference.

With a debit card the funds are placed on hold for at least 24 hours depending on the financial institution. Some hold the funds till the charge clears. Others only 24 hours, but if another item clears in the few days before the charge clears your account the charge must be paid by the bank. This can cause overdraft charges, overdraft interest and may make other items bounce on the account. You only have 60 days from the date the charge appears on the statement to dispute or notify the bank of fraud. Some merchants like cruiselines car rental companies pre-approve a deposit causing a hold on funds in the account. Also, Note some gas stations place a $100.00 hold on funds once you swipe your card. I have also seen a few gas stations place a $500.00 hold.

With a credit card there is no time limit to report fraud. But you have the same 60 days to dispute charges. If you have a dispute or a fraud claim, the credit card company replaces the funds in your account and forwards the dispute to the merchant. The merchant then has 60 days to either prove the charge or respond why it isn't a legitmate dispute. If the dispute is denied the funds are again put on your credit card. If the merchant supplies a recipt with you signature the dispute is denied. This is the same on a debit card.

The moral of the story is never use you debit card for all the cruise. Use a credit card if at all posible. If you take a cruise this month the on board charges won't need to be paid until the next statement or two depending on when the credit cruiseline sends the charges through.

I know you may not want to pay interest on your credit card but there is no interest if the balance is paid the month it appears on the statement. Simply pay it from the funds in your checking account when the bill arrives after you return home.

If either type of card is lost or stolen the bank may close the account if the account goes negative or they beleive the charges may be the result of a lost or stolen card. Be sure to notify your bank or credit card where and when you will be traveling so they don't close your account your account because of unusual charges in a forgein company. Before you get the funds back they will require you to complete a lost stolen card affidavit sign it front of a notary and return it to them. Understand this will take several days unless they can fax it to you and you fax it back. When your moving on a cruiseship this can be difficult to do quickly. Once they receive the affidavit the funds will be returned to your account within 48 hours. Receiving a replacement card is more difficult, it can be express mailed to you, if you have a land address and will be there to sign for it.

Best idea! Use a credit card only unless it lost or stolen. Keep a debit card in the safe only carry it during travel to and from the ship.

As recomended by Cruise Critic use Keepyousafe.com to store copies of all you credit card numbers, credit card contact numbers, passport copies ect. If you have items stolen you can log on from any computer and retrive the information for free.

We have no credit cards and don't want any. (Age 60 and couple of short years from fixed income time.) So.........$500 in travelers cheque down to begin with......and finalizing payment at the end with debit card. Hmmm, gotta give some thought to what we're gonna do in-between don't we?

I haven't used travelers cheques in years, guess they're still around.

We have no credit cards and don't want any. (Age 60 and couple of short years from fixed income time.)

Even if you don't want a credit card, it still might benefit you to have one for certain kinds of financial transactions. We're simply in an age where most merchants expect electronic payment. It's also easier to deal with cancellations, returns, mistakes, etc, when it comes to electronic payments.

I have 2 different cards, but do not carry a balance month to month on either one. It's simply an easy way to pay, track expenses, and, in the process, accrue some nice cruise points... :)

Credit cards don't have to equate to debt.

Thanks everyone for the credit card info. This is our first cruise (Pearl to Alaska, 7/22), but hopefully the beginning of many more to come. What's the easiest way to get an NCL credit card? Request one thru their website? Sorry if stupid question. :o

Newman's dad, my brother lives in Castle Rock. I visited couple years ago. What a beautiful place! Is Newman your puppy? Very adorable.

Thanks everyone for the credit card info. This is our first cruise (Pearl to Alaska, 7/22), but hopefully the beginning of many more to come. What's the easiest way to get an NCL credit card? Request one thru their website? Sorry if stupid question. :o

Newman's dad, my brother lives in Castle Rock. I visited couple years ago. What a beautiful place! Is Newman your puppy? Very adorable.

Yes! Newman's my boy who loves to lay in the streams in my yard. You can and should get a credit card and pay it off monthly. I have three credit cards and only use them for trips. Get the cards with no annual fee. I haven't had a balance on the credit cards unless I could pay it from my checking account on the day I make the charge.

We did an Alaska cruise a couple of years ago with NCL using a debit card, and didn't have any trouble at all. We didn't do any excursions, so the only charges were tips, drinks, a couple of specialty restaurants, and some gambling advances. Our hold money was released as soon as the charges were applied on the last day.

However, there are a couple of other options

1. You can buy credit cards that are just like traveler's checks. You load them with a certain amount, and use them like a credit card. I think that some can be reloaded a certain number of times.

2. There are credit cards that are based on money you put in a saving account. The credit limit is based on the amount of money in the savings account. It works just like a regular credit card, too. This is advertised as a good option for people who don't have good enough credit to get a credit card with a high credit limit.

Yes! Newman's my boy who loves to lay in the streams in my yard. You can and should get a credit card and pay it off monthly. I have three credit cards and only use them for trips. Get the cards with no annual fee. I haven't had a balance on the credit cards unless I could pay it from my checking account on the day I make the charge.

I'm generally not big on credit cards, but it sounds like a good deal. I never carry a balance, so it would be a win-win situation. Will look into it.

How old is Newman? Is he a yellow lab? My brother has a German Shepard. You live in a nice area to raise a dog.

Use this link for NCL's card.

https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=FAAH6C&mc=A0000028IT

Archived