i done did it now

joanagain

...i joined a cruise auction TA online site when i saw that for less than $700, i could buy a cruise, that i was intending to book....i was like, whooppee!

...but found out that the total price was more than i thought upon further examination, way more than any other quotes i had received, and opted out after having given all of my membership info...i did not read the fine print, and now i am notified that i won the cruise and i need to give the TA my credit information or pay a $95 cancelation fee...

my question is, am i bound to provide the TA with my cred card number in order for the TA to penalize me for not finalizing my booking...i know that i should go back to the site and check out what the booking policy is...but i am gun shy now, and do not want to go near that TA with a 10 foot pole...any one know of a similar situation?...

thanks

Many of life's lessons are hard-learned. This will be one of them for you, I'm sure. I believe you are bound by your choice. If the cancellation fee is just $95, and the other quotes were a good deal less than that, it would probably be best to pay the fee and be released.

I love using auction sites. We've gotten some great deals, and have been able to turn excess "stuff" into cash. However, I would personally not purchase anything of significant value on any auction site ... especially a cruise. JMO.

Good luck!

Post the info website name here and I will go check it out for you.

(or just use orcrone's info ;) )

:eek: !!!!!!

Actually, what's the old joke. Someone stole my wife's credit cards, but I haven't reported it yet. They're spending less than my wife did.:D

Seriously, DW is cheaper than I, so that's not a problem.

thanks...i am listening

Roboat...when you say "info" website name...do you mean the name of the TA..am i allowed to say SKYAUCTION ...

Jhannah...you are so right, and by this stage in life i should have graduated from the school of hard knocks...but i still have not learned my lessons...

Bambero...oh boy, would i love to just forgetaboutit!

At what point was the total price disclosed to you? Was it before or after you started filling out the membership information? And, was the fine print presented to you in a manner where you had to click that you agreed to the terms before you entered your bid?

If not, I wonder if you might be able to take it up with your credit card company, or at least the Better Business Bureau.

lisa

i had read about this site from a journal of a fellow cc..so, i believe they are legit...i filled in my personal info before i was told the complete price ...i found that out after i clicked that i would BUY this cruise...(it was not a bid, it was an out and out sale at an advertised price with added fees...$500 worth)

i did not see the fine print, so i neglected to look for it and read it...which i am still adverse to doing, but will do...

you know, some sites, know immediately when you are on their site...i just do not want to be greeted by "Welcome, joanagain...we've been waiting for you.

just to make myself perfectly clear...

i DID say i would buy the cruise...but that was before i was given the total cost of the cruise...i did not cancel, i just stopped the transaction and did not give anymore information...but i had already given enough... except my cc number.

Are you sure that this is a legitimate website? It could be just a scam to get your personal information. I'd be very careful to check this site out before giving out your CC number.

SkyAuction is indeed a legitimate web site and they do reveal all charges to you before you bid - if you read the page completely. Which is something anyone should do before buying anything.

I don't know if you'll eventually be required to pay any fee, but I sure don't like their tactics.

Whatever you do, do NOT give them your credit card number. Or your SSN or Driver's License number.

And I would talk to your local Better Business Bureau as well as the Better Business Bureau where the company is located (if you can find that out). Is this a US web site?

The Feds have an Internet Fraud Complaint Center set up at http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

If you have contact with your auction folks again, let them know that you contacted these agencies and/or filed your complaints. I'll be they don't come after you for any money. If they do, and they are legitimately entitled to it, fine. But at least you've done all you could to protect yourself against scam artists.

Then you can use the dough to tip someone who has given good service and deserves it.

just to make myself perfectly clear...

i DID say i would buy the cruise...but that was before i was given the total cost of the cruise...i did not cancel, i just stopped the transaction and did not give anymore information...but i had already given enough... except my cc number.

I've used SkyAuction many times - you are always given full details of the additional costs before you submit your bid - its all on the page where you enter the bid. They are indeed a legitimate company, and if you submitted a bid you are bound (both legally and morally) to either buy the package or pay the fee.

I once entered a bid for a R/T flight to Milan on a Lufthansa sponsored auction site. It was the first bid and very low, but it was for two specific flights. Lo and behold, no one overbid me! :eek: It only cost me $35 to get out of that one!

Oh, and if you go to visit the site again, first delete any cookies on your computer. Then they won't know who you are. To delete cookies, if you use Microsoft Internet Explorer, select Internet Options from the Tools menu, then click in the box that says "Delete Cookies."

And I would talk to your local Better Business Bureau as well as the Better Business Bureau where the company is located (if you can find that out). Is this a US web site? The Feds have an Internet Fraud Complaint Center set up at http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

Before libeling a legitimate business as a "scam artist" and tieing up the already overworked fraud squad, it might be well to determine if a scam actually took place.

Unfortuanately I think you have to stand up and pay the fee of $95. If you read the description of the trip it clearly shows the date surcharges (and the amount) as well as any other fees/port charges/taxes etc. that are not included in your buy price.

Great buys can be found on lots of websites but as a buyer it is your responsibility to read everything that is presented and make a wise choice.

I've been burned before paying more for something than I could have gotten locally but it was a lesson well learned.

if you submitted a bid you are bound (both legally and morally) to either buy the package or pay the fee.

