Sunset Beach

monjo

My husband, 8 year old son and myself are thinking about visiting Sunset Beach while in Jamaica. After hearing so many scary things, we were just wondering how safe it is just getting to Sunset Beach as well as safety once there. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We just returned from our cruise and went to Sunset Beach Resort. It was fun, but the food was not very good. It was a five minute taxi ride and we felt safe going to and from the resort. Sunset Beach is well organized and we had a great time.

Marlalevine,

What time did you guys disembark and head to Sunset Beach? My choice would be to wait until most are off the ship but then again, I would hate to miss out on the sunset beach experience because they were full. What did you do?

Thanks!

by Suset Beach (via email) that the hours are 10-6 for cruiseship pax. We waited a while before trying to get off the ship to let some of the crowd out. It fun watching from the side of the ship people get off and there are two Jamaican guys out there taking pics and talking etc. Anyway, we went ahead and got off around 9 and went down to the terminal. We were told there that SS beach was open and we went ahead and got a taxi (red liscence plate only!) and got to the beach. It was a fun day and we liked the food at the grill. I thought the burgers were very tasty. We also ate in the restaurant. It was pretty good too. Good jerk chicken. Not too hot, but spicy.

Once there, safety isn't a problem. The resort has security all over and usually one stationed by the fence that separates the resort from public land area. (far left end of the beach) and one by the "topless" area on the right side. I never saw any locals walk thru via driveway. There is a checkpoint booth similar to a compound when the buses arrive and I belive taxis and other form of transportation besides the resort buses drops you off just at the booth where you have to show proof that you are vacationing there and walk in.

I also saw the guard at the far left side of the resort and felt very safe while there. No one hasseling etc. There are a few vendors there, but not REAL pushy ones. If you stop at their booth they will pressure you a bit, but hey ...they are just trying to make a living. I bought a couple of necklaces from a lady who said she and her kids made the necklaces....not really convinced of this, but I'm sure the money will help them none the less and neclaces were really pretty.

We waited a bit for most of the people to disbark and then got off. We werent in too big of hurry. We got off around 9 and then looked around a little at the pier and then around 9:30 got a taxi and headed on over. There were already quite a few people there from the ships so I'm guessing they will let you in earlier than 10. I just didnt want to take the chance of being too early and having to wait outside the gate.

What is the cost to get into Sunset Beach? Do you book with the hotel before or just pay at the front desk upon arrival. what all is there to do there that is included in the price?

not sure what the cost is these days, but we paid we we arrived at the resort, no reservation necessary. They have a buffet breakfast and lunch, and food at a bar/grill, dont eat the burgers, not sure what kind of meat they were, but I wouldnt try it again. They have a pool with some really cool water slides, mini golf if you can find a ball, two seperate beaches (small)

a small gift shop and while we were there a person had all kinds of games going, like trivia stuff and such. I personally thought the food was good and the desserts were great, but we ate in the sit down resturant, just bring a cover up.

hope you have a great cruise.:)

Archived