Horseback riding in Belize?

nyc1234

Has anyone been to horseback riding in Belize? If so, which one did you go with (either through cruise line or directly on the web)? How was your experience? How much? And how far away from cruise terminal?

Has anyone been to horseback riding in Belize? If so, which one did you go with (either through cruise line or directly on the web)? How was your experience? How much? And how far away from cruise terminal?

We did the jungle horseback ride at Smuggler's Run with Trevor and Cathy and had a great time. We booked directly with them. It was ~$50-60 and included transportation, 2+ hours on horseback and a meal to die for! :D They will pick you up at the pier and bring back in plenty of time. Trevor and Cathy are super nice and will work to make sure you have a great time. They have horses for all skill levels. It had been over 40 years since I had been on a horse and I had a great time. You can reach Trevor at trevor@smugglersrunbelize.com . They do travel a good bit so it may take a day or two to get a response. We would go back in a heartbeat! Here is a link to a previous review with some pictures - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=9878573&postcount=4 .

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Perry

I also went horseback riding with Trevor and Cathy at Smuggler's Run. It was awesome! Cathy fixed an amazing lunch that was close to my favorite meal of the whole trip! We had such a great time we booked them again for our upcoming trip. The ruins this time....not horseback riding. But I would highly recommend them!

To both phopte and dizneefreak28, thank you so much for your response. I think I will try Trevor and Cathy also. Just curious, coralbreezetours.com has a horseback tour that mention Smuggler's Run, I wonder if that's the same tour as booking directly from Trevor and Cathy.

It looks as though it could be the same tour but I am not 100% sure. When last I talked with Trevor, he was not going through anyone else and was booking all tours directly but things might have changed. If you go, let us know what you think. We all agreed similar to dizneefreak28 that it was probably the best meal we had on the trip! :D

When you talk to him, tell Trevor I said "Hi!"

Perry

I agree with phopte that is looks like the same tour. The pictures are the same as the ones on their web-site. I would contact Trevor first. He might give you a better deal than Coral Breeze. Have a great time if you go! It was so much fun.

If Trevor ever returns my email, I'll know for sure if it's the same tour. I tried the form on the website, no response. I tried emailing him using the address you provided, no response. Perhaps he's too busy or isn't checking his emails.

About this "food" to die for, is it included in the price of the tour or is that something we pay separately? If we need to pay, how much would you say we need to spend per person?

My mom is interested in going, but she won't ride the horse. Instead, the coralbreezetours.com site have a horse carriage thing for $35. I emailed them and they said Cathy is in charge of the tour. Unless they lied to me, it does look like the same tour.

Thank you both for your help in this. If I do go, which is very likely, I'll be sure to post a review after my trip. :)

nyc1234: I know Trevor travels to the states frequently for business things. Maybe he isn't in town. He has usually been really good getting back to me. But once or twice I've had to write him a couple of times.

The food on our excursion was included in the cost. She made the best homemade keylime pie I've ever tasted! And the chicken was amazing also. I'm not sure if coralbreezes includes the food or not though.

The food is is included when you book through Trevor and Cathy. I have no idea about through coralbreeze. My wife couldn't horseback ride due to her back so she stayed at the palupa (sp?) and read while swinging in a large hammock. She said she enjoyed the peace and quiet. If your mom doesn't want to try the carraige I'm sure she can just hang out.

I second the info about Trevor traveling alot. Once you get in touch with him, I'm sure he will stay in touch. I don't know how soon you are planning to go but we wound up doing the final booking only a week before we got there.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thank you both for answering all my questions. I feel so much better hearing from others who have been on the same tour and actually like it. It's very hard to figure out what to do in another country just by looking at websites.

Two more stupid questions:

1. Does Trevor pick us up from the port or do we need transportation to/from the pier/port? If so, how long and how much is the ride?

2. Do you need to tip Trevor and Cathy after the tour? (I know it's common to tip when you buy food and/or drinks, but in this case, I am not really sure). If so, how much is appropriate?

Can't wait till my cruise date (in August) to hop on a horse for the first time. This is one thing I am looking forward to do while on this cruise. Thank you both for your time and assistance.

Thank you both for answering all my questions. I feel so much better hearing from others who have been on the same tour and actually like it. It's very hard to figure out what to do in another country just by looking at websites.

Two more stupid questions:

1. Does Trevor pick us up from the port or do we need transportation to/from the pier/port? If so, how long and how much is the ride?

2. Do you need to tip Trevor and Cathy after the tour? (I know it's common to tip when you buy food and/or drinks, but in this case, I am not really sure). If so, how much is appropriate?

Can't wait till my cruise date (in August) to hop on a horse for the first time. This is one thing I am looking forward to do while on this cruise. Thank you both for your time and assistance.

No stupid questions if you don't know the answer. :)

They pick you up and it will probably be Cathy based on what I have heard. She picked us up and has picked up everyone else that I had read about. The ride is around 30 minutes or so but it goes by fast. Cathy talks about the country and everything while she is driving. She might stop and get you some fresh bananas if they are still in season. They taste so much better than what we get here!

Trveor and Cathy own Smuggler's Run and as such, I don't think tipping is appropriate. It really felt more like a family get together to me as opposed to a vendor client relationship. I guess you will have to go with how you feel at the time.

Have fun and let us know how it went once you get back.