I agree, but I'd say that if (1) the bid transaction is not completed (no CC number), or (2) you have been misled about the amount of your bid, then there is no bid.

I just went to the SkyAuction website to try to see what the story is. Even though I hit "Purchase", it wouldn't let me get past the "Purchase" button without a credit card number. I also didn't see a thing about additional fees in the fine print, but I'm sure I didn't enter the same itinerary. So I'm a bit puzzled about the situation reported. :confused:

I imagine we could be talking about different sites. Maybe there's a fake "skyauction" website out there besides the legitimate one? I did see several calling themselves "Sky Auction."

I just went to the SkyAuction website to try to see what the story is. Even though I hit "Purchase", it wouldn't let me get past the "Purchase" button without a credit card number.

No auction site let's you do anything without registering, including giving them a credit card number. Too many people suddenly get "cold feet" once they find out they have the winning bid.

But go to the site. Click on "cruises" on the first page. The first one listed is a QM2 cruise ("July 17, 2005 6-Night Transatlantic New York, NY to Southhampton, England Including Transatlantic Airfare!") with a min bid of $1155/PP. This is, as you see when you scroll down, for airfare back to NYC, with an add-on (listed) for other cities. Its also for an inside cabin, but Oceanview is available for $650 in addition to your winning bid (PP). Fees & port charges ($323/PP) are also listed as additional.

Should someone from LA get the winning bid at the minimum ($1155/PP), the final bill would be $1155 + $419 (Air add-on) + $323 (fees) = $1897/PP for inside, $2547/PP for ocean view.

I agree, but I'd say that if (1) the bid transaction is not completed (no CC number), or (2) you have been misled about the amount of your bid, then there is no bid.

I totally agree. I am not a lawyer, but I have participated in many legal reviews of agreements and can give you my opinion.

I believe you are not legally obligated to pursue this. Below is an excerpt from the (incredibly weak) site agreement - which appears to have completely bypassed any credible legal review . The bolding is mine and you can ignore the non-bolded words..............

"To place bids on this Site or use certain other functionality of the Site, You must complete our online registration form, thereby providing us with certain information, including, but not limited to, the identification code to be used by You when You access this Site (Your ID), Your email address and Your credit card information to be used for any winning bids You may have or the Administrative Fee described below."

Then, under Payment Terms...

This Administrative Fee, and any other payments You must make hereunder, will be charged to the credit card listed in Your user profile.

So this agreement seems to me to be unenforceable.

On the other hand, I saw only a $15 surcharge that would be added to your bid, which seems reasonable in my opinion. But I didn't go any further than reading the agreement. Were there other charges tacked on?

I totally agree. I am not a lawyer, but I have participated in many legal reviews of agreements and can give you my opinion. "To place bids on this Site or use certain other functionality of the Site, You must complete our online registration form, thereby providing us with certain information, including, but not limited to, the identification code to be used by You when You access this Site (Your ID), Your email address and Your credit card information to be used for any winning bids You may have or the Administrative Fee described below."

Then, under Payment Terms...

This Administrative Fee, and any other payments You must make hereunder, will be charged to the credit card listed in Your user profile.

So this agreement seems to me to be unenforceable. /QUOTE]

What do you see as unenforceable???? These are essentially the same terms that any auction agency (both on-line and B&M) impose.

well i am in a pickle...but again $95 is not nine thousand...i just have to get over the shock that they asked ME for money

cactuslady

...yes, that is what i did, i pressed the purchase button and then i saw that my cruise was listed with the additional fees and i was asked for my cc number...and then i left the site.

i do not know if there is a difference between bid and buy...but i did not go through a bidding process and i did not look to see what the itinerary was,...i already knew that ...anyway i was so excieted to get a cabin, i wanted to get to the confirmation, ...i did not misread, i didn't read.

...lord, i would make a terrible witness...

this is the text from the second letter i received...

Our site terms and conditions call for you to contact us within 72

hours of the close of the auction you have won. It has now been 7 days and

you have not yet contacted us with your travel details or an indication

that you would like to pay now and select your travel dates later.

This inactivity jeopardizes your ability to claim the trip that you have

won. You may also incur a $95 administrative fee.

Please contact us immediately and provide us with your travel details

and payment information. Please be advised that due to the delay in the

receipt of this information, it may already be too late to process your

reservation.

This is the last reminder about claiming this auction that we will send

you. To avoid charges or losing your trip, please contact us ASAP.

To provide us with your details click here:

http://www.skyauction.com/myvacations

If you have any questions please email us at winners@skyauction.com.

Email is the fastest and most effective way to reach our dedicated team

of support agents.

Thank you for your valued business.

Sincerely,

So when you did "Buy it now", was the total the Bid Price PLUS the Port fees or was it more? If it's more than what was on the Ad you should not be liable for a service charge.

Another question.. Did it happen to be a RCCL or a Celebrity Cruise? Both underwent price increases yesterday as a result of the new rules. The majority of Skyauction TA's are wholesalers. This may have caused some problems with changes in pricing from the time the buy-it-now ad was put in until you selected it. In this case, you shouldn't be liable either.

I would go in and change your profile on Skyauction to remove your e-mail adderss and other information.

Cactuslady - if you have DSL, If you buy a Router to put between your Modem and the computer no one will get your IP address - just the random IP address assigned by the DSL company. It's a must for security. FYI

Archived