As phopte said they do pick you up at port. When we went it was both Cathy and Trevor picking us up. It was just my brother, myself and them. They gave us a little tour of Belize City with some great history while we drove to the plantation.

We did tip them. I tipped $20 and so did my brother. I booked my excursion based on info here...and the other people had. I'm not sure how all that works!

I do have some cool pictures I took. If you send me your e-mail address I'll send them to you. I've yet to get the hang of posting pictures on the boards.

As phopte said they do pick you up at port. When we went it was both Cathy and Trevor picking us up. It was just my brother, myself and them. They gave us a little tour of Belize City with some great history while we drove to the plantation.

We did tip them. I tipped $20 and so did my brother. I booked my excursion based on info here...and the other people had. I'm not sure how all that works!

I do have some cool pictures I took. If you send me your e-mail address I'll send them to you. I've yet to get the hang of posting pictures on the boards.

Please do email me your pictures to dannychan301@yahoo.com

Thanks for sharing!

Hello everyone

We also have gone with Cathy & Trevor---What a great day. Their place is beautiful. We do not ride--so we took the carrage ride to tour the ranch??

We plan to go back in December--want to book the ruins this time.

It is just a place you can enjoy no matter what you do. They pick you up and bring you back in plenty of time to do some shopping. They are a great couple. Just my favorite place in Belize. We have been there several times.

Have a great time whatever you do.

Hello everyone

We also have gone with Cathy & Trevor---What a great day. Their place is beautiful. We do not ride--so we took the carrage ride to tour the ranch??

We plan to go back in December--want to book the ruins this time.

It is just a place you can enjoy no matter what you do. They pick you up and bring you back in plenty of time to do some shopping. They are a great couple. Just my favorite place in Belize. We have been there several times.

Have a great time whatever you do.

Turtlebug: Did you reserve this directly with Cathy and Trevor or did you go through coralbreezetours.com? I don't see anything on Cathy and Trevor's website that mention the carriage tour, but there's a picture of such. Why can't I get in touch with them like everyone else?

Why can't I get in touch with them like everyone else?

For what it is worth, I know they have had issues with email spam blockers causing difficulties. I'll check at home and see if I see have their tlephone number. If you haven't heard from them by Monday, let me know and if I still have it, I'll email it to you.

nyc1234 and pjpurple6, you've got mail!

We booked directly with Trevor & Cathy for the carrage ride--We had a wonderful day with them. I e-mailed Trevor---Cathy called us for our information. Cathy picked us up at the pier. This was a great place to visit.

I just read that they are really developing their place---golf course--condo's

townhouses--etc.. BIG DEAL FOR THE

I hope some of the place stays the same---wonderful place.

HELEN

We booked directly with Trevor & Cathy for the carrage ride--We had a wonderful day with them. I e-mailed Trevor---Cathy called us for our information. Cathy picked us up at the pier. This was a great place to visit.

I just read that they are really developing their place---golf course--condo's

townhouses--etc.. BIG DEAL FOR THE

I hope some of the place stays the same---wonderful place.

HELEN

Dear Helen,

Would you happen to have the contact info for Trevor? It seems like everyone was able to contact him/Cathy, but I can't get through. I don't know why... Do you remember how much the carriage thing was? Thanks in advance.:)

I HIGHLY recommend going horseback riding in Belize with Trevor Miles...They will take very good care of you, know a lot about Belize, and have the best Key Lime Pie. They serve lunch and the ride is wonderful.

[http://www.smugglersrunbelize.com/

In Costa Rica, we went Zip linning and thru the canals with Charlie Soto.. he was very professional, and I would do it again.

http://www.okeydokeytours.com

and I went to the canal tour in Panama...just be sure to wear sunscreen...LOTS....you are in the sun for hours

Jan

I HIGHLY recommend going horseback riding in Belize with Trevor Miles...They will take very good care of you, know a lot about Belize, and have the best Key Lime Pie. They serve lunch and the ride is wonderful.

[http://www.smugglersrunbelize.com/

In Costa Rica, we went Zip linning and thru the canals with Charlie Soto.. he was very professional, and I would do it again.

www.okeydokeytours.com

and I went to the canal tour in Panama...just be sure to wear sunscreen...LOTS....you are in the sun for hours

Jan

Hi Jan, thanks for the info. I was looking for Trevor at Smuggler's Run too, but don't seem to be able to contact him. If you happen to have his contact info, please do share with me. Thanks! :D

I Have Been Away For Awhile--but Yes We Did Book The Carriage Ride Directly With Trevor At Smugglers Run.

We Sent An E-mail --he Got Back To Us Pretty Quick. He Is Just A Wonderful Person--very Busy At Times--so Just Keep Trying--he Will Get Back To You.

They Have Lots Of Things To Do There---beautiful Place.

Have A Great Time And Enjoy All You Can.

Helen

I Have Been Away For Awhile--but Yes We Did Book The Carriage Ride Directly With Trevor At Smugglers Run.

We Sent An E-mail --he Got Back To Us Pretty Quick. He Is Just A Wonderful Person--very Busy At Times--so Just Keep Trying--he Will Get Back To You.

They Have Lots Of Things To Do There---beautiful Place.

Have A Great Time And Enjoy All You Can.

Helen

Can you give me his email address, just in case I have been sending to the wrong one...:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived